Jaycey

African Refugee
Using solar heating
We’ve just moved into an apartment with solar heating and are wondering about the most efficient way of using it. Last month we had the immersion heater on continuously and used the aircon heating frequently but still think our electricity bill rather high at 280 TL.

Is it better:

1. to leave the imersion heater on all the time trusting in good insulation of the hot water tank
2. or to switch the heater off during the day and on again at night
3. Or, when the weather is good, to leave the heater off altogether?

Obviously this depends on the season and on individual water consumption habits. And it’s probably a good idea to have a timer switch on the water heater – I always forget to switch b*** things on and off!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Using solar heating
where is your immersion heater, is it in the tank on the roof ?

Martin

kemerkid

________
Using solar heating
Jaycey it's a little misleading to title this forum solar heating and then talk about electric water heating. Your electric bill is far too high if this is a monthly bill. My water comes from a borehole in the garden via an electric pump and fills a 3 ton depo in the garage. There is then another pump which feeds the house. Fridge freezer, dishwasher, washing machine. kettle, various choppers blenders mixers, hair driers and curlers. Additional to this there is then an additional pump to water the garden and airconditioning in the summer. My biggest bill in over five years has been 160TL. I think you need to review your electric consumption.

Carolyn

Using solar heating
I have lost count of the times one of us (usually me) has forgotten to turn off the immersion heater and have been faced with water pouring off the roof because the ballcock has melted!

Even setting a timer as a reminder doesn't always work as I usually think I'll do something in a minute only to forget all about it!

kemerkid

________
Using solar heating
It sounds to me that you need to ask the people on the othere four floors not to use your hot water. Going back to my previous post, even if this a two monthly bill it is way too high.

Akbuk Rob

Using solar heating
The element heater which is fitted into the tank on the roof has a thermostat on it. You may well find the thermostat is set at maximum, In my experience this is common place when they fit them because the fitter doesn't give a monkeys about your bill. the setting goes up to about 70C which would probably not only melt the ballcock as Carolyn has experienced but will also burn out the element quicker. Setting them at 30C is usually high enough.

I certainly wouldn't leave it on 24/7, in fact I always turn ours off before getting in the shower, Turkish electricians!!! I have had 2 fitted myself and organised a couple more for neighbours. On each occasion I have had to connect the earth and make the electrical connection waterproof.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Using solar heating
Thanks for all the useful info folks.

We’ve adjusted the thermostat and put in a timer switch – let’s see what our next bill looks like.

It’s just a pity we couldn’t find a timer switch with a battery back up – I’ll have to remember to reset the clock every time we have a power cut.

the bueman

Using solar heating
Hi Jaycey

Might be worth investing in one of these devices to check on your power consumption.

I fitted one to my apartment in Tuzla to keep an eye on our use and compare it to the bill from our management company.

It is wire free and sends signal to the monitor in real time, so switching on and off devices you can see what consumes the most power and when. The clamp loops around the incoming power cable to your fuse box, tuck the mouse or sender inside fuse box and of you go. Great for keeping an eye on your property if you think someone is using your apartment in your absence. You can place the monitor out of sight.....on to of a cupboard or unit, just as long as it gets a signal. batteries last 1 year before changing.

Here is the device and link...Efergy Elite Wireless Energy-Saving Meter : Power and Energy Monitors : Maplin Electronics

Jaycey

African Refugee
Using solar heating
Might be worth investing in one of these devices to check on your power consumption

Wow, looks like a handy gadget. We live here permanently so we're not worried about unauthorised useage but I'm sure other TLFers will find it very interesting.

Many thanks

Jaycey :blowkiss:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Using solar heating
our electric bıll ıs always over 200 lira ın the wınter ...i cant stand being cold .

No, I don't do cold either :flame: but I meet many people here who claim never more than 100TL a month - let's see how the new timer switch works out. Total installed cost 150TL so (hopefully) will pay for itself in no time.

Watch this space ...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom