tosher

UTube views of old town Side
On clips from UTube of Side old town, its a bit sad to see the town being demolished on behalf of business. The old town in the 1990's and in 2000+ was a mixture of old and new properties. Many of the older properties had an ambiance which was magical and very inviting to tourist which could mix and communicate freely.
I know that time moves on but the total destruction of the old town looks like it's old friendly ambiance will be lost to just making money from the new businesses. I hope that this is not the case.
Yes the Corona virus gave an opportunity to re-generate the old town without tourist but remember tourist come back time after time to refresh their experiences of Side old town but looking at the clips from UTube it appears the town is just to make money from tourist and not to give an experience of intermixing with the local people.
When you finally finish re-generating the old place try and keep the old ambiance as it the reason why both my wife and I returned nearly every year since 1996.
Side to us is a magical and safe town and had (and hope it continues) a very welcoming nature from residents and local businesses.

We haven't been back to Side because of the covid restrictions in 2 years but both of us are hoping 2022 will bring tourists back to this lovely place.
I hope the Delphin hotel is still going as the owners are really hospitable hosts and their family are ok.

Well I moaned a bit about the re-development but time waits for no man and I hope and pray Side old town will regain it's magic to all tourists. Money is not everything but people are.

I now quite like the changes they have made to Side old town. They have uncovered & are still uncovering lots mosaics etc & the new buildings are built to look like some of the original old buildings.

Some of my photos from when I was there last month.

I just miss the beach sellers who used to walk around selling fresh kebabs & doughnuts from a tray balanced on their heads & the Shanty Beach bar/restaurant, but those disappeared years ago

20211209_202623.jpg

20211209_202810.jpg

429nufc

We went about 3 years ago after an absence of more than 10 years. We were horrified at what had been done to the town There was no soul left, it could have been a shopping mall anywhere

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
My memories of my one and only visit back in the mid 1990s was shock, it was the first time I had seen hotels on such a gigantic scale, Bodrum then was pensions and small hotels so didn't expect it, I recall shop signs written in mainly German and prices displayed in DM. Nothing stays the same.

429nufc

One of the photos is of a restaurant we used to use which had a tree growing through the roof
Many of the villagers parents had been turfed out of Crete at the partition and pointed to their blue eyes as proof

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
I think all this coast has lost is appeal its all market's and restaurant's and hotels. As the locals say all the grass has gone for concrete.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom