gam101

UPS courier delivery
Ola again folks!

I didn't know where to file this under.

I am hoping to receive a UPS package from the U.S. and upon checking the online status I saw this;

"Importer Power of Attorney documentation is required for clearance. We're working to obtain this information. / We've contacted the receiver."

They really have not contacted me at all & I would not have known about this if I had not signed up for their online update service. :attention

Can anyone guide me on what I should do? Can I just type up a "Power of attorney" generic letter myself & drive to a UPS location for hand-delivery?

I've already called their customer service & option "8" is not in English if though they claim it is. :blink:

Thank you.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
UPS courier delivery
Always the same with UPS, I am afraid. I have this "problem" every time a shipper uses them - I would never use them by choice for imports; DHL are the same.

Instead of contacting local UPS, write to their main site in USA. They will contact local UPS for you and you will get an English speaker contact, in Turkey, contacting you for paperwork.

Depending what the item is, you will have to provide different levels of paperwork. If there is duty/tax to pay, you make the payment by bank transfer using UPS code/item number and send proof to local UPS and they will complete the delivery. If they don't have a local office to you, they will give it to one of the other cargo companies (usually Yurtici, in my experience) in which case you should ask for the new company reference number.

Use the UPS shipping number as a heading in any emails to UPS.

Ian

Last edited:

gam101

UPS courier delivery
Always the same with UPS, I am afraid. I have this "problem" every time a shipper uses them - I would never use them by choice for imports; DHL are the same.

Instead of contacting local UPS, write to their main site in USA. They will contact local UPS for you and you will get an English speaker contact, in Turkey, contacting you for paperwork.

Depending what the item is, you will have to provide different levels of paperwork. If there is duty/tax to pay, you make the payment by bank transfer using UPS code/item number and send proof to local UPS and they will complete the delivery. If they don't have a local office to you, they will give it to one of the other cargo companies (usually Yurtici, in my experience) in which case you should ask for the new company reference number.

Use the UPS shipping number as a heading in any emails to UPS.

Ian

Well, I contacted UPS-US and after the 3rd department phone transfer, the international department (1800-782-7892) gave me a number to call here in Turkey (+902124132222). That number turned out to be invalid.

I did explain to them that no one from UPS-Turkey has contacted me & I'm just trying to get my package.

I was going to call UPS-US-International Dept. again, but the shipper is now attempting to help me & see if there is way out of this mess. :blink: :wacko:

I have never had such complications with courier companies. They ship packages for a living, surely they should have their act together! :crazy:

Appreciate the help.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
UPS courier delivery
Why didn't you follow my instructions? You are making it hard, then complaining that it is hard.

Email (write) UPS America (as I suggested) and they will do this for you.

My advice was based on numerous dealings with UPS. If you are not going to follow advice, why ask for it?

Ian

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
UPS courier delivery
How are you getting on Gam101?
I hope that today was more positive. I found UPS useless even for a parcel sent in Turkey. All the local companies call me and tell me it is there to be collected. Nothing from UPS at all.

gam101

UPS courier delivery
Why didn't you follow my instructions? You are making it hard, then complaining that it is hard.

Email (write) UPS America (as I suggested) and they will do this for you.

My advice was based on numerous dealings with UPS. If you are not going to follow advice, why ask for it?

Ian

I did follow your advice, however, instead of an email (which is almost always slower in my opinion), I contacted by them calling them instead.

If it was not for your advice, I would have never thought of contacting UPS-USA. So, I still appreciate your help, but don't appreciate your terse follow-up.

Or are you telling me that you tried calling UPS-USA too, and that was a wasted effort, compared to email?

gam101

UPS courier delivery
How are you getting on Gam101?
I hope that today was more positive. I found UPS useless even for a parcel sent in Turkey. All the local companies call me and tell me it is there to be collected. Nothing from UPS at all.

Hey there IbrahimAbi! Thank you for checking back with me. :)

Lesson learned here.....that I should avoid UPS in the future. My shipper had 2 options, UPS or FedEx. And because of a business relationship, they prefer UPS. So I had little choice in the matter. However, in the shippers defense, they had no idea that UPS is complicated in Turkey. Neither did I. :)

I've used UPS in US, Malaysia, Bahrain, Qatar....never had issues. The packages would always arrive at home. Or at most, I would receive a text message asking to pick up the package at the local UPS office and present any ID.

Turkey is throwing some curve balls ...... :) :wacko:

The shipper, for now, has suggested I allow them to handle the matter. So I think I will do that. And share anything that I learn here for the benefit of others.

Take care.

Last edited:

gam101

UPS courier delivery
Update :director::

The shipper was able to sort out the "power of attorney" requirement by contacting UPS-USA support & providing a UPS "power of attorney" document.

So, shippers too can assist the delivery if they provide said document beforehand when shipping to Turkey via UPS.

I am attaching the document here so that it may benefit others.

Let me know if anyone has any questions, please.

Attachments

• UPS.jpg
    UPS.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 47

Latest Posts

Top Bottom