Sue Sue

Sue Sue
van rental
Hi We are hoping to move back to the UK and want to rent a van and drive over to take our furniture back, but we are having trouble getting a rental company that allows us to drive into Turkey, a friend of mine rented one from Sixt a couple of years ago have contacted them but they no longer allow their vehicles into Turkey, or is anyone driving over with a full load and we could then drive it back with our furniture?

Many thanks

Sue Sue

Sue Sue
van rental
Was more wondering if anyone knows of any UK Rental firms that allow their hire vehicles to be driven into Turkey Thanks

Sara-666

van rental
I've been looking too, can't find any, we need one for next year so not so much of a rush, I'm now looking for man and van, found a couple that do European but so far nobody wants to come to Turkey!! Will let you know if I find any :)

Sue Sue

Sue Sue
van rental
Sara,think we shd set up a man and a van to Turkey, hv emailed quite a few companies but they hv yet to return my emails will let you know too if anyone comes back to me Thanks

van rental
Have you tried National?

It has a page about driving abroad so maybe they would allow Turkey.
"Please note: If you would like to take Vans overseas, call our Call Centre on 0871 384 1007 to make your booking as there may be additional actions required before pick-up. Please allow at least 3 days before pick-up so we can ensure your vehicle is equipped for overseas driving."

Car Hire UK | Car Rental | Van Hire & Rental UK - National Car

Ceni

Ceni
van rental
Would not the "Man with the Van" need to have an RP otherwise he would not be able to get your furniture into Turkey for you, who and how would the tax be paid?

We started making enquiries about this in 2003, not 1 company in the UK would allow their hire vans to go into Turkey. If I remember correctly the vehicle the goods are in has to have the drivers name on the V5 also.

We have tried again not so long ago to see if anything had improved, the simple answer is NO not really, we still can't find anyone who will allow their rental vans to go to Turkey, you can go through pure bandit country (experience) of Serbia etc where theres a worry of leaving you truck long enough to go for a wee if its out of sight, but Turkey is a NO NO.

Last edited:

Sue Sue

Sue Sue
van rental
Hi Ceni Its to take our things back to the UK not in and its really not a lot of stuff just personal possesions and a corner unit and the removal companies are quoting a fortune,thanks anyway will carry on trying lol will let u all know

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
van rental
Sue sue, have you calculated the cost of van hire, fuel accommodation etc to remove your belongings ? As opposed to paying a removal firm, just a thought

Martin

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
van rental
or buy a cheap van in the UK and drive it to Turkey, pick up your stuff and drive back, then sell the van, that's what we did

Ceni

Ceni
van rental
Babsgood, hope you don't mind me asking but can I ask what kind of items you returned with and did you have to pay anything at the border in way of "Taxes" on the way out?

We are in the process of buying a 4x4 and box trailer to do the same thing, we will sell the big stuff in the house (hopefully) collect and stuff the 4x4 and trailer and then give the rest as donations or gifts to friends.

Ceni

Ceni
van rental
Sue, have you tried Turkish airlines Air Cargo, Aras Cagro, Yurtisi Cargo and even the PTT they all do cargo?

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
van rental
Ceni, we took back clothes but also a TV, laptop, pictures, ornaments, bedding towels etc and didn't have to pay anything at any border controls we had a bit of a problem leaving Turkey as we left via a different route and the border control told us we had leave at the same place we came in, as we came in up near Cannakale and were booked onto ferries from Bodrum that would have been a tad difficult to say the least, but after they phoned customs at our point of entry and were told that the vehicle did indeed enter turkey 3 months prior, they let us out!!!

we did the same as you re big stuff we just bought home personal items and clothes

Latest Posts

Top Bottom