Vegetable Recipes
I have never been a great lover of vegatables, except for peas and carrots but since living in Turkey I have been trying more different kinds but still not enamoured with them.

Now that meat has become so expensive It would be good to make the most of the fresh veg and salads on offer and I would like some recipe suggestions that I could try, especally ones that disguise the taste like currys, soups and stews. Also recipes for the dozens of beans and pulses that are available.

Also is garam masala available over here and if so, whats the Turkish name for it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

newhorizon

"Light Years Away"
Vegetable Recipes
Re: Vegatable Recipes

I'm not sure what name garam masala is sold in Turkey, but you can make your own as I'm sure all the raw ingredients are available in Turkey.

This is an easy to follow recipe and demo. to make Garam Masala:-
BBC - Food - Get Cooking - Garam masala

Another thing you could try if you don't like vegetables are lentils. There are plenty of those in Turkey, very filling and appetizing too.

A few turkish names of spices that I do know are:-
coriander is 'kişniş
fresh garlic is taze sarımsak
fresh ginger is taze zencefil
mustard seeds is hardal tohumu

Vegetable Recipes

Hi Sharon and Eric
Here is a recipe for Red Lentil Soup (Ezo Gelin), it is soooooo easy. Make up a big batch of it and freeze in portions. Afiyet olsun!

EZO GELİN ÇORBASI

RED LENTIL SOUP

300g red lentils, rinsed and drained
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons bulgur wheat, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons butter
2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 1 litre water
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 teaspoon paprika flakes

Put the lentils, bulgur wheat, onions, stock, tomato paste and butter together in a large pan.
Bring to the boil and then on a low heat simmer, stirring occasionally until the lentils are tender, adding more water until you get the consistency you prefer (I like mine quite thick but the Turks have theirs quite thin) Takes about ¾ - 1 hour.
Add the paprika and mint and simmer for a further five minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.

Soo x

Vegetable Recipes

Make soup from veggies -

Garbage soup - cut up whatever veg you have, stick it it a pan with water and a chicken or vegetable stock cube, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until done. I then put it in a food processor.

Leek and Potato soup - chop leeks and potatoes, put in pan with a chicken or veggie stock cube and do as above.

Tomato Soup - peel tomatoes, de seed if you want, chop an onion, chop a red pepper, soften the onion in butter, add tomatoes, garlic, 1 teaspoon sugar, tomato puree (optional), stock cube, water, basil (optional). Do as garbage soup.

I never weigh anything for soup - just chuck it in a pan.

Sue

Vegetable Recipes

Delia Smith has a wonderful vegetarian cookbook with lots of superb recipes in it. I would definitely recommend it.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
Vegetable Recipes

sorry duplicated earlier post so removed

Last edited:

ZiaCa'

Vegetable Recipes

The 'www.chefinyou.com' has some fab vegan and vegetarian recipes. I tried the beetroot humous and think it's really yummy, nutritious, quick and easy!

parrot

Vegetable Recipes

Make soup from veggies -

Garbage soup - cut up whatever veg you have, stick it it a pan with water and a chicken or vegetable stock cube, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until done. I then put it in a food processor.

Leek and Potato soup - chop leeks and potatoes, put in pan with a chicken or veggie stock cube and do as above.

Tomato Soup - peel tomatoes, de seed if you want, chop an onion, chop a red pepper, soften the onion in butter, add tomatoes, garlic, 1 teaspoon sugar, tomato puree (optional), stock cube, water, basil (optional). Do as garbage soup.

I never weigh anything for soup - just chuck it in a pan.

Sue
totally agree cooking is about self expression I could never understand the recipe culture.I laugh at some of the so called Celeb cooks who when tasting one of their creations go into raptures about how good it is as if they are going to say it's crap.

Els

Vegetable Recipes
Re: its great

Here is a lovely vegetable curry. You can substitute the carrots and parsnips with all sorts of other vegetables, like aubergines, courgettes etc. One of our favourites.
Spicy root & lentil casserole. It serves 4 and comes from BBC Good Food.
Ingredients
· 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
· 1 onion , chopped
· 2 garlic cloves , crushed
· 700g potatoes , peeled and cut into chunks
· 4 carrots , thickly sliced
· 2 parsnips , thickly sliced
· 2 tbsp curry paste or powder
· 1 litre/1¾ pints vegetable stock
· 100g red lentils
· a small bunch of fresh coriander , roughly chopped
· low-fat yogurt and naan bread, to serve

1. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally. Tip in the potatoes, carrots and parsnips, turn up the heat and cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are golden.
2. Stir in the curry paste or powder, pour in the stock and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
3. Stir in most of the coriander, season and heat for a minute or so.Top with yogurt and the rest of the coriander. Serve with naan bread.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom