Uzumlu & Incirkoy
Hi
We visted our friends in June who have just moved to Fethiye. While we where there we became very interested in the whole lifestyle, when we got home we have decided to look very seriously into moving there. Although I liked Fethiye its not a place I would live. We are coming back in October to look round Uzumlu. If anyone lives there could they give me some info about the place.
Any help would much be appreciated.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Uzumlu & Incirkoy
The builders and developers have been pushing Uzumlu for the last couple of years. If you want to live in the hills with the ex-pats it's a good place to start looking. Use this forum and the other ones that cover the Aegean and Med areas to get a feel for the the lifestyle that's available.

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
There are some lovely places around Uzumlu and Incirkoy, and it certainly hasn't been overtaken by ex-pats as KKOB is suggesting. You are talking about a very rural area that has some modern sites but also is "old Turkey" at it's best. I know someone who has contacts there, so get in touch if you would like some more information.

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
What we are looking for is a quite location with bus srevices into a large town. We want brits around us so we do not feel isolated and to make friends but not an expat community. As we have only been to Turkey once any suggestions would be of help.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Uzumlu & Incirkoy
Üzümlü is very expensive and I think KKOB's view is correct. People who have lived there for 10 years or more (ex-pats) despair at the developments. New housing sprawls over the valley floor and up the sides of mountains and because of the topography, all is visible.
The valley on the east (towards Ören) is having some hideous developments plonked in the middle of very nice scenery.
Incirkoy being joined to the rest of the development is only a matter of time as the valley floor is filled.
It used to be exclusive and remote from the tourist/ex-pat area, but no more. It has land prices that are some of the highest in the area and locals are scrambling to sell off bits of land for development - no different from anywhere else, I guess.
It is cold in winter.
There are some nice houses up there, but pick carefully - watch out for future development, build quality (not just exterior looks) and location in relation to the sun as some on the south slopes get no sun after mid-day in winter.
Have a look at Kemer, 15 miles south of Fethiye.
Ian

Last edited:
Uzumlu & Incirkoy
immac said:
Üzümlü is very expensive and I think KKOB's view is correct. People who have lived there for 10 years or more (ex-pats) despair at the developments. New housing sprawls over the valley floor and up the sides of mountains and because of the topography, all is visible.
The valley on the east (towards Ören) is having some hideous developments plonked in the middle of very nice scenery.
Incirkoy being joined to the rest of the development is only a matter of time as the valley floor is filled.
It used to be exclusive and remote from the tourist/ex-pat area, but no more. It has land prices that are some of the highest in the area and locals are scrambling to sell off bits of land for development - no different from anywhere else, I guess.
It is cold in winter.
There are some nice houses up there, but pick carefully - watch out for future development, build quality (not just exterior looks) and location in relation to the sun as some on the south slopes get no sun after mid-day in winter.
Have a look at Kemer, 15 miles south of Fethiye.
Ian
I agree with The Foxes Glove, immac and KKOB have got it all wrong how often do they visit Uzumlu I know you are going to say quite often or I was there last week, if you were there last week then what is the attraction if it is such an urban sprawl then why visit, oh you have friends there why did they choose Uzumlu ?

Uzumlu is beautiful it is NOT an urban sprawl at all. The local council have now stopped any further development in the valley and if you own land there and have no planning permission you are unlikely to get it. There are still lots of open space around the village.
There is a small ex pat community which fits in well with the local community which totals only 1700. Only problem I find is the Dolmus service of a night is really none existant.
I have thought about moving to Fethiye but that is all it is a thought Uzumlu is so peaceful the mountain air is a lot fresher than in Fethiye or Calis but yes it does get cold on winter nights but again you can have beautiful sunny winter days. I would say yes go for it.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Uzumlu & Incirkoy
It doesn't matter how often I've visited Uzumlu, when, or what for, an opinion was asked for and I gave mine.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Uzumlu & Incirkoy
Beauty is in the eye ..etc. I would not describe it as such, but that does not matter. I have no vested interest in talking it up or down.

It is common on forums for people who own property and live in particular areas to jump all over anyone who says anything uncomplementary about 'their little piece of heaven'. I guess it is natural, but not very helpful.

Ian

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
immac said:
Beauty is in the eye ..etc. I would not describe it as such, but that does not matter. I have no vested interest in talking it up or down.

It is common on forums for people who own property and live in particular areas to jump all over anyone who says anything uncomplementary about 'their little piece of heaven'. I guess it is natural, but not very helpful.

Ian
Yes beauty is in the eye and I am not jumping all over you I am just giving an opinion also I am giving facts, of course it upsets me when people start to knock somewhere perhaps they have never lived, and form an opinion or from just passing through or from others who have lived there and did not like it. The local council in Uzumlu are well aware of the development in the Uzumlu area and have tight control over it. The way you described it Uzumlu is a bustling city with building going on everywhere, this is far from the truth, yes as I said there is development going on, but unlike in other parts of Turkiye it is being monitored and controlled for the good of the local enviroment.
Immac you say you were not shouting it up or down quote "Beauty is in the eye...etc I would not describe it as such" ?
Now that is not very helpful, and of course you both have an intimate knowledge of Uzumlu ?

Andywebb

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
incognito said:
Now Now Ladies!

What a**e of a comment is this??? If you do'nt have anything constructive to add to the debate why post such garbage. It would be better spent informing us who you are and why that name.

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
incognito said:
Now Now Ladies!

Yes getting too heated because it is a place I love but do not want to argue about so I will say with sincerity we can agree to disagree sorry folks.
:27:

Andywebb

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
I do not see what you have to be sorry about Friar tuck. It is when people come on and put these useless comments that then upset everybody. It looks as though it has been removed. The puropse of any forum is to get information and hear about the positive and negatives. We can all form our own opinion once we have heard both sides and visited the area to comment. It is no different than a recommendation on a restaurant, one will say the food is great the other it was bad, the only way you are going to find out is to visit the place first hand. It is for the reader of the post to decide what is right or wrong and they will visit the place or eat at a particular place.

But such comments from incognito serve no purpose, as do Time Share touts Lorraine

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
We have to totally agree with your comment re wise cracks in a serious informative debate!
We initially were guilty of that ourselves but appreciate now that the Cafe or other places on this forum are more appropriate for that approach.
Seroius debates should be kept as serious debates!
Quite right Andy

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
I didn`t mean to cause such a stir, but thanks for all your replys. Andywebbs right i will have to decide for myself.

Last edited:

lorraine

Non Active Member
Uzumlu & Incirkoy
I live between Fethiye and Calis, but I love Uzumlu. We had a look out that way approx 5yers ago when it was not really being built or pushed to foreigners, and it just blew me away, however, I had to be realistic. I am more of a home bird and not into bars and restaurants, Uzumlu would have suited me down to the ground, Gordon would not have survived, he is more gregarious (yes chalk & cheese) he needs a more of a social life, after spending a few days there in the winter the lack of public transport was going to be a problem, he would have need the car and I would not let him drink and drive, and there is no way I was driving him at all hours.
And yes I do go up to Uzumlu often, any chance I get!! I love walking around the small village, visiting the weave house, drinking coffee in the small lokanta opposite the mosque and chatting with the locals.
Uzumlu and Kayakoy are just 2 of my favourite places.

Views across Uzumlu.
3081767731060alb8ec.jpg

Kayakoy
2054752281060alb4kb.jpg

Kalkan Harbour
1303556591060alb9jv.jpg

Yaniklar
8170921971060alb0cu.jpg

Does it really matter who has the "best" area when this is just a pick of what is on our doorstep.

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
Got to agree with you 100% Lorraine. A problem you mention is public transport or lack of it only two Dolmus from Fethiye back to the village of a night 2030 and 0015 but what price beauty. I do enjoy a night out in Fethiye, Calis or Hisaronou and it is a bind when you have to clock watch, a solution I have found is staying at a friends hotel for the night that way I kill two birds with one stone visit my friends and have a great night out, and it does not cost that much, a tenner if they are not busy.

Andywebb

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
MANDY BERMINGHAM said:
I didn`t mean to cause such a stir, but thanks for all your replys. Andywebbs right i will have to decide for myself.

You did'nt cause a stir at all. Why do'nt you ask Friar Tuck if he does "Try before you buy" holidays at his place. It would help you decide by staying in the area.

Uzumlu & Incirkoy
Andywebb said:
You did'nt cause a stir at all. Why do'nt you ask Friar Tuck if he does "Try before you buy" holidays at his place. It would help you decide by staying in the area.
Well thought out Andy I have PM Mandy with a solution thanks.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom