PASH

UK - Tax on having a patio
I will probably get shouted down in flames but i liked the "Poll Tax" to me it seemed fair, everyone used the services, so everyone should pay, there were safeguards for the less well off in terms of discounts etc.

teresa

Free Thinker
In my carefree young and single days LOL I lived in a 1 bedroomed flat on the top floor of a 22 storey block of flats in Palmers Green in North London. It was quiet and peaceful with amazing views over London (and the sunsets) and I had a balcony.

I am not sure I could afford the price hike now :)

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
i liked the "Poll Tax" to me it seemed fair, everyone used the services, so everyone should pay.

You're bang on there Pash, everyone had to pay that's why it was so unpopular

Pete

jcrian

The only thing they got wrong with the poll tax was the different ammounts people had to pay.

A much fairer system as everyone uses the amenities.

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
bloody hell I'm glad I've mover here, I used to live in a nice house, the last house on a cul de sac with views over Amber Valley in Derbyshire to the front, the side looked over farm land and the back over a field where horses were stabled, I had a large patio with built in BBQ, oh and a garage and parking for 3 cars................the council tax would have been more than the house was worth!!!! :animation

PASH

And there was me thinking i would be shot down in flames for being an advocate of the "poll Tax" appears there could be grounds to bring it back, i am sick to death of paying over £2000 per year for my partner and myself whereas my neighbour has 7 people staying in his house, all over 20 and pays once!:12:

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
I supported the Poll Tax too.
The last 4 labour governments have bankrupted the country before being voted out - why do they keep getting back in? Perhaps never again.
Thankfully I am out of it, but my extended family, many of whom have houses with a view, will be stung by this.
My blood is boiling today, and on this issue in particular, I have steam coming out of my ears! Everyday last week I read about Brown's government handing out money to foreign projects as if there is no tomorrow (perhaps for them there isn't).
My mother pays huge amounts of tax in varying forms, and this is another one to cap it off. While I also read in today's paper about MPs on foreign trips at taxpayer's expense, MPs who have watered down the controls on their spending so that it is as weak as before, and they have given themselves almost 90 days holiday.
I will never go back to UK.

Ian

Martyn

I supported the Poll Tax too.
The last 4 labour governments have bankrupted the country before being voted out - why do they keep getting back in?

I think the answer is there wasn't much of a choice, it was a case of voting for the one you hated the least. Labour have had it now but I think we will see a much more leaning to other parties than the big two.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
OMG i just had 90% of back garden slabbed over with ornate slabs . Think i need a paraceptomol now ......! thank god i have a tall hedge so don't see anything . Mum was blind so will the idiots charge blind people too ? They charge £5 less for bind peoples TV licence ! and wev'e all been robbed blind by this goverment . I can honestly say i.ve never in my life voted labour and i never will . It was inconsiderate of sceaming lord sutch to die silly twit . i'd have voted for him next time .....So back to blues Diane

Last edited:

bickern

I will probably get shouted down in flames but i liked the "Poll Tax" to me it seemed fair, everyone used the services, so everyone should pay, there were safeguards for the less well off in terms of discounts etc.

I guess you were not one of the less well off then, because your interpretation of a safeguard and those that suffered because they did not fit into that safeguard as you call it are probably different.

My parents were one of the less well off though and because my 2 lazy brothers stayed at home and wouldn't get a job where do you think it left my parents who were in retirement. I wont elaborate but the Poll Tax was a shambles.

Last edited:

PASH

My parents were one of the less well off though and because my 2 lazy brothers stayed at home and wouldn't get a job where do you think it left my parents who were in retirement. I wont elaborate but the Poll Tax was a shambles.

Well i think you hit the nail on the head, you had two lazy brothers who were responsible for their own poll tax, not your Mum and dad. If they were unemployed officially then they would have had No poll tax to pay. The whole point of the Poll tax was that it was a personal tax, so the tax burden was not your parents, it was your lazy brothers! I do however agree, it was very badly thought through and being Scottish, it was trialed on us one year before anyone else (hence only one Tory MP in Scotland still after all this time) When it first came out, my wife and myself paid £275 each but because of the level of non payment, that went up in the second year to nearly £400. The biggest problem with the poll tax was that it was uncollectable under the system devised and to this day, they still have not written off the non payments and are still chasing in Edinburgh.

tykatem

Available in sarcastic to
because my 2 lazy brothers stayed at home and wouldn't get a job where do you think it left my parents who were in retirement. I wont elaborate but the Poll Tax was a shambles.

So do you think present system is fair? Just because your 2 brothers could'nt be bothered to work, does that mean then it's ok for all those in work to pay for their lazyness? Everyone over the age of 18 should be made accountable

Pete

Martyn

The taxation system in the uk is way to complex and costs a fortune to administer. There must be a better, fairer way.

bickern

The big issue was the 20/100% split

People with jobs had to pay 100%, students and the unemployed paid 20%. However if someone in the household had a job all of the household was liable for 100%.

bickern

So do you think present system is fair? Just because your 2 brothers could'nt be bothered to work, does that mean then it's ok for all those in work to pay for their lazyness? Everyone over the age of 18 should be made accountable

Pete

The lazy were not accountable and made made to pay, the householder was.

The householder did have a safeguard yes, they could throw their lazy sons on the street.

Although there was no parental liability to pay a son or daughter’s Poll tax, the Community Charge Registration officer could designate a particular person as the ‘responsible individual’ who was required to register anyone in the household who was, or was soon to be, liable to pay. Thus, there was an implicit link between parent’s and children’s Community Charge: the family as a whole faced a greater financial burden when the child reached 18. Students had to pay at least 20% of the Community Charge).

The house owner was usually declared the ‘responsible individual’ or if someone in the household was in full time employment they could be designated as ‘responsible individual’

My dad owned the house and he received a pension and he had to pay.

Also councils purposefully inflated the charges because they guessed correctly that the government would be held responsible and not the councils (which proved correct)

The collection of it was the biggest cost and that is what you were being asked to pay for.

Does anyone honestly think there were riots because it was fair?

30% of those charged under this supposed safeguarded tax were refusing to pay it and 200,000 was at one rally alone in Trafalgar square.

Selective thinking me thinks on some peoples part

I am also an avid Thatcherite by the way and have always admired her, but some thing she did handle badly and the community charge was one of them

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom