M

Mack

VIP Tour of Perge, Antalya
For anyone around the Antalya area on Saturday 29th August, I have organised in conjunction with the site excavation team from Istanbul University a very rare chance for an expert guided tour of the ancient city of Perge to help raise funds for the dig.

Price is 50TL 8am - 3pm and we'll be having some lunch at a 5 star restaurant in the forest nearby afterwards.

Ive been working with the excavation team on site for a couple of weeks now and we can have access to trenches and sites the public dont get to see, everyone is welcome, more details on 3020-Sat-29th-Aug.-VIP-Perge-Tour | AE-Social-Activities

For anyone interested in Perge Ive also knocked up a quick Virtual Tour HERE.

Last edited:

Martyn

Looks great, I wish I was there I would go. Love anything like that, been to Herculanium, Pompeii and Ephesus.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Good luck with it. If we were a bit nearer I'd definitely have been up for it.

Sounds great Martyn and sitting here watching the rain bounce of the window in Scotland - makes us want to throw everything into a suitcase and head for the first flight out. The virtual tour scenes were amazing.

Jean and I would love the same opportunity next year, when we come over for a much longer stay. We would probably spend a few more days in the area to experience`life in Antalya`, in comparison to Akbuk, which would be a further bonus.

Ah well! Back to the rain beating on our window and the dog watching me with his legs crossed (lol)

M

Mack

Just a last minute reminder of our trip if anyone wants to come we have 2 spaces left :).

Bubskar

It looks incredible - can't make it this time but wouldn't mind some time in October?

M

Mack

Hi Bubskar, unfortunately the excavation team return to the university in a couple of weeks and winterise the dig, it will still be open to the public but just the "normal" site and not some of the new trenches and sites, if I can pull some strings then hopefully we can repeat the event next year too :)

Hi Mack...i cant make it this Sunday ..i wish i could.thanks for the virtual thingy though.

İ love Perge. Years ago when i first went to Perge there was no ticket place, nobody taking any money, no touts outside...no fences and we just wandered around all day ..it was wonderful..i had already been to Ephesus a few times ..and thought it couldn't be beaten...but in my opinion Perge is as impressive if not better, and now with all the latest excavations and tidying up it will eventually be as big a draw as Ephesus.
the Roman baths are fantastic and for the first time i could understand the system they used as so much is still standing.
The Stadium is one of the biggest in Asia and even though in need of restoration you can still imagine it when chariots would be racing round .
You are so lucky Mack to be able to have access to the digs and the knowledge.

Caterham

Hi Mack

Thanks so much again for organizing this. It was incredible and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I can't believe it was my first time there as I was once told it was overpriced at 15TL - it would be cheap at twice that!

I'd recommend anyone visiting the Antalya region to go to Perge. And to take you along as their guide ;-)

All the best
Tracey

M

Mack

Thanks for your kind message Tracey, it was great to meet you and I enjoyed it thoroughly too, Professor Haluk and his team are so grateful to you all for attending and supporting a local cause, hope to see you back in Antalya with "the gang" soon :)

AEPergegang.jpg

Last edited:

Andy

Hi Mack any chance of another visit to perge when i'm over in Oct would be good to put a face to your name.

Andy

M

Mack

Hi Andy,

Would be great to meet to meet you too. The excavation team will leave Perge to go back to Istanbul University in a couple of weeks so the trenches will be closed down for the winter but if you wanted a tour round the city thats open to the public and some "inside info" then id be more than happy to take you to my second home :)

Hi Mack
If you do organise another trip within the next six months could you let me know. My Mum is over and would dearly love to go to Perge. She was so sad to read that she had missed this trip as it was the day after she arrived.

Sounds like you all had a fabulous time.

Soo x

Andy

Thanks Mack i'll keep in touch.

We are over on 9th Oct and looking for good places to visit within a 100 mile Radius of Alanya.

M

Mack

Hi Mack
If you do organise another trip within the next six months could you let me know. My Mum is over and would dearly love to go to Perge. She was so sad to read that she had missed this trip as it was the day after she arrived.

Sounds like you all had a fabulous time.

Soo x

Hey Soo, of course I will, it would be wonderful if youre well enough to see you too, now being part of the volunteer excavation crew Id like to do an annual tour like this while the team are on site but if theres enough interest then I can arrange some tours anytime, we have learnt so much "from the horses mouth" and learnt that 75% of the information publically available about Perge is rubbish (including the official info from the Ministry of Culture in Turkey!) that its nice to know the real story of the place.

If anyone would like to donate to the Perge fund then I have setup an online donation account that will go directly to the Perge dig team fund (not the ministries pool of funds!) and it can be found on the bottom left of every page at Antalya Expats .com - A Directory and resource for everything in Antalya, Turkey and any donations will be very gratefully recieved by them.

Alternatively we had some commemorative caps made and have a couple left up for sale to go into the fund too :)

Page-4 | 3020-Sat-29th-Aug.-VIP-Perge-Tour | AE-Social-Activities

capback.jpg

Bother only just seen this thread, if you do arrange any tours please let me know as I know hubby would be interested and its not far from us.

Sue

Latest Posts

Top Bottom