Mushtaq

Administrator
Two die, eight injured after flash flood in touristic canyon in Muğla
Two people died and eight were injured July 20 after being trapped inside the Saklıkent Canyon in the southwestern province of Muğla due to intense flooding, with the mayor describing the deaths as “fate.”

Some 46 tourists visiting the canyon on July 20 when they were caught by a sudden torrential rain. One of the tourists, later identified as Ozan Genç, was killed after being smashed into rocks by the force of the flood waters that inundated the canyon. A witness said Genç was experiencing heart failure when he was pulled from the water and died at hospital even though medics had initially succeeded in resuscitating him.

VIDEO: Two die, eight injured after flash flood in touristic canyon in Mu?la - LOCAL

Carolyn

Saklikent Gorge is local to us and a great place to go and cool off so it is a real shock to us.

The mayor who described the accident as fate is probably the recently elected AK party Belidiye Baskani of our town, Seydikemer.

Kalkan regular

The Golden Girls
Such a tragedy. Family members walked up the gorge earlier this year when you might expect high waters but at this time of year it's a shock.

tosmur

So sad. RIP my thoughts are with their families and friends at this time for their sad loss.

tintagel

Two people died and eight were injured July 20 after being trapped inside the Saklıkent Canyon in the southwestern province of Muğla due to intense flooding, with the mayor describing the deaths as “fate.”

Some 46 tourists visiting the canyon on July 20 when they were caught by a sudden torrential rain. One of the tourists, later identified as Ozan Genç, was killed after being smashed into rocks by the force of the flood waters that inundated the canyon. A witness said Genç was experiencing heart failure when he was pulled from the water and died at hospital even though medics had initially succeeded in resuscitating him.

VIDEO: Two die, eight injured after flash flood in touristic canyon in Mu?la - LOCAL

I doubt the Mayors words will be of any comfort to the families who've lost their loved ones! Would have been more sensitive to have thanked God it wasn't his family's loss/fate.....

oldfogy

Just passing through
A truly devastating thing to happen and especially in such a confined place with only one way out along the planks/walkway.

I wonder if they were washed away from the walkway trying to get out or were the rafts/seating are flooded.

But still it must have been one heck of a downfall to come down that fast.

Carolyn

I think they got trapped up in the Gorge Old Fogy.

The last time we took visitors up into the Gorge in May 2011 the crossing of the river before you go into the Gorge was dangerous. They had removed the grab rope and people were getting knocked off their feet. Fortunately because there were plenty of people around there was nothing worse than a few minor cuts and bruises.

This tragedy happened because of flash flooding following localised thunderstorms on Sunday afternoon.

oldfogy

Just passing through
I'm not trying to make light of it, but the first time of going there we had no such thing as grab ropes and had to form a human chain.
(I did notice the ropes in one of the earlier pictures)

The enclose picture was taken many years ago, but as you can see not only was the water fairly low, freezing cold (as usual) but still very fast.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom