Andy

Vegetable Gardening
What veg do you grow in Turkey and the UK and what do you find the easiest & most prolific to grow.

What do you find are the most difficult to grow in Turkey ?

altinkum kev

Non Active Member
Vegetable Gardening
Here in Altinkum ive been growing Marrow, runner beans, onions garlic, herbs, golden sunrise tomatoes,kale,spring greens,cucumbers,chillies peppers,strawberries,rhubarb,and swedes. last season i did suffer with some form off white fly which seemed to strip the leaves from the swedes causing them to die off, and my garden is constantly over run with snails thousands of them.

pldouglas

Vegetable Gardening
last year in UK; courgettes, tomatoes, cucumber, butternut squash, asparagus, runner beans, broad beans, potatoes, brocolli, cauli, leeks, swede, salad leaves and carrots.
This year will be much the same but with more butternut squash and less brocolli.
Once you have really good soil conditions its really easy and not too much work - the worst bit is the endless watering.

Vegetable Gardening
A couple of years ago when I had my restaurant I grew tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, onions, lettuce, peppers and lots of herbs.
However when my water bill came in it was HUGE, so I decided it was cheaper to buy my veggies from the Friday market!

I still grow my herbs though as some of them you can,t buy here.

Soo x

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Vegetable Gardening
potatoes, cauli, cabbage, courgettes, cucumber,raddish, beetroot, spring onions, tomatoes, aubergine,lettuce
strawberries, red currants, blackcurrants, blue berries

here in the high peak, just waiting for the ground to defrost to start preparing the soil

martin

SAMIMI

Vegetable Gardening
I grew tomatoes here in Turkey last summer and they were huge, I did not feed them, just used compost in the soil before planting them. Andy, should I plant them in a different part of the garden this year?

I agree with Soo about the watering, what I do is, I bottle the water that comes from the tap while I'm waiting for it to get hot. You would be surprised at how many litres you can let go down the drain.

There is plenty of water about here at the moment, it is running down from the hills after all the recent rain. If only I had an acre and a few barrels!

Andy

Vegetable Gardening
I prepare the soil with good rotten manure and sprinkle with blood fish & bone powder 2 months before planting in the same place every year.

I never feed Toms but spray the leaves with Phostrogen every 2 or 3 weeks.

Andy

Vegetable Gardening
Now is the time to plant your flower and veg seeds.
Once done those that need 16-18c keep indoors on a sunny window sill others can be put in a cold greenhouse if you have one, i dont.

I planted my Toms this week and they will take 9 or 10 days to come thro.

Time as well to prepare your soil. Dig over and sprinkle blood, fish & bone powder onto the soil and again dig in. Horse manure can be left on the surface or dug in.

The Blood Fish & Bone will put goodness into the soil and should last 3 or 4 months.
Phosphogen and any other type of feed can be used there-after.

Happy Gardening

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Vegetable Gardening
just preparing our veg beds this morning, a bit to much chance of a frost down here just yet, (was - 8 c this morning) for the potatoes so will plant them when i get back from yalikavak in april. will be putting some onion bulbs in though, but will cover with bubble wrap for a couple of weeks.

also checking out what else we can get started, hate gardening so should be fun

martin

Andy

Vegetable Gardening
UPDATE.

I have 10 very healthy Tomato plants 3 & 4ft high, most with fruit the size of a golf balls and dark green.

Also the runner beans are shooting away and 3 potato plants are that were only planted early this month are growing well. Both a first for me.

So my question is, "when you have a glut of Toms as i will do this year how would be the best way to store them" ?

How do you keep your fruit & veg

Last edited:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Vegetable Gardening
we made a very thick tomato sauce with ours we had about 2 bucket loads bof mixed tomatoes, we bagged them in ziplocs and froze them, they are great for pasta dishes on pizza bases and as bases for other sauces

it looks like we will have the same problem this year

martin

ZiaCa'

Vegetable Gardening
I jar toms ready for sauces in the winter. I use one of these gadgets (not seen one here in Turkey though..)

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

.....to separate seeds and skin, then place in jar (with a basil leaf), and boil jars to make them airtight.

Just picked my first lot of courgettes yesterday and a few toms that should be ripe in a couple of days. My aubergine plants don't seem to have grown at all! Borlotti beans, corn and herbs all doing well! I might try drying some beans this year.

Last edited:

rosewall1

ex Bond Girl
Vegetable Gardening
I have just started to get into veg growing this year. Today we tried one of my spring onions, what a difference to bought ones. Everything has to be grown in pots as our dogs dig everything up. I have potatoes, runner beans and broad beans, a herb garden (no tarragon) and I am trying swedes and parsnips. Tomatoes I will buy plants in.
It's all good fun and great to experiment with what will grow in turkey

dlturk7

Vegetable Gardening
I'm thinking of have a garden with fruit trees. Does anyone know if bananas and mangoes can be cultivated in Bodrum?

Andy

Vegetable Gardening
Update

If you planted Tomato seeds in March as i did and looked after them thro the hot weather we've had this last week or 2 you should have at least 4 trusses of toms & flowers that will turn into toms.
I now have Red Toms in pots ready to be picked which is very early for the UK outdoors, the ones in the garden will ripen a month later.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Vegetable Gardening
our tomatoes are doing ok but not reddening yet, the cucumber is shooting up the courgettes are flowering well, the aubergines are coming on slowly, but still coming on, the first rocket was tasty, as was the lettuce, onions and beets also doing well as is the stick cabbage, broccolli and swedes.

got to pick the red currants blackcurrants and blueberries if the blackbirds dont eat them first

martin

Latest Posts

Top Bottom