Kanga

UK Cost of Living
Why should taxpayers fork out to buy back shares?
There's no evidence that any British government is any good at running infrastructure, just look at the sacred cow the NHS for a start. They only focus on the term in power to the next election.

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
My overdraft limit has just gone up and I've never used it ever. I have to agree.
My bank statement has always shown an overdraft limit. As I have never (hand on heart) overdrawn my account, I generally just ignored this. However, upon getting an email saying that they were increasing this limit, I got annoyed and sent them an email saying that I did not want an overdraft limit - so please remove it. I also directed them to my account and asked why I would want this.

I had to ask many times before the bank eventually capitulated and sent me a letter - by post no less - to say that they were removing this from my account. Hooray!

Maisie

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
Mr Starmers half assed half private half public owned proposal is typical of the fence sitting dithering of the half Tory.

His proposal would mean Joe public tax payer paying for shareholders dividends.

For once in your life starmer make a proper proposal and stick to it.

He has reneged entirely on his original pledge to support nationalisation.

Corbyn proposed taking energy and other companies back into public ownership years ago. Brown recently started to see where JC was right.

Starmer as ever cannot make a judgement or decision he sticks to and simply u turns on previous promises and comes up with feeble alternatives

I agree they should belong to the public none profit. But its like any privatised company it loses money because of the attitude of the workers and the bosses they just don't care because they know that their jobs are safe.

Saoirse

UK Cost of Living
The attitude of bosses currently across what should be state owned companies is one of unbridled greed mismanagement and treating staff with contempt .

Its greed from the top that fuels this crisis not workers kicking against zero rises and effectively wage cuts whilst bosses and shareholders rape the profits

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
I agree they should belong to the public none profit. But its like any privatised company it loses money because of the attitude of the workers and the bosses they just don't care because they know that their jobs are safe.
Welsh Water, our supplier, is a not for profit company and seems to do reasonably well. My biggest complaint was the two years it took to convince them we dont own the field below our house where they have a meter fed water tank for cattle. There's no mystery about it but they seem unable to correct the address.
Then they 'upgraded' their computer system and changed our address and I wasn't able to correct it online. Neither could they despite several phone calls. How difficult can it be?
The main thing in their favour is the bill, we pay £212 per year for unlimited water as we have a septic tank.

Camden

UK Cost of Living

Up to £60m in UK crops left to rot owing to lack of workers, says NFU​

Farming union chief says situation ‘nothing short of a travesty, as crops also hit by drought and record... heat

Brexit has reduced access to temporary workers coming in from the EU, while the war in Ukraine has disrupted flow from a country that has provided a large proportion of the UK’s harvest workers in recent years.

Up to 38,000 visas have been made available under this year’s seasonal workers scheme, which offers short-term visas to those helping with food production. However, the farming industry says it needs 70,000 alone.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
UK Cost of Living

Up to £60m in UK crops left to rot owing to lack of workers, says NFU​

Farming union chief says situation ‘nothing short of a travesty, as crops also hit by drought and record... heat

Brexit has reduced access to temporary workers coming in from the EU, while the war in Ukraine has disrupted flow from a country that has provided a large proportion of the UK’s harvest workers in recent years.

Up to 38,000 visas have been made available under this year’s seasonal workers scheme, which offers short-term visas to those helping with food production. However, the farming industry says it needs 70,000 alone.

They need us more than we need them .
Steve

Hilsjw

UK Cost of Living
Lack of seasonal workers ? How is it I see fit young people queueing at the local "dole office" ? I picked tomatoes when we had a financial problem, so why can't others ? I had a friend who lost his job many years ago, he was entitled to Government help, but he refused, instead he did litter picking for his local council. and earnt just enough to keep the family going until he got a better job.

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
Lack of seasonal workers ? How is it I see fit young people queueing at the local "dole office" ? I picked tomatoes when we had a financial problem, so why can't others ? I had a friend who lost his job many years ago, he was entitled to Government help, but he refused, instead he did litter picking for his local council. and earnt just enough to keep the family going until he got a better job.
A lot of people just don't want hard work it's beneath them. I wouldn't give them a choice no work no money. But they can't because of human rights. It's the same in turkey now the young just want to sit and drink coffee on their mobiles and live off mam and dad.

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
I have long been an advocate of 'no work, no money', but I am in the minority. As Enoch says, the phrase "human rights" gets bandied about. As I have said before, the local Job Centre is only a few yards from my front door. I see so many apparently able-bodied people in and out all day.

It is a long time since I entered this building, but am pretty sure there will be many jobs advertised in there that are immediately available. So why are these jobs not 'married' with those attending for their hand out? If I remember rightly, looking for a job and 'signing on' are in two separate locations in this building. And "never the twain shall meet".

Litter picking and road sweeping always come to mind. Particularly when viewing our local High Street and surrounding areas, my own road included. I get fed up with the cans, bottles, takeaway wrappings etc. that I regularly have to remove from my front garden, thrown there by those too lazy to take their litter with them. The Job Centre is approached by a set of steps, and during the times this building is closed (evenings and weekends) these steps are occupied by groups of people eating, smoking and other activities and leaving their detritus when they leave.

There used to be a nightclub almost opposite the Job Centre and when this closed at 2.30am, I also used to get bottles and even glasses tossed into my front garden. This has abated a bit since the premises were demolished as part of the High Street regeneration.

I don't believe that there is a lack of workers. There is a surfeit of those who will not work. I don't see a correlation here. The two sets of figures are never looked at together.

Maisie

Akasya

Postless Pointer
UK Cost of Living
A lot of people just don't want hard work it's beneath them. I wouldn't give them a choice no work no money. But they can't because of human rights. It's the same in turkey now the young just want to sit and drink coffee on their mobiles and live off mam and dad.
I have differing views on this , many seasonal jobs have rubbish expensive accomodation tacked on as they are in the middle of nowhere , seasonal and do not pay enough . I know several guys sanctioned by an onerous regime that stops benefits at the drop of a hat . We have adverts on our local fb page for low paid jobs every day that people cannot afford to accept , bus travel is expensive and only core hours , parking if they have a car is outrageous too . The basic room around here plus bills is £600 , a one bed flat is £1200 per month so the young cannot afford it .
Life is so expensive and taxation so high that folk are priced out of work , and benefits are so poor .
Steve

Akasya

Postless Pointer
UK Cost of Living
I fofgot , sorry....so many jobs are psrt time , in order to keep employers costs down , juggling two or three jobs to make ends meet is no good . Once again many job adverts are for several part timers and now they are not getting them locally as the eu workers have departed .
Steve

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
I have differing views on this , many seasonal jobs have rubbish expensive accomodation tacked on as they are in the middle of nowhere , seasonal and do not pay enough . I know several guys sanctioned by an onerous regime that stops benefits at the drop of a hat . We have adverts on our local fb page for low paid jobs every day that people cannot afford to accept , bus travel is expensive and only core hours , parking if they have a car is outrageous too . The basic room around here plus bills is £600 , a one bed flat is £1200 per month so the young cannot afford it .
Life is so expensive and taxation so high that folk are priced out of work , and benefits are so poor .
Steve
Under stand fully so really the farmer needs to help with with passable accommodation for the the duration of time if they're loosing that much money surely it would be a good investment? Many years ago they had a system in place you could sign on and work if it was park time and the benefits made up your wages in line with benefits. But everything is different now. The pickers wages will have to be increased, but its one of them jobs you will get paid on how much work you get done, that's were it has a problem because a lot of people just want to turn up and get paid.

Last edited:

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
Correct, and anticipated to reach 13% by the end of the year.
The next BOE meeting in September is rumoured to be making another 0.5% rise.
Our savings are mainly either instant access or short notice to make the best of this fiasco by moving to the best rates.

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
I thought that jobseekers were offered up to 3 jobs and if they turned them down their benefits were cut . . . or did I dream it?

Can Jobcentre stop your benefits?

If the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) thinks that you have not met the conditions for your benefit, they can reduce or stop your benefit for a period of time

Latest Posts

Top Bottom