Question for you

GBH1962

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Hi all,I'm living part of my life here in Alacati but missing a car even though I use the bus whenever possible.So looking at the prices of cars here is unbelievable so thinking of bringing an old one over from the Uk as a last resort and we have a car ferry very close in Cesme and the Greek island of Chios also very close. I've been informed about the vehicle having to leave for 180 days every 2 years and Chios would be an obvious destination being so close and before I go over and check it out I wondered if anyone could enlighten me further with any tips and experiences. Happy New Year to all members

enoch

Top Poster Of Month
U.K. Car in Turkey?
Hi all,I'm living part of my life here in Alacati but missing a car even though I use the bus whenever possible.So looking at the prices of cars here is unbelievable so thinking of bringing an old one over from the Uk as a last resort and we have a car ferry very close in Cesme and the Greek island of Chios also very close. I've been informed about the vehicle having to leave for 180 days every 2 years and Chios would be an obvious destination being so close and before I go over and check it out I wondered if anyone could enlighten me further with any tips and experiences. Happy New Year to all members
Chasey has just done this gone through it all recently. Give a lot of information but forgot the post name.
A UK car in turkey storey so far

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
U.K. Car in Turkey?

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
U.K. Car in Turkey?
It is a huge amount of hassle, bite the bullet buy local. If is has problems no-one wants to know a right hand drive. Someone I know just had his UK car repaired and the mechanic did not want to take it for a test drive as it is RHD. You need to return to customs each time your residence is due. My friend was stopped by the traffic police and they wanted to impound the car as he had not been back to customs after getting his STRP. Don't do it! He can't wait to get his out of the country.

GBH1962

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Well the car ferry goes there and it's so close it would be perfect as buying in Turkey is not an option although I did think about a UTV

GBH1962

U.K. Car in Turkey?
The UTV price has gone up quite dramatically in time I was away but they are a more affordable option or at least they were

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
U.K. Car in Turkey?
The UTV price has gone up quite dramatically in time I was away but they are a more affordable option or at least they were
Have the UTV prices gone up if you convert to sterling at the appropriate rates?

GBH1962

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Yes they trebled unfortunately from about Jan 21 to Sept 21 I was seriously thinking about buying a ZForce 550 ex,2nd hand was about £3500 now about £10000 for the same thing

Chasey

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Well I paid 35,000 for my new Skoda Kodiaqin the UK and at that time (its gone up since) it would of cost me £100,000 to buy the same car in Turkey

So in my book, the £65,000 saved is worth a bit of hassell

So far so good, had the car here since July 2021 and getting it reinsured this month to extend the stay till July when my residency permit is up for renewal

Customs office were simple to deal with due to the fact we had a Turkish local helping us. In fact, they said to bring the car back with a fresh residency permit in July and they will grant another two years' stay??

Not saying this will happen but it's what we were told on our last visit.

Zero problems with the Police so far, we seem to get waved past every checkpoint.

The car is registered in my wife name

After two years the car has to leave the country for minimum 6 months

Plan is to drive it home June 2023 and return in my car registered in my name in September and start again.

Under the rules, the car AND the owner has to leave for six months before re entry. Point is the second car isn't hers, so I am bringing it over in my name and she can drive it as a family member.

My car is a Range rover 4.4TDV8

How much are they in Turkey :)

Rua

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Are the ferries up and running again? I thought they had stopped them with the outbreak of Covid 19.
There is a ferry between Izmir and Libya though .

Rua

U.K. Car in Turkey?
Chasey your car is probably about 3 million Lira to purchase here.Quite a few on the roads in Izmir.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom