mollag

Kipper restorer
United Ireland ?
It is becoming more and more obvious that Brexit wont mesh with the situation in Ireland, for all the bluster and pretense it has long been the Elephant in the room.
The invisible border down the Irish sea is shown to be a nonsense, the land border idea wont fit with the Good Friday pact, so that seems to leave but a United Ireland within the EU.
I suspect now, that this has been the hidden agenda of Brexit Boris all along but he needed NI votes so he couldn't overtly be seen to "Abandon" all those Loyalists, so, say nowt and blame the EU and Biden for the breakup of the UK.

So a United Ireland may come about via a dis-united EU, Just my thoughts of course. :unsure:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
United Ireland ?
It is becoming more and more obvious that Brexit wont mesh with the situation in Ireland, for all the bluster and pretense it has long been the Elephant in the room.
The invisible border down the Irish sea is shown to be a nonsense, the land border idea wont fit with the Good Friday pact, so that seems to leave but a United Ireland within the EU.
I suspect now, that this has been the hidden agenda of Brexit Boris all along but he needed NI votes so he couldn't overtly be seen to "Abandon" all those Loyalists, so, say nowt and blame the EU and Biden for the breakup of the UK.

So a United Ireland may come about via a dis-united EU, Just my thoughts of course. :unsure:
I totally agree, that is the only logical solution to many people.

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
United Ireland ?
No great expertise in the matter, but my understanding is that at the time of Partition in 1922, it was always accepted (on both sides) that this was a transition arrangement to a united Ireland at some point in the future. Sooner the better if that is what people want.

Ian

Saoirse

United Ireland ?
I love you all

I almost regret taking the piss out of the England team.....almost!

Tiofaidh Ar La!

mollag

Kipper restorer
United Ireland ?
I have friends in the Coleraine region, a staunchly Loyalist area, they seem to see the inevitability of a union with the "Free State" and are comfortable with the idea, there will be many who wont see it that way though.
It seems a shame to go at it in such a round the houses manner,. :(

Saoirse

United Ireland ?
It will definitely come about

The crucial crucial key is timing

There needs to be an extensive period of exploration investigation and explanation

Though I am an Irish Republican I would not wish to hoodwink cajole or trick anyone into unity

Imho a serious debate needs to be held over the next 5 years or more to gain confidence all round

The double irony in all this is Northern Unionists will find they are most probably in regular coalition government ahead of Northern Nationalists- as both main Dublin parties are conservative in outlook and would eagerly join the Unionists in government to exclude SF

As happens the world over both for parties and indeed party leaders quite often after your reason d' etre is achieved you are ditched- but thats politics and SF know it

mollag

Kipper restorer
United Ireland ?
Is the topic being eased into the conversation without the necessity to overtly state it ?
In the last week or so.--

Emmanuel Macron says Northern Ireland is not part of the UK
The British government has rebuked Ireland’s deputy prime minister, Leo Varadkar, for saying he believed there could be a united Ireland within his lifetime.

Watch this space to see if more little soundbites appear to be making the topic of reunification the norm. :unsure:

jearden

United Ireland ?
Is the topic being eased into the conversation without the necessity to overtly state it ?
In the last week or so.--

Emmanuel Macron says Northern Ireland is not part of the UK
The British government has rebuked Ireland’s deputy prime minister, Leo Varadkar, for saying he believed there could be a united Ireland within his lifetime.

Watch this space to see if more little soundbites appear to be making the topic of reunification the norm. :unsure:
Let's hope it becomes the norm. We might even see the Irish having talks about talks but I wont hold my breath.

mollag

Kipper restorer
United Ireland ?
Let's hope it becomes the norm. We might even see the Irish having talks about talks but I wont hold my breath.
It seems more each day to be the only solution to this awful dilemma, I wish North and South well for the future. [ I am pricing up houses in Ballymoney already (y) ]

Latest Posts

Top Bottom