U.K. Asylum seekers another moan
Red Doors Make Asylum Seekers A Target

Asylum seekers' homes are being targeted because their doors have been painted red in a practice an MP says is reminiscent of Nazi Germany.

The red doors have prompted attacks including stones and eggs thrown at windows, smeared excrement, and scratched National Front symbols in the wood.

The properties, in a deprived area of Middlesbrough, characterised by boarded up and abandoned terraced homes, are owned by Stuart Monk, who is paid millions by the Government to help house refugees.

:: PM: We Must Do More For Syrian Refugees

Mr Monk owns the "urban regeneration" firm Jomast, which is subcontracted to provide housing by security firm G4S, which lost its contract for prisoner tagging after overcharging for services.

The security firm says there is no policy of painting refugees' doors red and it is not unusual for a company refurbishing a number of homes to use the same paint.

However, the consistent use of red has made refugees a target.

One man living behind one of the properties told the Times newspaper, which highlighted the issue: "They put us behind red doors. When people see them, everyone knows it means asylum seekers.

"It's like saying we’re not the same as you."

The Times identified 168 Jomast houses in one of the city’s poorest areas and discovered 155 had red doors. The newspaper knocked on 66 of the red-door homes and found asylum seekers housed at 62 of them.

Kiflemariam Tekle Muhur, 26, from Eritrea, has been living in a Jomast home in Middlesbrough since September and says he has been treated well, although an egg has been thrown at the wall. He lives with another Eritrean and two Syrians.

Shadow transport minister and Middlesbrough MP Andy McDonald said the practice was "reprehensible" and that it "reminds you of Germany in the 1930s".

He claimed the issue had been raised two years ago but that G4S had done nothing.

Former shadow business secretary Chuka Umunna tweeted: "If, following the Home Office audit, these claims are proven, this story is a scar on our country. Appalling."

Mr Monk, managing director of Jomast, said: "Our accommodation is inspected frequently by the Home Office and has been found to meet or exceed the required standards.

"As many landlords will attest, paint is bought in bulk for use across all properties.

"It is ludicrous to suggest that this constitutes any form of discrimination, and offensive to make comparisons to a policy of apartheid in Nazi Germany.

"However we have agreed to repaint doors in a range of colours after these concerns were brought to our attention."

Immigration Minister James Brokenshire said: "I am deeply concerned by this issue and I have commissioned Home Office officials to conduct an urgent audit of asylum seeker housing in the North East.

"I expect the highest standards from our contractors. If we find any evidence of discrimination against asylum seekers it will be dealt with immediately as any such behaviour will not be tolerated."

Last edited by a moderator:

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
Asylum Seekers in Middlesbrough say they feel 'less than human' and some cry themselves to sleep because G4S paints their front doors red.

That's Middlesbrough for you. The slightest thing can make you wish you were back in a war zone.

Firefox

Jesus Loves You
Let's have all yaw racist out today,

Not long ago the Nazi used to go round painting blue Stars of David on Jewish residence doors.
This is a load of BS, this happens in the UK crap areas all the time, the marks are put there and shared by gangs to show which houses are a soft target target to break in to.

Last edited:

Sha Hoorsur

You tell them Foxy me old sausage!
There’s no point in letting the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

Spurs

Spurs
How very apt from the Rolling Stones.

"Paint It Black"

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colours any more, I want them to turn black
I see the girls walk by, dressed in their summer clothes
I have to turn my head until my darkness goes

Spurs

Spurs
If the only worry in this life is the colour of your front door, then life is good.
I remember a Turkish guy who had moved to the UK telling me he got nicked for no TV licence...........he couldn't believe he had to have one. He also told me he loved Greggs sausage rolls............who am I to tell him what's in them?
Enjoy your TV, enjoy your sausage rolls & be grateful you've even got a front door.

Higgy

Higgy
A bit like all the Turkish Hire Cars having a recognisable Number Plate.

I would have thought the refugees would have moaned about the smoke as it
is called Smoggies due to all the factories.

But there again when the news reports shows the refugees/immigrants on their
walk about to Europe they all have a tab in one hand and a Moblile Phone in the other,
Ahhh bless em.

bigalant

Business needs cheap labour .
We working class or middle class must feed them .
Better to give than receive .

Spurs

Spurs
Business needs cheap labour .
We working class or middle class must feed them .
Better to give than receive .

At the moment Europe is giving & receiving, I think it will be like that for the next few years.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom