Question for you

Chasey

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Ok, I was going to bring my car from the U.K. to Turkey. I found a shipping firm that would do it for less than £600 to Izmir

now the big problem, as I arrived in Turkey in November 2020 I would have to leave Turkey for 180 days just to bring my car into the country. The logis are a nightmare!

But is two years now for people with residency permits

Or do you mean after two years (I think you do on re reading it)

Note you only have to leave for 180 days within a 12 month period and this only matters if you intend on bringing the car back in.

Our plan was two years out there in a car registered in my wife name then come home and swap to a car in my name and drive back.

Last edited:

Chasey

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Assuming you would like to bring a car over from the United Kingdom, would you be able to drive it in Turkey? Are there any restrictions that you should be aware of?

Yes of course you can drive it I have had my UK car here for nine months now

Problem is insurance, which is third party only so your driving totally at your own repair / write off risk

Next problem is MOT as you need to have one, but my car is new, so not an issue for two more years

On entering Turkey you must report your car's presence to Customs within 90 days

If you leave the country without your car, you must inform customs in writing before you go. Make damed sure you get proof of receipt as we were screwed over this and ended up paying a £1000 fine despite having informed them. Ill do a report on this in detail later but its a trap they set to get money out of you.

On the other hand, friends (more than one) have been here with their cars for a long time and never informed anyone or reported anything. One recently left Turkey in their car after best part of a year in Turkey. He just drove out.

Problem is this is luck of the draw. A bit like going through the green lane at customs with 1000 fags in your back pac. and god know what would happen if he had had a crash

Aside from that, just drive the car

enoch

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Ok, I was going to bring my car from the U.K. to Turkey. I found a shipping firm that would do it for less than £600 to Izmir

now the big problem, as I arrived in Turkey in November 2020 I would have to leave Turkey for 180 days just to bring my car into the country. The logis are a nightmare!
Are you retired? I think the 180 days don't apply if you are retired 65+, but I could be wrong. Have you read all the information on Doc Martins?

Last edited:

Chasey

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Are you retired? I think the 180 days don't apply if you are retired 65+, but I could wrong. Have you read all the information on Doc Martins?

whilst I am retired I was only 56 on entering the country so not on a state pension.

MJL

U.K. Car in Turkey?
But is two years now for people with residency permits

Or do you mean after two years (I think you do on re reading it)

Note you only have to leave for 180 days within a 12 month period and this only matters if you intend on bringing the car back in.

Our plan was two years out there in a car registered in my wife name then come home and swap to a car in my name and drive back.
Yes, you can have a U.K. registered car in Turkey for two years, but if you’ve already been here for more than 6 months without the car you have to physically leave Turkey for 6 months then to bring the car here (very complicated I know). Also only The registered owner can drive the car.

after talking to multiple people here that deal with legal matters I gave up and sold my car.

also to drive on a U.K. license you have to leave and re enter Turkey every 6 months, a day trip to Greece or Bulgaria is enough, you just need a exit and re entry stamp in your passport

I need to win big on the lottery just to buy a Turkish car now! Prices are ridiculous! Was reading the other day because of the massive tax rise, sales on cars in Turkey have gone down by 33%. A car I was looking at last year new was 120,000tl the same car now is over 300,000tl

MJL

U.K. Car in Turkey?
What is the name of the shipping firm?
here is the firm, they get back to you very quickly with a quote. My dacia sandero was quoted under £600. But!!! A big but! To ship rather than drive you have to have the cars purchase receipt! I totally understand this as it’s to stop stolen cars being moved abroad.

Chasey

U.K. Car in Turkey?
So did you fall foul of the 180 days? They didn't class you as retired until you are 65

?? No after 2 years The car has to leave the country for 180 days. So for me that's July 2023

In theory, I also have to leave for 180 days but its not consecutive. In practice this doesn't really matter and just the car has to be out of the country. Personally, I wouldn't try to bring the same car back in as that could cause an issue.

Chasey

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Honestly it was so stressful I gave up

I couldn't afford £100,000+ for a new car in Turkey and I didn't want to buy a shit car for £50,000 so for me the stress was worth it.

IF your not here for a significant portion of the year, then simply rent a car.

IF you'r rich enough and like us staying here for 48weeks of the year, buy a car in Turkey

If the above do not apply, bringing in a car is a solution and the stress is all based on lack of understanding of the system. We have made mistakes (like trusting customs officers to be honest people) but despite the fine and the hassle, there's no doubt for us it was the right thing to bring the car in. Some people are happy driving any old crap car and that's just fine. But I worked hard for my retirement and one of my personal pleasures in life is a decent car.

I have a friend who spent well over 100K on a ring???? I just don't get that

I have another who just spent 200K on a new Ferrari. I totally get that :)

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
U.K. Car in Turkey?
I just extended the warranty on our Dacia Duster as it only has 9500 miles on it after 3 years, when reading the terms and conditions it was apparent that Turkey was excluded, is that the same for other brands ?

MJL

U.K. Car in Turkey?
I just extended the warranty on our Dacia Duster as it only has 9500 miles on it after 3 years, when reading the terms and conditions it was apparent that Turkey was excluded, is that the same for other brands ?
Not sure, they are very funny over here on cars, but after seeing more car accidents in Turkey in 12 months than I’ve seen in over 40years in the U.K. I couldn’t really blame the car company

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
U.K. Car in Turkey?
Not sure, they are very funny over here on cars, but after seeing more car accidents in Turkey in 12 months than I’ve seen in over 40years in the U.K. I couldn’t really blame the car company
I don't think accidents are covered by manufacturers warranty anywhere, if I drive my UK fully warranted Dacia to Turkey then it isn't covered if it breaks down. The question is are other brands covered or not ?

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
U.K. Car in Turkey?
From the warranty document.

GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE The Warranty applies to any vehicle sold new in the United Kingdom as long as it is driven and remains registered in the following European countries: UNITED KINGDOM - ANDORRA - AUSTRIA - BELGIUM - BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA - BULGARIA - CROATIA - CYRPUS - CZECH REPUBLIC - DENMARK - ESTONIA - FINLAND - FRANCE - GERMANY - GREECE - HUNGARY - ICELAND - IRELAND - ITALY - LATVIA - LICHTENSTEIN - LITHUANIA - LUXEMBOURG - MACEDONIA - MALTA - MONACO - NORWAY - NETHERLANDS - POLAND - PORTUGAL - ROMANIA - SAN MARINO - SEBIA MONTENEGRO - SLOVAKIA - SLOVENIA - SPAIN - SWEDEN - SWITZERLAND If the vehicle is registered in one of the countries inside the geographic zone (detailed above) other than the United Kingdom, the warranty of the country of first registration will be applicable. If a Vehicle is likely to be principally used or registered outside the geographic zone detailed above, the Customer cannot benefit from the Warranty and the Warranty will be invalid. Please contact your nearest Dacia Dealer for advice in these circumstances. Outside the country of purchase, the Warranty will be valid under the same conditions as in the country of origin as long as the Vehicle is driven and remains registered within the geographic zone covered by the Warranty set out above.

Bramidan

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Similar to my car recovery/breakdown cover, I’m covered in Europe and Northern Turkey which they say is Europe. Once passed Istanbul no longer Europe so it’s down to the individual.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom