Mushtaq

Founding Member
Ubuntu - anyone using it?
I downloaded Ubuntu the other day to test it out on an old pc that was not being used, and I was very pleasantly surprised the installation was quick and simple and amazingly the whole thing worked after booting up, the only thing I had a little problem with was playing music, the codecs were removed recently because of some copyright issue and you have to download them manually (all done through the application update system)

After getting a good result with a pc, I thought I'll try my luck on an old laptop, this again worked flawlessly, even the wireless connection worked without any add-ons and driver hunting, which is usually what I have to do when installing Windows on any pc.

I think Linux is finally coming together and about time too.

Martyn

I loaded 8.0.41 it on my Macbook Parallels VM a while ago but haven't got around to using it. Will have a play soon. :nerd:

Mushtaq

Founding Member
I downloaded 9.04.d it's the 1st one I have tried after many years, I didn't get on with the command line stuff as that was a step back in my opinion and too geeky even for me.

The new version is all graphical and works really well.

I find that a lot of people mainly use the net for most of their PC activity and something based on Ubuntu would work well without the hassle of Microsoft bugs and viruses.

There is even an education pack for young kids can be downloaded, which has all sort of educational games and activities for pre-school upwards.

Martyn

Downloading it now thanks. Probably will be good for these new net books.

Terry

Has anyone tried Linux recently as it is much better now and no more blessed microsoft rubbish that persists nearly every day when surfing. Linux rules....I think.
Hey what's your thoughts on Opera also?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom