hugh dorsey

Visa Ban Re-entry
Hello All

I have an, umm, friend who did something stupid and overstayed his visa by accident. Well actually may have been inbound police's fault too but that's over now.

Anyone know of someone "banned" for three months that was allowed back in before that? I have heard conflicting information.

Personally I have been in and out of TK here for 25+ years and still not sure if the immigration control systems are legit.

THANKS in advance (from my friend)!!

Visa Ban Re-entry
i once overstayed almost 2 years, and came back the next day - but things have changed, i guess - that was over 15 years ago ... 10 years back i was late leaving cause i had to wait for my then pregnant wife to be fit to travel and get her visa for the uk - 200 US fine on the spot, but no bar from re-entry. if that represents a trend, i think they just shoot you on exit now.

Visa Ban Re-entry
I wonder what would happen if you or your partner/ child were taken ill and could not travel or were hospitalised and your visa ran out whilst awaiting to be declared fit to travel. Would you be ok if you had a letter from the doctor/hospital, would you have to notify the authorities and would you just risk it at the airport. Thought about this a few times as once I was taken ill and had to stay before being declared fit to fly, fortunately our visas were ok but things do happen out of one's control. There must be a allowance for genuine illness surely.

Visa Ban Re-entry
My friend was hospitalize and unfit to travel when her visa had lapsed, about 18months ago, she had letters confirming she could not fly due to her injuries from her surgeon in izmir, it didn't make any difference to the passport police at Dalaman, they charged her 250tl fine, and, was banned for 3months, she has lived here for 11years, has her own home, a turkish husband, and a daughter, phone calls to the surgeon, by the police at dalaman made no difference at all.... so, beware !!!!!!!!

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Visa Ban Re-entry
IMM...Did your friend get a new passport in TK or his homeland? Do you use the new or the old to leave TK? If the old I guess that means he must pay the fine too--wonder if exit on the new one would see the initial entry date or if you could say you just got here 32 weeks ago??

It was a legal (currency) problem, not overstaying, that caused the expulsion (put on next flight out) and ban on ever coming back. New passport got in UK was not queried on re-entry a few months later.

Ian

Briand

Visa Ban Re-entry
A couple who we know now living in didim let their visa run out by three weeks, told the builder who said its no problem it happens all the time. Took them both to aydin to have an exstention on visa and then on to kos for their visa renewal, how they got away with it I don't know.
Seems to me its not what you know but who you know. They prefer to go to kos every three months for 90 day visa.

Briand.

Last edited:

hugh dorsey

Visa Ban Re-entry
Thanks guys--

Interesting stories here--Good they don't stamp "Banned" in the passport.

It seems like the theme here is that the less formal (ie IST Ataturk airport versus Greek railroad border) might be the key to talk the ban down--I just hate risking it.

Any other success crossing stories? The same day return confuses me as aren't you seeing the same border guards that banned you when you come back in? Anybody lucky with some under the table persuasion?

Ne Mutlu Turikye'de Yashmak Diyene

kiaya

Visa Ban Re-entry
I'm baffled by this. We have the same questions being asked on TLF on a rotation basis. e.g:- 30/90 day tourist visas,passports running out,residency permits expiring, can you work in Turkey (NO YOU CAN'T LEGALLY),can you buy in a Military Zone , etc,etc. Please people read this forum because there are very knowledgable people on here(KKOB for one) who have had experience of all these problems and give their advice freely but we still keep going over the same old ground.
If your visa runs out whether you are in Turkiye, U.K., United States & most other countries you will be deported.
N.B But they will still have to find you if you are in the U.K.

Also the stamp on your passport means nothing because they always scan your Passport and this is the determining factor of how long you have been in Turkiye.They have been scanning passports now for about 15 years.

Last edited:

ChrisBobs

Visa Ban Re-entry
Ditto Kiaya!
Hugh- I cannot see anyone who said they had the same day re-entry when they left on an overstay!
It would not happen NOW!
( Seems some old stories told and the Didim builder story of extension then Kos run is not something repeated you notice)

My impression is that they have tightened up enormously - and that has a lot to do with EU border controls too - so Greek road border might be worse?!

Your 'friend' may have to wear it- leave- pay and come back with a new passport.....

Good luck

hugh dorsey

Visa Ban Re-entry
Kiaya-Senior Member

Thank you for your legal advice--was that Yale or Harvard Law school you are an alumnus of?

Can't speak for the UK but in the US you are not deported if your visa runs out contrary to your claim. In fact out of status visa holders still retain the right to work for wages on B visas.

As you are aware there is most often a difference between the law as written and the law as enforced. The differs from sovereign geographical locations as well as time periods. So the kind people on this board and their collective experience and wisdom is as important as the law itself.

And where exactly do you see the Passport control scanning passports? You might be confusing the airline which indeed does scan for flights to EU and US flights with that of the Turkish Immigration. But the TK government does not. Well, not in the last 25 years I have been here at any Air or land border have I seen that although never entered by sea where that might happen.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Visa Ban Re-entry
And where exactly do you see the Passport control scanning passports? You might be confusing the airline which indeed does scan for flights to EU and US flights with that of the Turkish Immigration. But the TK government does not. Well, not in the last 25 years I have been here at any Air or land border have I seen that although never entered by sea where that might happen.

Well, you obviously haven't been paying very much attention to what's been happening when you handed over your passport on entry and exit at Turkish Passport Control during the last 25 years. All passports and ID cards are scanned and I know from first-hand experience that records of entry and exit at all ports of entry in Turkey can be recalled for at least the last 10 years.

With the kind of attitude that you've displayed to a senior member, who's given you a very good answer to your question, in the very short time that you've been on this forum, I do hope we won't be seeing much more of you on here.

Last edited:

hugh dorsey

Visa Ban Re-entry
hmm

Perhaps we have a language issue here

Only Canadian & US inbound flights (via Us or EU) carriers have optical scans of the Passenger's front cover of the passport.

The passports are read for holder name via an electronic computer reader but they are not optically scanned. So the issue of whether they stamp the passport as banned is important. (found out they do NOT stamp the passport for anyone interested). And apparently a Brit couple who were both expelled for over 5 years went to another border post and re-entered the next day.

I will report the results ---

Teveccühünüz!

hugh dorsey

Visa Ban Re-entry
With the kind of attitude that you've displayed to a senior member, who's given you a very good answer to your question, in the very short time that you've been on this forum, I do hope we won't be seeing much more of you on here.

Sorry Spanky, no such luck.

JEANNIE

Going to get Thinner
Visa Ban Re-entry
I see it's youself that your talking about re the overstay!!!. :attention The british passport does get scanned.

Jeannie

Visa Ban Re-entry
Just came back from second attempt to get to Kos ... ferry again postponed ... possible tomorrow, but wind forecast doesn't look good. Any idea if, should my tourist visa expire before the next boat leaves, how easy it is to return the same day (seeing as it is due to ferries not sailing)? Not too bothered about the fine so much as being able to return. Am planning to ask the buro chef at the harbour tomorrow if it doesn't sail, but wondering if nayone has any experience of overstay under those circumstances.

My visa runs out Sunday...and have court appointment on the Monday ... so hoping to go tomorrow. If tomorrow doesn't sail, will be 4 days late.

Any advice urgently appreciated.

Neil

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Visa Ban Re-entry
Hello. Sorry to hear of your predicament. Have thought we might have same problem in future. Please let us know how you get on.
Is Kos ferry cancelled often in winter? Derek.

Gail

Visa Ban Re-entry
Neil I think the ferry only runs on a Mon, Wed and Fri so next sailing will be Monday! Superbogs said he has renewed his visa at Bodrum without leaving the country you could give that a try.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom