Maisie

UK New Food Tax
I hear today that the government is considering a new tax on food - that is the foods that contain sugar and salt. I assume this means already processed foods, which must therefore include bread. This tax is supposed to put money into the NHS to deal with people needing treatment for having consumed too much sugar and/or salt. Their watchwords are that this will improve the nation's health and well being.

Well, such a tax would in itself go a long way to prevent this overindulgence. Manufacturers would obviously put their prices up to 'pay' for this tax which would put some foods outside the reach of certain of our population. So their intake would be reduced. Now and again I hear comments about these high sugar and/or salt products being those that are considered to be fast 'junk' food or 'convenience' foods. We are apparently becoming an overweight and unhealthy population because of these foods.

The news piece made reference to that idiot (in my opinion) Jamie Oliver and what he did to get sugar reduced in many drinks etc. This did have an effect. Try buying a bottle of drink (squashes, etc.) from a supermarket shelf that is not sugar reduced, or no added sugar. It is well nigh impossible. I find these drinks quite unpalatable and leave a twangy aftertaste which is awful. In my own circumstances, this has had the effect of meaning that I do not buy so many drinks that I did before Jamie's intervention as I have a vastly reduced selection to choose from. I condider this to be an infringement of my freedom of choice! Some manufacturers do offer products with what I consider to be a 'normal' amount of sugar alongside their 'no sugar added' items, but this requires a large amount of searching as the choice has been reduced. I have just heard some nutter on the BBC newspiece saying that we haven't noticed the difference in taste of reducing or removing the sugar in drinks! Well I am sorry - he is talking out of his backside! Now he is on about a tax on meat! At least they are acknowledging that these current tax proposals will likely hit the poorest people in our population.

I really object to being compelled to purchase foodstuffs that the government has had a hand in the manufacture thereof. If this sugar and/or salt tax goes ahead, then the range of affordable products will be reduced along with the sugar and/or salt!

Whatever will be next? Perhaps a tax on the water content in foods. They cannot tax the air we breathe (yet), so that only leaves water.

Shades of Big Brother are looming!

Maisie

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
UK New Food Tax
I take it you mean the UK government.

It all depends on how these taxes are applied. there needs to be limits set down. To my mind such things as 'Energy drinks' should be drenched in tax, and virtually unaffordable. Salt has its place too, IMHO the real culprits are the processed foods, ready meals, frozen meals etc.
If we follow a recipe in a cookbook we always cut down on the sugar, if it is a savoury dish, eg a curry, I miss it out all together.

We make our own soft drinks, eg vişne suyu, and add very little sugar, to what is a very sour fruit.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
UK New Food Tax
I've always had the low or no sugar options myself, currently binging on No added sugar vimto, which of your favourite drinks have disappeared Maisie ?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
UK New Food Tax
Can you still ferment it with no added sugar Martin?
Yes if there is a miniscule amount, pointless though, in brewing I would add No added Sugar cordial to the mix of apple juice from concentrate. It adds some sweetness and obviously some flavour

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
UK New Food Tax
It is a tax on the poor. Admittedly, "the poor" tend to eat the worst diet, but charging them more will not change behaviour. Watch out for taxes on meat and dairy, for example - this is real nanny state stuff.

They would be better off giving better dietary advice - change the government food pyramid to cut out some of the toxic fats and carbohydrates.

Ian

Maisie

UK New Food Tax
It is not so much about what has disappeared, more that the choice has narrowed.

I push my trolley round Sainsbury's into the drinks aisle. Many, many bottles of various flavours on the shelves. Some sound very nice, but these are all labelled "no added sugar". So it comes down to hunt the sugar! I have never been a heavy drinker of squashes and non-dilute options. But it seems to me that the biggest variety of flavours are in the no added sugar bottles.

Vimto still makes what I call a fizzy 'sugar' variety and likewise Coke and Pepsi. These are available in Poundland at two 350ml or 500ml bottles for £1. What I have done is to purchase some of the no sugar variety squashes and dilute them with fizzy flavoured water. The best of these came from Aldi. Whilst the water is the no sugar variety, the added flavours in the water balance out the twang of the squash/cordial.

I like Emerge, a supposed energy drink, although it does not give me any extra energy! I just like the taste. This is available in Farm Foods at two for £1. Bargain as the bottles are 1 litre each. They also do a no sugar variety, but I buy what I suppose is 'full sugar', and use this also for dilution.

The BBC are still on about this, but have now said that in the main, this proposed tax is aimed at snack items, i.e. crisps and snacks. How are they going to make ready salted crisps taste the same if they reduce the salt? They are saying that, like the drinks, it will encourage manufacturers to take out more of the 'bad' ingredients, and increase the 'good' ingredients. Pardon? This is total BS in my opinion. They also seem to be attacking many cakes and biscuits. I am not too bothered about these, but I bet the taste will change.

Mention has also been made of the possibility of doctors 'prescribing' fruit and vegetables. The mind boggles! The chemists are going to be happy providing, say on one prescription, one cabbage, one cauliflower, kilos of apples and likewise pears and nets of oranges! Or will supermarkets have to gear up to supply these items on prescription? I would have thought that this would be more expensive for the consumers given the cost per item on a prescription. Okay for me though, as given my vast age, I get my prescriptions free. That would cause chaos at the tills and play havoc with stock levels, as the tills will be registering a zero charge item.

This country is going mad!

Maisie

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
UK New Food Tax
Meanwhile in the land of mixed messages, McDonalds have announced that from now until the end of the year they will treat all NHS staff to a 20% reduction in their food !!

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
UK New Food Tax
Meanwhile in the land of mixed messages, McDonalds have announced that from now until the end of the year they will treat all NHS staff to a 20% reduction in their food !!
Does that mean they will get smaller portions to make them healthier?

mollag

Kipper restorer
UK New Food Tax
Making things more expensive to reduce consumption is just low level prohibition, this creates maybe more problems than those they wish to cure. Expensive alcohol ? cheap bootleg alternatives spring up, teens on nights out fuel up on "buckfast" or cheap e tablets. This removes quality control leading to poisonings and overdosing, I have been told, "man in the pub" that a night on cocaine is cheaper than an alcohol night in the Clubs. The area to hit is the source--the producers, limit the sugar content in soft drinks with them , by law at production level makes more sense.
Want to cut plastic production, hit the makers, not the end user, no one I know ever went to a shop and demanded more plastic packaging, it's use is purely an economic choice by the producer, not a choice of the customer.
Of course the snag is that the big sugar and plastic producers have back door influence to our MPs via lobbying than the folk they claim to represent.
:confused:

juco

UK New Food Tax
Apart from the fact loads of NHS staff are obese, they have never lost wages, have full employment and thousands are dying because they cannot get treated in hospital. Should be more the people who have lost jobs, businesses and their freedom that get 20% off.

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
UK New Food Tax
Apart from the fact loads of NHS staff are obese, they have never lost wages, have full employment and thousands are dying because they cannot get treated in hospital. Should be more the people who have lost jobs, businesses and their freedom that get 20% off.
I somehow don't see a queue of NHS staff at the doors to McDonalds. They have full employment because it was vital not a paid holiday that many have had. Those who can't treated have to blame the government not the NHS staff.
I somehow can't see that someone who has lost their job or business will exactly thrive on a big Mac even at a 20% discount.

Chasey

UK New Food Tax
It's just a new tax pure and simple. I very much doubt it will be passed on directly to the NHS its just a new money grab.

The tax won't be significant enough to change people's dietary choices in any way but it will no doubt make the Govt a few billion more pounds of workers money.

Look at the congestion charge? How come it still takes me 3 hours to drive through London if that tax is working to reduce congestion?

Mushroom

Top Poster Of Month
UK New Food Tax
It's just a new tax pure and simple. I very much doubt it will be passed on directly to the NHS its just a new money grab.

The tax won't be significant enough to change people's dietary choices in any way but it will no doubt make the Govt a few billion more pounds of workers money.

Look at the congestion charge? How come it still takes me 3 hours to drive through London if that tax is working to reduce congestion?
Jeez Chasey.

Is it so bad to travel?
I can drive from home to the outskirts of London in about the same time, notwithstanding any incidents en-route.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom