Lindacm

Van Hotel
Has anyone been to Van and can suggest a good hotel? If so, how many days would you suggest we need to stay to see any interesting sights?

Thanks,

Linda

Guz1

Van Hotel
Linda,

Can't recommend any hotels and don't remember a whole lot about the area except that like most of Turkey it was beautiful. Lake Van itself is lovely and I remember taking a boat trip to a tiny Island to see the ruin of an ancient church. We were told that until relatively recently times there were people living there who spoke the same Language as Jesus Christ (Aramaic?).

Although I can't be certain, I don't think it is all that far from Sanliurfa which is definitely worth a visit.

You won't be sorry if you do manage to visit the area and I hope you'll post some photos on your return to refresh my memory.

Just had a look at the list of areas that are closed to visitors. What a pity because the mountain scenery in Eastern Turkey is truly spectacular.

Last edited:

Lindacm

Van Hotel
Linda,

Can't recommend any hotels and don't remember a whole lot about the area except that like most of Turkey it was beautiful. Lake Van itself is lovely and I remember taking a boat trip to a tiny Island to see the ruin of an ancient church. We were told that until relatively recently times there were people living there who spoke the same Language as Jesus Christ (Aramaic?).

Although I can't be certain, I don't think it is all that far from Sanliurfa which is definitely worth a visit.

You won't be sorry if you do manage to visit the area and I hope you'll post some photos on your return to refresh my memory.

Just had a look at the list of areas that are closed to visitors. What a pity because the mountain scenery in Eastern Turkey is truly spectacular.

Hi Maria,

Our flights are booked for 17th May. We are travelling with our Turkish friend & his German family. I will speak to him tomorrow regarding the areas that are closed off, as I'm sure he doesn't know this.

We have still to find a hotel, must admit we thought them rather expensive!

We are planning on spending 2-4 days in Van & then travelling from there. We have hired a 7-seater for the 13 day trip..which was not cheap either. Will take some photos, but will need I guess to put them on...one thing at a time!

Linda

Guz1

Van Hotel
It must be 25 years since I visited that area but even then there was a heavy security presence. We travelled by public transport and the buses were stopped regularly by the military with everyone having to produce id papers. Anyone who didn't have id was taken off the bus and left behind. I can't remember whether we actually stay in Van but I do remember staying in Sanliurfa. The hotel there was very modern - a world of difference between that and the hotels in places like Diyarbakir and Erzurum. I vaguely remember a lot of Americans in the tourist spots so maybe that accounts for the high prices. (Think there a US/NATO base at Incirlik and the soldiers might spend their time off sightseeing).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom