Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
Funny you should bring that up Bill - first I was accused of starting protests in Turkey and now this....

KyivPost / Independence. Community. Trust

Strange that the Ukrainians (of the west) want into the EU and the easterners and government want stronger ties with Russia whereas in UK there are protests against EU membership.

As always nothing is as simple as first appears. I can’t yet fathom whether it’s a straightforward EU issue or plain dissatisfaction with the Yanukovych regime that has taken a stand pretty similar to Erdogan.

Until a few days ago the protests were limited to Kiev but yesterday there were thousands of people marching here in Zapororozhzhye with no police intervention that we saw.

In the meantime I shall concern myself with more important issues – like where can I find baked beans in Zap or buy toilet paper without resorting to obscene gestures :moonie:

Any other Ukraine based TLFers on here I wonder?

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
Is it not about this time of the year Russia starts threatening to turn gas supplies off?

Usually in January.

When Tymoshenko was in power she acquiesced to the not unreasonable Russian demands that energy bills be paid. But when Yanukovych narrowly won the next election he jailed her for kowtowing.

Interesting situation. If Ukraine should join the EU then Brussels will demand Tymoshenko’s release. And if Yanukovych again receives demands from Russia can he accept without losing face?

All the people I’ve spoken to agree that Ukraine would be less corrupt under Tymoshenko but Yanukovych personally owns the major banks, manufacturing and metallurgical plants.

We live in interesting times.

Spurs

Spurs
Ukraine riots.
Usually in January.

When Tymoshenko was in power she acquiesced to the not unreasonable Russian demands that energy bills be paid. But when Yanukovych narrowly won the next election he jailed her for kowtowing.

Interesting situation. If Ukraine should join the EU then Brussels will demand Tymoshenko’s release. And if Yanukovych again receives demands from Russia can he accept without losing face?

All the people I’ve spoken to agree that Ukraine would be less corrupt under Tymoshenko but Yanukovych personally owns the major banks, manufacturing and metallurgical plants.

We live in interesting times.

As per, money talks whilst Russia whispers.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
Biggest protests so far today – even my wife & I joined the marchers!

… Anti government uproar in parliament but no majority unfortunately.

… And what does President Yanukovych have to say? Nothing! He’s just remembered an urgent appointment in China!

KyivPost / Independence. Community. Trust

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
Things hotting up here ... any bells ringing?

Let's hope it's not the start of another Orange Revolution.

BBC News - Europe

315dhc5.jpg

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
20ibk6.jpg

A Boxing Champ Rises In Ukraine's Bare-Knuckle World Of Politics - Topix

And why not? The US has had it’s actors, the UK has it's wonkers so with any luck we’ll have a boxer.

Seriously though Klitschko would get my vote. Maybe not the brightest but he’s honest and he’d have good advisors - more importantly he’d get rid of the mafia types that run the country at the moment.

Protests are getting bigger every day but now Putin is sending his special riot police in and things could turn nasty.

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
You old reactionary Jaycey. How many petrol bombs did you throw ?

You really should be more PC Des ... they’re called Molotov cocktails in this part of the world and we just use them to keep the cops warm :biggrin:

As for how many? Petrol is cheap here!

Spurs

Spurs
Ukraine riots.
Yet another Country rife with "back door dealings" being offered millions to join a flagging EU club...............WHY?

It was suggested that the EU was designed to be a challenge to the US, so is it now challenging Russia also?

How long before the Peace Prize is handed back?

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
Yet another Country rife with "back door dealings" being offered millions to join a flagging EU club...............WHY?

It was suggested that the EU was designed to be a challenge to the US, so is it now challenging Russia also?

How long before the Peace Prize is handed back?

The protests seem to be changing direction. Not so much joining EU as deposing a corrupt mafia government and getting out from under the Russian thumb. If fund/sloans were put into setting up a legimate government and building a proper infrastructure then Ukraine could be a valuable EU member.

Ukraine has a highly educated population, coal, gas and huge manufacturing and agricultural potential.

We’re not talking Romas here.

Spurs

Spurs
Ukraine riots.
The protests seem to be changing direction. Not so much joining EU as deposing a corrupt mafia government and getting out from under the Russian thumb. If fund/sloans were put into setting up a legimate government and building a proper infrastructure then Ukraine could be a valuable EU member.

Ukraine has a highly educated population, coal, gas and huge manufacturing and agricultural potential.

We’re not talking Romas here.

Jaycey, would it be the EU funding for the infrastructure of the Ukraine? Thats what gets me, the EU cannot balance the books or provide for the members who are already in it...............As proven with Greece & Italy, becoming members of the EU never stopped the corruption, in fact their politicians had a right earner. I personally wonder why anyone would even ponder joining the EU with its high unemployment & massive overspending. The only way I would want to join the EU is if I was worse off than the people who live there. So the Q is Jaycey, not really knowing much about the Ukraine & the fact that you know the country, are Ukrainians worse off than other EU countries or on par?

Last edited:

Jaycey

African Refugee
Ukraine riots.
Jaycey, would it be the EU funding for the infrastructure of the Ukraine? Thats what gets me, the EU cannot balance the books or provide for the members who are already in it...............As proven with Greece & Italy, becoming members of the EU never stopped the corruption, in fact their politicians had a right earner. I personally wonder why anyone would even ponder joining the EU with its high unemployment & massive overspending. The only way I would want to join the EU is if I was worse off than the people who live there. So the Q is Jaycey, not really knowing much about the Ukraine & the fact that you know the country, are Ukrainians worse off than other EU countries or on par?

Several questions there Spurs and I’m no expert on the country, still feeling my way around.

Agreed, I don’t understand why the EU would want to afford funding of lost causes neither do I understand why any country would want to be ruled from Brussels. I wouldn’t tie myself to a sinking ship.

But perhaps funding and/or economic aid is the wrong approach. Investment in Ukrainian resources would make more sense - a two way trade. Just a question of who jumps in first .. EU, Russia or China? But before any investment there has got to be a radical change of government or it will go straight to the mafia bosses.

I can’t say if Ukraine is worse off than other EU countries but a great % do live below the poverty level whilst a huge untapped potential could make it one of the most affluent countries in Europe. Imho Greece, Italy, Spain etc don’t even come close in work ethic or anything else.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
Ukraine riots.
A certain company ( supermarket ) is the largest foreign owner of agricultural land in the Ukraine , the container ( via rail ) loads of Ukrainian fruit , veg , lager etc. that head to the UK may surprise some.

Ukrainian farmers are the most productive suppliers available to the Uk market , although many if not most are UK owned.

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom