Kanga

UK Cost of Living
Seen on fb today.

Nothing to do with Turkey, but may help with the hike in energy costing.
DO NOT refuse to pay your energy bill in October. Below is how you can make a stand and hurt your energy supplier without getting into debt/damaging your credit rating:
1. Cancel your DD & pay for what you use each month.
2. You then need to write a letter of complaint to your energy supplier. Once that complaint had been raised, your energy supplier can't take any debt collection work on your account, so they can't pass your details to the credit reference agencies etc. That bill gets put on hold whilst they try to resolve your complaint.
The energy company might offer you a small reduction - DON'T accept it. Keep the complaint open & hold strong.
3. Eventually, they will send you a letter of 'Deadlock'. A letter of Deadlock is a letter that is sent to you from your energy company saying they gone as far as they can with your complaint & can't go any further, so your only option now is to take it up with the energy Ombudsman.
For every complaint the Ombudsman receives, they charge your energy supplier £500 for every claim they have to investigate.
4. The energy companies also have limitations on how many complaints they're allowed open as well as a turnaround time of how fast they have to respond to a complaint & get a complaint closed. If they don't respond to them fast enough & don't resolve the complaints or they have too many complaints open, the energy firm will also get hit with a fine from the Ombudsman.
This is how your hurt an energy company. This will also put them in breach of their licensing conditions
& put their ability to trade at risk.
So if you want to fight these extortionate price hikes
1. Raise complaints
2. Do NOT close them
3. Take them to the Ombudsman
You can also submit a “subject access request” at the same time as the above. This means the energy company has a legal obligation to provide you with every piece of information they have on you; including telephone conversation transcripts, past bills, everything! This is time consuming for them to collect and is a huge hassle for them however they legally have only one month to comply.
Edit: the accompanying graphic contains a quote from Martin Lewis. This was taken from an article by Tyla. The written content of this post was taken from a commentator on the Tyla article. I thought others would find it useful so I made this post public.

juco

UK Cost of Living
1. Cancel your DD & pay for what you use each month.
Shell...."
If you didn’t pay by Direct Debit with Green, you have 90 days to set one up with us. If you choose not to set up a Direct Debit with us, we’ll move you onto the non-Direct Debit version of our Flexible tariff. You’ll also incur an extra charge to cover the costs of supporting your payment choice"....​

I have kept my DD at £90 and pay the balance each month. I may just email them now and ask if I incur extra charges if I pay by cheque each month.

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
In these troubled times, for those using Sky packages, consider Qbox that gets streams on almost everything especially sport, then add Tenda Nova box.
The Qbox costed about £20 with a little chip for £50 a year for the full monty of options.
The Tenda box costs £70 for three boosters for the WiFi signal.
Yesterday, with one booster connected to our hub upstairs in my office, one downstairs in the lounge and one in the conservatory, we have a brilliant WiFi signal upstairs and down, that even reaches the far end of our sizable garden at the rear.
No buffering for footy and the strange veggie journo daughter can be working in the garden with no drop in signal at any time.

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
Shell...."
If you didn’t pay by Direct Debit with Green, you have 90 days to set one up with us. If you choose not to set up a Direct Debit with us, we’ll move you onto the non-Direct Debit version of our Flexible tariff. You’ll also incur an extra charge to cover the costs of supporting your payment choice"....​

I have kept my DD at £90 and pay the balance each month. I may just email them now and ask if I incur extra charges if I pay by cheque each month.
A good idea, please will you share the answer.
We have a fixed rate tariff until 2024 but are moving in the spring, and hoping to take the tariff with us. Does anyone know if you can transfer to a new property? This is a new build so no previous usage.

Camden

UK Cost of Living
Who runs a caretaker government when the caretakers are on holiday?

While our increasingly impotent Tory government goes AWOL and 35m people in the UK face the real threat of fuel poverty, the French government caps its citizens energy bill increases to 4% and announces the full nationalization of EDF energy.
FZpX4p0XoAAC7Rl.jpg

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
UK Cost of Living
Who runs a caretaker government when the caretakers are on holiday?

While our increasingly impotent Tory government goes AWOL and 35m people in the UK face the real threat of fuel poverty, the French government caps its citizens energy bill increases to 4% and announces the full nationalization of EDF energy.
View attachment 29893
Why does Parliament even close for holidays.?

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
I was reading that we are paying a 30% green levy on our energy bills.
I think I'm right in saying, that was introduced by the Tories, probably as a lesser amount initially but later raised to keep princess nut nut and pals happy.
Those millions every week subsidising wooden pellets to Drax power station and other schemes should be put on hold and the levy suspended in current times.
Windfall tax from Energy companies should be imposed and whilst I don't care who becomes the PM of the Tories, no action will cost them dearly.

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
The BBC is reporting today that there are now millions of families who are in the red over the current cost of energy. The report says that many people have now used up any credit they might have had since the costs increased earlier this year. Of course, this is set to get worse after the cap rise in October, and then again early next year. The season is approaching when consumers will want, of necessity, to use more energy.

They are saying that next year, the average cost will be £4,000 (I assume this is an annual estimate). This is getting crazy. What is the point in increasing the costs when people cannot afford the prices now?

Maisie

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
Dont they just love to spread doom and gloom and heap misery on misery. Fact is nobody knows what the cost will be but they're having a lovely time frightening us (well, some of us) anyway. There is not a political party in the land that can afford to let these prices rip, so they will have to do something.
I dont understand why it's not compulsory to fit solar panels and heat pumps on newbuilds. Meanwhile there's a £5k grant in England for panels but nothing in Wales. However, in Wales every new home must have a fire sprinkler system installed which adds about 12k to the construction costs.
I'm waiting for the cost of water to go up next. . . .

juco

UK Cost of Living
A good idea, please will you share the answer.
We have a fixed rate tariff until 2024
Answer from Shell..................Hello, if you do that then you would lose the direct debit discount which is applied into the standing charges. The discount is £4 per fuel per month so if removed then the standing charges go up. Alternatively, if you want to just pay for what you use and that's it then you can change to a variable direct debit on the account. Sean

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
Thanks, in other words, work it out for yourself. At least a variable DDM means you wont end up with a debt but if you have a limited budget you could end up with your account overdrawn.
I'm afraid the banks are going to end up as social security for the middle classes like back in the 70's.

juco

UK Cost of Living
Thanks, in other words, work it out for yourself. At least a variable DDM means you wont end up with a debt but if you have a limited budget you could end up with your account overdrawn.
I dont think moving to variable would be much help for those struggling, as you state they would probably end up being overdrawn at some stage.
So it costs an extra £100 a year to stop the DD :(

mollag

Kipper restorer
UK Cost of Living
Stand strong dear UK, Liz Truss is on her way with a plan, she intends to roll out her enhanced Margaret Thatcher tribute act, or not, still tossing the coin on that one, what can possibly go wrong.
What a wise choice it was, voting the Tories in. :unsure:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom