juco

UK Cost of Living
I have noticed that this is the same with grassed areas in my local parks etc. Does anyone know if these will recover when rainfall returns to normal? Or will I have to mount a re-seeding programme?
Grass tends to recover, although it wont look good for a while. You would run out of time for re-seeding this year as late Autumn is not the best time to do it, so in Spring you should see it recovering.
I wouldn't cut the grass until you see signs of recovery which usually takes around 6 weeks when rainfall returns to normal.

Last edited:

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
I cannot get a watering can under the tap in my kitchen. It is for this reason that we had an outside tap installed. I don't know whether it is usual, but all of my cold taps (except the upstairs shower) are fed directly from the mains. Even the washbasins in the bedrooms.

Or are you saying to fill the butt from a hose pipe? This would alleviate the situation for a short time if a ban is imposed. I will do this today.

This reminds me of a situation when we were in Turkey. The water had been shut off to the complex (six villas) due to the bill not being paid by the builder going back to his original build. However, the water was switched on for an hour or so each day. So we filled the baths.

Maisie

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
The latest problem to hit the UK economy has been described as 'staycation fatigue' which I had anticipated but not so quickly.
After the end of lockdowns with no foreign holidays available, the UK residents booked up by everything they could in the UK last year.
Naturally prices shot up as the situation was exploited.
This year, with foreign holidays available, even with all the problems at airports/flights etc, they have not been put off.
This has led to a UK drop in holiday bookings and the vacancies have started to appear where last year they were all full.
To make matters worse, as the cost of living bites, the prediction is that both foreign and UK holidays will be falling down the list of priorities and the only good news is that a fall in demand should bring about reductions in holiday pricing to try to entice customers.
I have already noted discounts in UK holiday rentals which were at ridiculously high levels last year.
By the end of the UK summer season, by October as energy prices rise, inflation gets even higher, and a recession begins, less spending will be on holidays and it will be a case of holidays being put on the back burner.
As our current situation is with us through the next year at least, there could be some holiday homes going up for sale?

UK Cost of Living
Yes Maisie, fill the butt with your hosepipe or whatever means you find easiest.

The grass in one corner of our garden here in Turkey was completely brown. After just a few days of watering it has recovered. In the UK you will find your lawn recover quickly once the weather changes.
Look on the bright side, whilst the weather is hot & dry, you won't need to cut it

You will get your £200/300 pensioner's winter fuel payment in addition to the £400 that everyone is getting

Efesake

UK Cost of Living
Plus an extra £300 paid to all pensioner households who receive Wfa.So If you are a pensioner living alone you will receive £500.The £400 is on top of that.
Should see someone through the 1st 2 months of next year.

enoch

UK Cost of Living
Interestingly, the BBC has just said that the Bank of England is forecasting that inflation will hit 15% by the end of the year.

Great for pensioners! We will get a pension increase based on the inflation figure in September, hopefully! As has already been pointed out on this thread, this is before the next energy cap is announced, which will doubtless raise present energy prices.

Now, of course, they have moved the goalposts and the energy price cap will be 'reviewed' every three months instead of six monthly. So another one at the end of December 2022. My flabber will be gasted if this change does not result in the energy companies wanting - and getting - more money out of us.

Maisie
I bet inflation drops end of August for the pension increase.

enoch

UK Cost of Living
I cannot get a watering can under the tap in my kitchen. It is for this reason that we had an outside tap installed. I don't know whether it is usual, but all of my cold taps (except the upstairs shower) are fed directly from the mains. Even the washbasins in the bedrooms.

Or are you saying to fill the butt from a hose pipe? This would alleviate the situation for a short time if a ban is imposed. I will do this today.

This reminds me of a situation when we were in Turkey. The water had been shut off to the complex (six villas) due to the bill not being paid by the builder going back to his original build. However, the water was switched on for an hour or so each day. So we filled the baths.

Maisie
That's normal maisia cold from the mains,

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
UK Cost of Living

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
Again in that article - pensioners only get mentioned after everyone else.

I am really fearful about the state pensions (if such things exist then) that will affect the current working population. So many families being helped and supported, allegedly, to live now. What about their futures? These people are hardly in a financial position to arrange for pensions for later life. I wonder what the government thinking is on this?

Maisie

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
Again in that article - pensioners only get mentioned after everyone else.

I am really fearful about the state pensions (if such things exist then) that will affect the current working population. So many families being helped and supported, allegedly, to live now. What about their futures? These people are hardly in a financial position to arrange for pensions for later life. I wonder what the government thinking is on this?

Maisie
Pensioners are seen as a burden on the finances of the nation.
I would expect that the state pension will be phased out, but with sufficient time for those who will need a private pension to replace it to do so.
Then, the private pension pots can be plundered at a later date no doubt !

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
Whilst phasing out will not affect present pensioners, how on earth are people supposed to take out private pensions? They are being financially 'helped' by the government already. Or will the government allocate funds to these people to 'buy' pensions?

Son has told me that he doesn't think there will be a 'state pension' when he can eventually afford to retire.

If, and when, this happens, how will the government justify NI payments when we have been told, since Adam was a lad, that NI pays for the state pension? Obviously, not all NI contributions pay for the state pension, so at this time will there be a 'surplus' for channelling into, for example the NHS? I am afraid I see a country where retiring personnel will have to apply to the state for subsistence.

Maisie

enoch

UK Cost of Living
I would expect that the state pension will be phased out, but with sufficient time for those who will need a private pension to replace it to do so.
You mean like last time who was it by labour (brown)?

enoch

UK Cost of Living
My son didn't say that but he said the country cannot afford it. Now that's a young man and his partner how both make in his words more than an astronaut.

Camden

UK Cost of Living
From one end of the Market

I bet the lucky shareholders are breathing a sigh of relief as UK’s largest electricity distribution business, UK Power Networks Ltd, has said that the £280 million hit they have taken from the energy companies failing, will be passed on to hard-hit customers.

To the other end....

FZiWQWTXoAAqb-d.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom