guinevere

UK MOT test
my daughters' car failed its' MOT yesterday ,on 3 little things .......and one of them being ,she had an air freshener hanging from the mirror ! is that right ??? i honestly thought she was making it up ,and was then thinking about all the cars that had stuff hanging from the mirror ,so they must all be illegal !
sorry had to tell someone :eek:))

hijo

in my own clique
UK MOT test
..the only thing i can think that would be is an impedement to vision,or distraction..but surley for that they would just ask to remove it..but nowadays i can beleive anything..:11:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
UK MOT test
The thing with the UK MOT is that the test is all about the condition of the vehicle at the precise moment that it's examined. No adjustments can be made to the condition of the vehicle during the test and if ANYTHING on the test list is found to be wrong or inoperable, it's a failure.

In the case of your daughter's car it would have failed under "Windscreen ; Its condition and the driver’s view of the road."

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
UK MOT test
that depends on the height of the driver, and the size of the air freshener, in our car my wifes air freshener impedes my view of the rd, but only her view of the sky.
the tax disc (bottom left hand corner impedes or limits her view of side rds) move it and you can be prosecuted for failing to display.
should I change my wife ?

martin

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
UK MOT test
Yes, if your wife smells so badly that you need an air freshener, it's time to change her. :3:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
UK MOT test
she hangs one of those airwick every half hour things from the mirror ! must be bad, and i do like the car (even though it is hers) so I may take your advice kkob

martin

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
UK MOT test
Now would also be a good time to change the bunches of garlic hanging on the front and rear bumpers for fresh ones. It'll improve vision by helping to keep the swarms of flies away.

:roundgrin

martin m

UK MOT test
Hi KKOB
yes in the world of the rule book you are spot on, now whats that word im looking for!!!! oh yes COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
martin

Mushroom

UK MOT test
I think the word pedantic would be appropriate and the two words that now spring to mind would be 'bad publicity'. I think I would have to accept the decision but let as many people as possible know just how tight they want to work within those 'rules'.
After all if the car was already going to fail on two little points which appear to have been valid, it might have been common courtesy to have asked for the air freshener to be removed and stating why. At least it would have been the decent thing to do in the circumstances.
There used to be an anomoly some years ago when it was within the MOT test to check the spare tyre for its general condition and tread depth, as the other tyres would have been checked, and if it wasn't legal, it failed and the car faled the test.
The only thing was, at that time it wasn't a compulsory part of the test to have the spare in the car at the time, so if you had a spare tyre which would have failed the test, but took it out and away from the car just before the test - that was fine and did not count !! Not a lot of people knew that.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
UK MOT test
And all good Transport Managers kept a set of "MOT Wheels". The day that a vehicle went in for it's test all the wheels were removed and the "MOT Wheels" went on until the pass certificate was issued. Then the old wheels were put back on again.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom