Hilsjw

UK Cost of Living
Quite agree with your misses Mushroom. I've told Bill I will not go anywhere where the facilities are not as good or preferably better than we have at home. i.e. four star and not Airbnb either. Far too many for them around which is so bad for the housing/long term rental market.

Maisie

UK Cost of Living
Sometimes it is part of the fun though. I remember in Cuba, now nearly 40 years ago, playing hunt the shop for the first few days. Three years later, again going to Cuba, it had changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Similarly a shock to the system at our first holiday to Turkey (Icmeler). Even more so in Kenya. We had trouble finding milk in any shop there at a 'resort' in Malindi.

However, at my now advanced years, I don't think I would be prepared to 'rough it' as much as I did when I was younger.

Maisie

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
I read that the teaching unions have demanded a pay rise and the education minister Nadhim whatnot started the ball rolling with a starting offer of 9% to which the unions said 12% or a strike ballot will follow.
Did anyone explain to him that when you are playing with the tax payers money and every other union is watching, he might have started lower and adopted a poker player attitude.
If he goes to 12%, they will want 14% and the other unions will pitch in accordingly.
The NHS workforce, recently handed 3% and represented in the main by Unison, will be upping the ante shortly.

Last edited:

enoch

UK Cost of Living
I read that the teaching unions have demanded a pay rise and the education minister Nadhim whatnot started the ball rolling with a starting offer of 9% to which the unions said 12% or a strike ballot will follow.
Did anyone explain to him that when you are playing with the tax payers money and every other union is watching, he might have started lower and adopted a poker player attitude.
If he goes to 12%, they will want 14% and the other unions will pitch in accordingly.
The NHS workforce, recently handed 3% and represented in the main by Unison, will be upping the ante shortly.
Pay rise but no holiday pay they don't do so bad the pensions they get without paying the full wack like some normal workers.

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
Pay rise but no holiday pay they don't do so bad the pensions they get without paying the full wack like some normal workers.
We have friends who are teachers and while I do appreciate their efforts and going the extra mile at times, they have never turned up for work at 6am, 2pm or 10pm for 8 hours including weekends and the 12 weeks a year not at work isn't a bad result. A 9% rise on that basis would have been a good result. Much better than the NHS current insult?
Btw- the NHS for all its faults, works 24/7 365 days a year. Teaching doesn't get near.

enoch

UK Cost of Living
We have friends who are teachers and while I do appreciate their efforts and going the extra mile at times, they have never turned up for work at 6am, 2pm or 10pm for 8 hours including weekends and the 12 weeks a year not at work isn't a bad result. A 9% rise on that basis would have been a good result. Much better than the NHS current insult?
Btw- the NHS for all its faults, works 24/7 365 days a year. Teaching doesn't get near.
My son used to be a maths teacher. A wast with a 96% first class honours degree. He always said half of them should find a new job for what they are more suited.

Hilsjw

UK Cost of Living
Our daughter in law is a Primary school teacher. The hours she has to work at home are horrendous. When we are there and go to bed, she has to stay up to do various school things. Even when school children are at home sick she has to video. Years ago, children came back to school after being away and just had to catch up. She doesn't arrive home until after 6.00, so her own children have to be looked after by a child minder, and that costs lots ! Teaching is no easy job these days, that's for sure.

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
However, there are a lot of people out there who work shifts, weekends and have 4 weeks holiday a year.
They would no doubt love to be arriving home at 6pm and being offered a 9% pay rise?
Some are still on zero hour contracts, with no pay rises, just waiting for a phone call on an evening to tell them if they are required to work the next day.

Kanga

UK Cost of Living
If you can read or write this, thank your teacher.

Akasya

Postless Pointer
UK Cost of Living
Same for self could do both disciplines before starting school , it must have been ma that taught me , but sadly i remember not , thanks mum .
In my capacity of branch chairman some guys at work were allowed to show me letters from the employer and i would reply , non comittally in their name ( mckenzie friend ) type of thing . I never ceased to be amazed how many upright hard working guys could not master said abilities .
Steve

enoch

UK Cost of Living
I was the eldest of 3. My mum taught me to read & write before I started school. She soon learned that it was a mistake, as I got ignored by the teacher. She didn't make such an effort with my sister's
We got told to stop learning them because we teach them a different way. That was water off a ducks back.

Mushroom

UK Cost of Living
The legal daughter has just shown me an article from Martin Lewis regarding the next round of energy rises and it's a shocker.
Meanwhile up here in Cumbria the local Labour MP was interviewed on BBC yesterday.
He was asked if he would be opposing a proposed new coal mine in the area and his reply was that to achieve the carbon neutral status, it would be hypocritical to support a coal mine.
Wait til his constituents get their 2023 fuel bill predictions?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom