dngood

UKTV Access
I've been using it a bit over the past few days; it looks very promising so far. Any problems I've had so far have been due to my line speed (standard TTNet 1Mbps) rather than the UKTV service.

hijo

in my own clique
UKTV Access
..i already have these programmes on my computer ..with ..www.filmon.co ..when it says register ..just click ...SKIP..and always click the one that says SPEED LO..and its free..:3:

UKTV Access
..i already have these programmes on my computer ..with ..www.filmon.co ..when it says register ..just click ...SKIP..and always click the one that says SPEED LO..and its free..:3:

I had a look at Filmon, my interest being that I am the owner of the banner on the left DavetheBus asked about.

The site gets a red 'reputation warning' from the Firefox WOT (Web of Trust) plug in, but, despite that, I felt obliged to check further. The download was virus free and installed OK.

The service is free (for some channels) and does work. The one limitation is that you can only watch streaming TV, i.e. you are tied to schedules. That means you don't get access to iplayer or ITV web site and all their archived programmes, which is what Internet TV on demand should be about.

Low speed is definitely not Hi Definition, and about the same quality you could expect from YouTube. On regular speed the picture is better but even with the fastest TTNet account it freezes sometimes.

However, for a free service, who can complain.

My only concern is in the Terms and Conditions, where Filmon say:

We do pass on your personal data to third parties and by accepting these terms and conditions you are providing your consent to such transfer.

Basically, your email address can be sold on, so assume it will be used. I'd recommend using a disposable email address to register if you don't want to be receiving spam.

Cheers

Neil

Helenm150

UKTV Access
Have just today subscribed to UK TV Access - easily downloaded - great support from Neil in helping me with username reset. I ran out of time playing around with BBCi in time for tonight's Strictly so watching intermitently (freezing) via HDi but looking forward to test driving UK TV Access properly tomorrow ......

hijo

in my own clique
UKTV Access
I had a look at Filmon, my interest being that I am the owner of the banner on the left DavetheBus asked about.

The site gets a red 'reputation warning' from the Firefox WOT (Web of Trust) plug in, but, despite that, I felt obliged to check further. The download was virus free and installed OK.

The service is free (for some channels) and does work. The one limitation is that you can only watch streaming TV, i.e. you are tied to schedules. That means you don't get access to iplayer or ITV web site and all their archived programmes, which is what Internet TV on demand should be about.

Low speed is definitely not Hi Definition, and about the same quality you could expect from YouTube. On regular speed the picture is better but even with the fastest TTNet account it freezes sometimes.

However, for a free service, who can complain.

My only concern is in the Terms and Conditions, where Filmon say:

We do pass on your personal data to third parties and by accepting these terms and conditions you are providing your consent to such transfer.

Basically, your email address can be sold on, so assume it will be used. I'd recommend using a disposable email address to register if you don't want to be receiving spam.

Cheers

Neil

..at the end of the day as far as i am aware Neil ..you cannot legally transmit ..bbc ..and itv channels .from turkey.i was with a company last year .uktelly i think it was called ..and it went bust..i was lucky enough to have paid in monthly installments ..so i never lost too much money..but a lot of people paid for a year up front and lost the lot ..so now i am a bit wary of paying for uk channels now .....so i think i made the right choice..if i lose the channels i lose them ..but at the end of the day they cost me nothing...with the exception of dreambox..which is also illegal

Last edited:

hijo

in my own clique
UKTV Access
hi Susan b ..it works through your computer and a normal size satelite dish..possibly an extra modem also..depends what one you have ..:roundgrin

UKTV Access
..at the end of the day as far as i am aware Neil ..you cannot legally transmit ..bbc ..and itv channels .from turkey.i was with a company last year .uktelly i think it was called ..and it went bust..i was lucky enough to have paid in monthly installments ..so i never lost too much money..but a lot of people paid for a year up front and lost the lot ..so now i am a bit wary of paying for uk channels now .....so i think i made the right choice..if i lose the channels i lose them ..but at the end of the day they cost me nothing...with the exception of dreambox..which is also illegal

Thanks Hijo

Just to clarify, no-one is 'transmitting' anything from Turkey. The only people transmitting anything are the BBC and ITV etc. their content is locked to IP addresses outside the UK, so a VPN service just allows people to dial in to a UK server and connect via a UK IP address to the Internet. The server is just an intermediary, a bit like having a UK PO Box. The banner to the left just describes one of the functions of a VPN - allowing access to iplayer, iplayer, ch 4 and ch 5.

VPN technology isn't illegal. It's the backbone of many international companies' communication networks, allowing workers to access common resources. One of these shared resources is Internet access. If anyone has any doubts about the legal aspect, a search for 'is it illegal to access iplayer using VPN' or 'BBC sues VPN provider' will come up with ... nothing.

It's unlikely the company mentioned actually went bust, unless they were so broke they sold their server. Sounds more like they just gave up. UKTVACCESS is backed by ELD Training - it's a training organistaion that works in developing countries with international NGOs such as Save the Children / UNICEF etc. We've been around 10 years, and only recently removed ourselves from the UK charities' register. We pay taxes, our Internet trading accounts are verified (PayPal, Google, 2Checkout) and all those merchants have strong buyer protection policies. Sorry to hear about your experience, it is a cowboy market, I agree, and it reflects badly on those who intend to guarantee the service provided rather than chasing a quick few quid.

It might seem strange that ELD is running UKTVACCESS. The logic for us is simple - we have a server, we are expatriate and we like to watch TV. Having gone to the trouble of configuring the server, we thought it sensible to offer this service to our clients. (Many international development workers appreciate their home comforts!)

We are promoting this service in Turkey cause I was a VPN user and it was wonderful, especially for my son who didn't speak Turkish and needed his Dr Who and Sarah Jane!

My earlier post wasn't critical of Filmon, I just noted that (1) you only get 'live' TV and not the ability to access iplayer andother UK TV channels' archived shows (just found that 4oD has all 3 series of 'The IT Crowd' - genius) and (2) that when you register they reserve the right to pass on your email address.

Anyway, a VPN isn't the only option for TV overseas, but for me as a regular Internet user it works. To paraphrase the Remington advert, "I liked it so much, I started my own company." As mentioned, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox"]Dreambox [/ame]technology is another approach, and I wrote a post earlier outlining some of the main, reliable methods. I've already tried enough unreliable ones to be happy with something that does what it says on the box which, for me, is VPN. If someone isn't happy, there's a refund within the first seven days anyway, so what's to worry about.

Cheers to all

Neil

Last edited:

plcross

UKTV Access
Just to let you all know that I had a connection problem with acces tv , but received great on line service from Neil & his team in Winsford.
Many thanks,
Phil.

Top Bottom