bobthenob

Non Active Member
Vegetarian
Just wondered if we have any members that are vegetarian or are thinking of converting to being a vegetarian.
Since health is a responsibility for each person.l have given it some thought now by reading up on vegetarian diet how it is beneficial to one’s life.The fruit and veg that has the ingredients to combat certain ailments from occurring and also strengthening the immune system seems to be the right way to go.l heard all the ingredients in the vegetarian diet has all what the body needs for being healthy.We don’t need meats to remain healthy.
Eating animal and diary products does seem to trigger off some ailments.l suffer from gout and have been suffering from this crippling disease for some time now which l know is self inflicted.Every time l consume red meats cheese or any other animal products,l feel the effects of this disease and suffer for about a week.Proteins are very rich in animal products and tends to settle between the joints with a massive amount of uric acid they produce.
The thought of eating non-animal products is something l am seriously thinking of taking up.
How easy is it to become a vegetarian and how hard is it to stay away from meat products when someone invites to a BBQ evening.
Also,how easy is it to find yummy vegetarian recipe’s
I need to change my diet if l want to remain healthy and fit

Last edited:

GnD

Vegetarian
I choose to eat veggie 80% of the time as I just prefer it. Don't want to totally give up meat and become a veggie but am happier when eating less meat, I feel healthier.

I can send you some recipies later, but for now tinned beans, instead of the meat, with most chilli recipies is a good way to start.

Will have time to think of more later.

Debbie x

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Vegetarian
Bob,

I don't think that in the case of meat it's something that you have to give up alltogether. It's mainly about eating things in moderation (excuse the pun) and having a healthy, varied diet.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Vegetarian
Bob,

I don't think that in the case of meat it's something that you have to give up alltogether. It's mainly about eating things in moderation (excuse the pun) and having a healthy, varied diet.

You have a good point there Allen.l have to confess the other week when l was invited to a BBQ evening.l had 6 sausages,4 bits of chicken,3 pork chops and potatoe salad that filled just one plate,because l couldn't get anymore food on the plate that had all that meat.l drank 4 effes and raki.
The next day,l had symtoms of this crippling disease,and l only have myself to blame.
So you do have a point.Eat in moderation and l will be able to feel great again
l am still interested in the vegetarian diet though

Firebrand

Vegetarian
I've been a vegetarian for about 30 years. Unfortunately it hasn't stopped me from being overweight! As we all know (and some of us - like me - chose to ignore) it is about eating a balanced diet, with lots of fresh fruit and veg, protein, and good carbs like wholewheat pasta.

A tastily prepared salad can be a good side at a bbq to go with a healthily cooked chicken for example?

I tend not to eat bread in the UK as I find that my body doesn't like it. Yet in Turkey I eat tons of the fresh stuff for breakfast every day with no ill effects. Says a lot about the difference in ingredients.

ukizook

Vegetarian
Bob, I wish I could be a veggie because I know the animals have to suffer for my meat. This is how evolution has made us though [omnivorous] and to get the best from our bodies a balanced diet that includes meat, veg, fruit and nuts is the way to go. I know there are very healthy and active veggies but the same can be said for meat eaters. Moderation is the key word in the food we eat.

I however have a medical condition that forces me to put on weight.

I have an "Overactive".....................................

.........................Knife and fork. ;)

Reactions: GnD

Martyn

Vegetarian
Like it Ukizook. I also like the powerful statement.....if it had a face I won't eat it.

Vegetarian
I,ve been a vegetarian for about 25-30 years.
In the early days, eating out in the UK used to be a problem as vegetarians weren,t really catered for. By the time I left the UK, 10 years ago, that had changed drastically so I can only imagine how easy it is to be a veggie there now.

I have loads of vegetarian recipes if anyone wants any.

Soo

nanamo

Vegetarian
I've been a veggie since I was 18. I hate the thought of eating an animal. It amazes me how someone can watch pretty spring lambs in fields and then go to a butchers to buy one for dinner. Battery chickens, force fed pigs and little Veal calves - it all makes me so sad. If all the land that was taken up with growing crops to feed the animals were used to grow food for humans instead there would be no need to eat animals. I'm healthy - a bit of a chubber and believe me you have to eat an awful lot of carrots to be this big but I'm happy with my choice, dont miss meat, dont preach to others and do all I can to help animals instead of eating them. Apart from the moral thing there is also the fact that most animals that are bred to be eaten are filled with all sorts of chemicals to make them 'taste' better. Molly

Last edited:

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Vegetarian
Vegetarian diets are becoming increasingly popular,because of the lesser risk of obesity related ailments and also the other saturated foods that can trigger a cancer growth from happening.
I have now been reading up on the veggie diet and it says how important it is to have a diet that has a intake of below 30 per cent of fat and less then 10 per cent of saturates of the total calories of that day.So,l suppose it is fine to have a BQ now and again but in moderation
Substituting foods that are low in fats is the way to go for a healthy way of living.Using vegetable oils and soft margarine instead of the animal fats for cooking would be just as good.
Avoid using palm oil and coconut oil,since these contain high levels of saturates.Doughnuts and cakes contain high levels of saturates and should be limited to a treat at least just once a week.
Did you know that according to what it says in the bible,before the great flood all humans were vegetarians.And after the floods receded,god said to the people you are allowed to eat the animals only for a short time,because the flood has destroyed all the foliage.Once the foliage has recovered from the flood then we could revert back to being vegetarian and leave the animals to graze naturally in the meadows.
But humans have become so fond of the many choices of meat and decided to make it their staple diet ever since.

ukizook

Vegetarian
Did you know that according to what it says in the bible,before the great flood all humans were vegetarians.And after the floods receded,god said to the people you are allowed to eat the animals only for a short time,because the flood has destroyed all the foliage.Once the foliage has recovered from the flood then we could revert back to being vegetarian and leave the animals to graze naturally in the meadows.
But humans have become so fond of the many choices of meat and decided to make it their staple diet ever since.

But our teeth have cannies and cave drawings which are older than these stories show man hunting animals to eat. Evolution and science has shown that Humans have ate meat from when they first appeared

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Vegetarian
But our teeth have cannies and cave drawings which are older than these stories show man hunting animals to eat. Evolution and science has shown that Humans have ate meat from when they first appeared
That's what l thought as well.l am only referring to what it has stated,but l am just as confused as you on this one.

Vegetarian
Weve been veggies for 30 years and yes at one time in the UK it was difficult to get anything other than vegatables and dried soya but now there are lots of alternatives and Quorn is a godsend. We have found it easy to eat in Turkey as vegetables are plentiful and wonderful and eating out is never a problem unlike the times we spent in France. I won't go in to the reasons why we choose not to eat meat and we never tut at people who do however you will never bee offered meat by us if you come for a meal. Once you give up eating meat the smell of it cooking won't bother you as time goes by, we find it a very offensive smell and I have never ate fish and find that smell really awful. There are many recipe books available in all countries and in all languages. We arte strict veggies and don't wear leather or have any thing with animal byproducts in. I suggest anyone who wants to actually give up meat, fish and chicken as opposed to cutting back should do it slowly and not suddenly stop unless medically advised to do so that way its not such a shock to the body and palette.One thing to be careful off though is eating too much cheese if you are prone to weight gain. We use a lot of recipes involving cheese but I have to be careful that I don't put on weight. In the uk we can use cottage cheese.
I am happy to send recipes to anyone if they so require.
We have a big problem with the small holding across the road from us as he butchers the sheep there sometimes and I can be found sitting in the house very upset until its all over and then I cannot take the rubbish to the bin until after the bin men have been for obvious reasons. Good luck to anyone cutting back or giving up meat for whatever reason and I have said we don't judge people who do eat it.

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Vegetarian
Thank you for that story Lesley.Stories like the one you have shared does make all the different in the way l feel about going vegetarian.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Vegetarian
Time flies by but casting my mind back, I stopped eating meat and poultry in about 1990. I do eat fish, free range eggs and also drink milk. So although I call myself a vegetarian, I suppose I'm not, in the strictest sense.

I don't miss eating steak, chicken or bacon at all. Just looking at a lump of flesh on a plate still turns my stomach.

My husband is a carnivore but that is his choice.

I just wish they did quorn over here - don't buy the soya pieces or soya mince - it's like eating cardboard!!!

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
Vegetarian
I've been a veggie for nigh on 30 years, I do eat cheese and a will have milk on my cornflakes but thats about it, living here is a bit difficult as getting veggie cheese is impossible (theres another thread about that) I tend to survive on fresh veg, pasta and rice and get my protein from pulses, however that can have its drawbacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian
We only eat veggie cheese (a lot of cheeses are made with animal rennet) and I tend to take my own over to Turkey. When we run out we just have to eat what we can and we always have free range eggs both in the uk and Turkey. We do drink milk as our opinion is that once a cow has produced milk it would be painfull for them not to be milked and the cow doesn't have to die for the milk. Don't mention calves as that's another matter. InChina they eat dogs which most people would think cruel but what's the difference between dogs and sheep, cows etc. I don't want to get into a debate on this as everyone has a choice. Yes wish you could get quorn in Turkey, and the veggies sausages etc. Asda do a new dried packet of sausage, burger and chicken style mix which are very tasty as are the dried spaghetti bol and the mince for cottage pie etc.We do bring these out to Turkey but try to make nice tasty vegetable dishes and different types of salads instead. We always entertain our Turkish best friend when over and I always make him something different, only had one disaster when making a chinese soup which is contantly being talked about.
You can get certain chinese foods from Metro and Kipper do fresh bean sprouts sometimes so why not start with a vegetable chinese meal (stir fry).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom