enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
Slightly unfair , the only way to protest in the uk isnot to vote or spoil the paper , if those elected are affecting you , yor family orlife then they have every right to complain imho , some folk really do not discern much difference between the parties , so why would they vote .
Steve
Yes I agree but not voting, will not stop the election

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
Yes and no Enoch.

Don't take too much notice of our friend Chips I was involved in politics directly for decades and even after leaving Ireland have voted in my adopted Spain

As regards voting if the choice is between Tweedledee and Tweedledum it's not really a choice.

I like the system where there's a none of the above option and if that choice gains a certain required percentage of the vote the poll must be rerun with new candidates added etc
Not meaning anyone in general. Just a comment.

mollag

Kipper restorer
UK Cost of Living
Supermarkets are full of customers with trollies groaning with food etc. Any restaurant worth its salt is full. I really don't see much poverty here in Worthing, apart from usual drunks on the seafront, but they've been there for years, funded of course, by the tax payer ! (costs a lot of cash to buy alcohol )
Is Worthing a Tory constituency ?

esb1841

UK Cost of Living
Simply to highlight the fakery facts that this global crisis is affecting every country equally, it isn't.

I don't think anyone has stated that the energy crisis is affecting every country equally I have seen fake posts that have tried to indicate that the UK is suffering more than all other EU countries but these posts are without substance as they simply attached a chart linking multiple sources and without links to each source so the reader can see how the end result was obtained

June 2022

Dutch gas prices second highest in Europe​

The Netherlands has the second highest gas price in Europe, with Dutch consumers paying about double the EU average. Only Sweden has a higher gas price, Energievergelijk.nl reports after analyzing figures from the Household Energy Price Index on 33 European countries

August 2022

Netherlands has highest gas price in EU​

Last month, the Netherlands had the highest gas price of all European Union member states, Nieuwsuur reports based on figures from comparison site Energievergelijk.nl. On average, Dutch households paid 283 euros per megawatt hour (MWh) of gas in July, more than double the average EU household.

Gas is also about half the Netherlands’ price in neighboring countries, Germany and Belgium. Sweden still had the highest gas price in June, but the Netherlands surpassed it in July. In Sweden, the gas price was 237 euros per MWh last month.

Netherlands residents also pay a lot for electricity at 419 euros per MWh, including levies and a reduction in energy tax. The electricity price is only higher in Italy and Denmark.

New energy contract €4,000 more expensive than a year ago​

Netherlands residents who have to conclude a new energy contract will pay almost 6,500 euros for gas and electricity annually. That is over 4,000 euros more than a year ago, NU.nl reports based on figures from comparison site Gaslicht.com.

According to the comparison site, an annual contract for gas and light cost an average of 6,466 euros annually on August 1. That includes the VAT reduction the Cabinet implemented to help keep energy prices lower. Last year it cost 2,308 euros on the same day. The comparison is based on the average consumption of the average household.

Going from paying an average of 2,308 euros to an average of 6,466 euros is a huge increase

Gas Levy Could Triple Household Heating Bills In Germany​

Germany plans to introduce a levy for all its gas consumers beginning in October as the government looks to avoid a wave of collapsing gas-importing and gas-trading companies amid record-high natural gas prices, a new bill seen by Reuters showed on Thursday.
Under the plans of the government, all consumers of gas, including households, will have to pay an additional levy, which will go to support Germany's gas importing companies, which struggle with a lack of Russian gas and sky-high prices of non-Russian alternatives. The details of the bill are set to be announced next month.

Households and industrial consumers are expected to pay the levy through September 2024, according to the draft Reuters has seen.

Chasey

UK Cost of Living
You highlight EVERY political Party in the UK.
There’s a big difference between National & global.
Do you honestly think that if energy companies were nationalised we wouldn’t be facing this crisis?

I am constantly amused by the people who suggest nationalization of critical services like transport power and water would be a disaster

But suggest they privatize the national health? and the same people are in an uproar?

Totally devoid of logic IMHO.

Critical services should run AT COST and the tax burden should be distributed based on wealth

The concept of privatization where there's oversite to maintain standards and profitability factored in has demonstrably failed. The Oversite isn't working and the Profits are large.

I do not think in today's society we can risk having critical services in the profit-making business.

If you accept the well-tested Pareto Theory of 80/20 you will agree that there is a hierarchical pyramid for everything in life and the world functions pretty well in this situation

HOWEVER, history teaches us that the people at the top had dammed well make the people at the bottom modestly comfortable or the revolution will take place and a NEW hierarchical pyramid will emerge. (Note China, Russia, Vietnam, Cambodia, N Korea).

So mistreat the plebiscite at your peril.

mollag

Kipper restorer
UK Cost of Living
I give as an example Luxembourg, EU founder member.
All transport other than Taxis , is free, buses , Trams and Trains. They dont seem to see the worth in profiting from essential services, PS they are not a Communist country :rolleyes:

429nufc

UK Cost of Living
Good point but bad example They survive by facilitating companies in tax mitigation. Their free bus is financed by Someone in another country getting less tax take. Sorry!

mollag

Kipper restorer
UK Cost of Living
Good point but bad example They survive by facilitating companies in tax mitigation. Their free bus is financed by Someone in another country getting less tax take. Sorry!
The UK is a major tax dodging country also, so----:unsure:

Hilsjw

UK Cost of Living
Letter written to The Daily Telegraph.

Here in the Thames Water area we are lucky. The CEO of our supplier is so good at her job that she has received £727,000. bonus this year, in addition to her £2m salary. This must mean that we have no shortages, and that Thames Water is delivering the service I have paid for.

Bob Massingham, Bicester, Oxfordshire.

mollag

Kipper restorer
UK Cost of Living
Probably amongst the worst but that doesn’t mean Luxembourg is a good example of governance
But it serves it's peoples transport need well, this is the point of the post, the UK does not, it's priority is shareholders profits, check out Transport subsidies to Rail firms, the Public still pays, both in high cost fares and handouts.

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
View attachment 30021

Did I mention Thames Water has been a significant donor to the Conservative Party ???

Polio booster vaccine to be offered to children in London after more virus found in the City wastewater. Water companies should be under public control.
I hope someone has the guts to insist that all children returning to school this autumn must provide a valid polio vaccination certificate for entry. Mz Truss?

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
Letter written to The Daily Telegraph.

Here in the Thames Water area we are lucky. The CEO of our supplier is so good at her job that she has received £727,000. bonus this year, in addition to her £2m salary. This must mean that we have no shortages, and that Thames Water is delivering the service I have paid for.

Bob Massingham, Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Gand wage and bonus for turning a tap on.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom