Vegetarians Beware
Tomorrow is the start of the slaughter Byram

So be prepared to stay away from farming areas and don't look to closely into people garden as they tend to have Sheep strung up in trees preparing them for the evening feast.

2 years ago we lived in front of a lovely little farm stead and the boys loved look at the animals. On the morning of the feastival loads of people turned up and colleted sheep and a large bull calve was tied up on our wall and you can guess the boys just loved looking at it and kept keeping us updated to what it was doing. Then 1 hour later it disappeared round the corner the boys asked if they could go and find it....... O M GOD I thought!!!!
After a few brides they forgot the Calve...

On a walk out later that afternoon we found the head in a Bin my wife was mortified and I was left with the hard task to explain to a 3 and 5 year old what had happened.... The walk end very soon after that. That was our first experience of the Byram

So iyi bayramlar and enjoy your day at home tomorrow. :behindsof :behindsof :behindsof

pebble

Vegetarians Beware
When we were kids, about 2-3 weeks before the bayram people in our apartment building would buy their sheep and they would be kept in the yard, of course as children we loved hanging out with them, playing with them etc., then the day of the slaughter would come and we would be devastated, but it never kept us from watching. We were forbidden to go outside, but we would watch from the balcony. My parents were mortified at the whole process, but i guess since we were raised with it, and all our friends considered it normal, we took it in stride.
I remember several things very vividly........ the cleaning of the intenstine....they would fit it over the hose and everything would squirt out....yuck.......
then the smell of blood for days afterwards, and blood pooled in the gutters. cause everyone would just spray their hose and get rid of the blood from their garden, but it would all go outside to the street.

So when we came back, and the first kurban bayrami, i thought, best not to have my daughter witness this, being a bit on the barbaric side, i didnt want her to have nightmares....... But i found out that it is now illegal to slaughter the sheep yourself, you have to take the sheep to a centralized place where the belediye have butchers set up. so we didnt see anything that would have bothered us.
This year however, My daughter has been invited by a friend to go to the place where they sslaughter them, apparently this gals family is going to have something slaughtered. I said it was up to her, but I wouldnt go. she hsnt decided yet if she is going to go or not.

anyway, happy bayram to everyone....

no-nem

Vegetarians Beware
Yeah just seen some guys grapple with and stuff a terrified live ram into the boot of a Tofas Sahin and close the lid. Very active sheep and Ram mkt. today in Davutlar.

Last edited:

Skiddly

Vegetarians Beware
Has anyone told the people of Dalaman it is illegal to slaughter animals in their gardens as they are all ready to do so tomorrow?

Higgy

Higgy
Vegetarians Beware
Trying to stop Customs and Culture in a foreign land could get you
in big trouble especially when they have huge razor sharp knives in their
possession. Lol.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Vegetarians Beware
Well, riding a scooter / motorbike without a crash helmet is illegal in Turkey. Even the Polis and Jandarma treat that law as a joke.

What interest are they likely to have in stopping people slaughtering animals at home on Kuban Bayram? Especially in the villages.

There'll be the odd "jobsworths" out, checking on people, and no doubt a few prosecutions to show the media that they're cracking down. But, in reality, it's a tradition that's unlikely to be stopped.

Last edited:

CJD

Vegetarians Beware
Last year we were invited by our neighbours to witness
the slaughter of their goat, I have to admit I was a little
nervous having heard & read hysterical reports on this ceremony,
The goat was led to the bottom of the garden and we all
stood around quietly the official man who does the slaughter
arrived and he held the head to the ground and made one cut
there was a gurgleing and the briefest of struggles, Haria had
a tear in her eye having raised the goat from a kid.
The goat was then strung up from the orange tree and skinned
cleaned and butchered in the most precise skilled manner.
We were then served lunch on the terrace which was not the
goat that had just been slaughtered and was a lovely family affair.
During the afternoon Haria and her daughter in laws were busily
delivering bags of meat to friends and family around the village.

I felt very privaleged to have been invited, and in no way found
it distastefull or barbaric

I think so many people have become so used to buying meat
in sanitised polestyrene packets that they have forgotten
that it is an animal they are buying and eating, that was
slaughtered in an abatoir in far more terrifying conditions

iyi bayramler :)

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Vegetarians Beware
It's both. There are a number of stories in the Bible which also appear in the Koran.

It marks the famous biblical story where God showed mercy to Abraham by allowing him to sacrifice a ram instead of his son.

Many of the "characters" in the Bible are regarded as Prophets in the Islamic religion.

Guz1

Vegetarians Beware
Steve,

I think someone posted an explanation about this a while back. Doesn't it have something to do with the story of Abraham being willing to sacrifice his son as a sign of obedience to God and God telling him to sacrifice a lamb instead? Then again, I could be way off the mark.

(I see KKOB had posted an explanation while I was typing this).

mavi

Vegetarians Beware
Guz1 said:
Steve,

I think someone posted an explanation about this a while back. Doesn't it have something to do with the story of Abraham being willing to sacrifice his son as a sign of obedience to God and God telling him to sacrifice a lamb instead? Then again, I could be way off the mark.

(I see KKOB had posted an explanation while I was typing this).

here it is..

:angel:

Peaceplant

Cat mad and unashamed
Vegetarians Beware
One thing that I will never agree with is this slaughter. Seen enough horrific sights over the years including my neighbour in Yali bringing home a sheep and a local barman arriving with an axe. I shed a lot of tears that day and went into hysterics when I fled out the back door where there was an open field and saw a man with a cow and a hammer - turned out he was just tethering it to graze!! Phew...

All that blood and gore supposedly for God - don't get me started!!!!!!

Vegetarians Beware
pebble said:
When we were kids, about 2-3 weeks before the bayram people in our apartment building would buy their sheep and they would be kept in the yard, of course as children we loved hanging out with them, playing with them etc., then the day of the slaughter would come and we would be devastated, but it never kept us from watching. We were forbidden to go outside, but we would watch from the balcony. My parents were mortified at the whole process, but i guess since we were raised with it, and all our friends considered it normal, we took it in stride.
I remember several things very vividly........ the cleaning of the intenstine....they would fit it over the hose and everything would squirt out....yuck.......
then the smell of blood for days afterwards, and blood pooled in the gutters. cause everyone would just spray their hose and get rid of the blood from their garden, but it would all go outside to the street.

So when we came back, and the first kurban bayrami, i thought, best not to have my daughter witness this, being a bit on the barbaric side, i didnt want her to have nightmares....... But i found out that it is now illegal to slaughter the sheep yourself, you have to take the sheep to a centralized place where the belediye have butchers set up. so we didnt see anything that would have bothered us.
This year however, My daughter has been invited by a friend to go to the place where they sslaughter them, apparently this gals family is going to have something slaughtered. I said it was up to her, but I wouldnt go. she hsnt decided yet if she is going to go or not.

anyway, happy bayram to everyone....
Hi Pebble
I loved that post as a very honest experience from your childhood and how if affected your attitude with your daughter in later life.
To us closeted UK people its a fascinating insight.
Thanks

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom