Status
Not open for further replies.

de1amo

turks loss of properties to greeks
My wife's grandparents were compelled to leave the island of Kos when there was some form of ethnic cleansing where the Turkish Greeks were repatriated leaving behind all their homes and lands- there was no compensation or new life waiting for them in Turkey-(the story of the English couple in Northern Cyprus bought this matter to my mind)- what do you know about this time and think the chances would be if turkey joined the eu of getting compensation-

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Actually wasn't it that Turks that wanted to stay had to get Greek citizenships? I was in Kos and there are many Turks living there and this is how they explained it to me. Many have relatives in Turgutreis/Bodrum. Just my take on it is all.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

teosgirl

I think it was an agreement made between Turkey and Greece, after Turkey won the war?

Turkey and Greece agreed to a population exchange, when Ataturk allowed Greece to maintain control of the Islands (I don't think this was a popular decision) that's why kayakoy is known as a ghost village, it was a greek town, the residents of which were exchanged with Turk Islanders, although the Turks chose not to live there.

That's how I understood it, but I could be simplifying it too much.

What happened in Cyprus was different as no agreement was reached until now.
I don't think your wives parents would have a claim, though you never know, they should speak to a lawyer I guess.

Charlotte

de1amo

That sounds plausible but turks are muslims and would they not have to change faith in the switch to being Greek--on my holidays in Greece i never spied any mosques! most of the greek isles culture is linked to the turks so they permeate.

My wifes grandparents and her parents were all born on the greek isles so this is quite recent-its all very vaguely outlined to me because it was a very distressful time for all of them--the deal was done between the governments i sense--the greek government gave the in laws property and lands to their people-maybe the people who went the other 'way, by leaving turkish lands- if that happened??-i sense they didnt get much in the way of compensation on 'landing'-i cant say returning because they never originated in Turkey.

teosgirl your mail beat my reply!!--i will take that info and make enquiries with the wife--i dont sense her grandparents were offered much on their return though--if the deal was fair the greeks should have paid for the lands instead of just having them for free--i feel this is the sort of issue in the modern european union that should be explored and rectified-Greece has been a big winner from eu money whilst people like my in laws have been badly done by--i dont like injustices no matter how long ago they are--the french jump up and down about armenia as an injustice but in all the history books, at the time and the enquiry that took place after- there was deemed to be no injustice--but years after the eu members are fighting for justice!!

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
As i understand it the lands belonged to Turkey in the first place , and therefor they sent the Turkish home , i very much doubt there'd be any compensation , But of course i could be wrong , ........Diane

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
To get a brief explanation about what happened with the population exchanges of 1923 between Turkey and Greece take a look at this

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lausanne]Treaty of Lausanne - Wikipedia[/ame]

ABAG

3 British housewives are sueing Turkey/TRNC through the American courts aided by the Tsimpedes Law Firm Washington DC.,for the crimes they have suffered at the hands of the North Cyprus Regime over the past 6 years. They and thousands of others have paid Millions of pounds sterling for properties that they haven't got and were never designed to get. They and 1000's of others were led to believe that the land belonged to the vendor, after all who would question a Warwick University trained Lawyer and a Land Registry Office ? Was it a scam from the start - the American courts will soon uncover the truth when the bank accounts are opened under US Law !

The women have proved there is no enforceable legal system in the TRNC so therefore will be launching a lawsuit in Washington DC against Turkey for their losses to those in the TRNC. This action is not just open to victims if AGA DEVELOPMENT but anyone who has been allegedly scammed or suffered crimes at the hands of the North Cyprus regime and its associates, no matter what nationality, creed or culture !

To join us See blog for AGA BUYERS ACTION GROUP

Peregrine

To join us See blog for AGA BUYERS ACTION GROUP

controversial first post - come on ABAG tell us who you are and where you are form (bit like Blind Date innit)

as for buying property in TRNC, personally, I would (knowing there was an issue about ownership, or likely to be) have taken out some insurance. Especially if I was spending millions. And if insurance wasnt available at a reasonable price? I would have walked away

some people just dont think it through enough, then complain when it goes wrong

teosgirl

I'm quite familiar with the AGA group.

I don't know how you can blame the TRNC authorities for What Mr Gary Robb did (A British Citizen) He's the criminal (didn't he flee the Island?) and as peregrine said, if the customers of AGA didn't look into things carefully enough then they have to shoulder some responsibility. I remember that many Turk Cypriots warned some AGA customers about purchasing, but those customers assumed it was anti British feeling/jeaously.

This property dispute will never be resolved because of the south of Cyprus, they gave up the Annan agreement, voted against peace. They will settle for nothing less than total ownership of the Island which is the same objective as 40 years ago, when they started ethnically cleansing the TC's from the Island.

Until total political peace is acheived there will be no chance for AGA buyers or any other buyers who have lost money in the TRNC.

Charlotte

ABAG

Have to dosagree with you Charlotte. AGA is a TRNC Registered Co., with 5 directors of which one is British. In 2003 he was well hidden by the TC's/Unwins Estate Agent and not searchable on the then very early www as far as TRNC was concerned. His name doesn't appear on our contracts.

Why do we blame the regime. We followed their advice to the letter as regards their PHONEY property complaints office and their non existant legal system which is geared toward the criminal. We have written proof of the administration/regime corruption some of which can be seen here:-

LOOK AT FEBRUARY 2ND O8 ON THE BLOG -we cannot ppst the link here as we are not allowed -

LATCHFORDSPACESLIVE DOT COM FORWARD SLASH BLOG

They got involved and responsible once they paid OUR money into THEIR private accounts !!! Corruption at the highest level !!!!!!!!!

ABAG

ChrisBobs

Back to the topic !!

If you read further about the Exchange of Populations [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_of_populations_between_Greece_and_Turkey]Population exchange between Greece and Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
( this entry written by an aggrieved Greek do you guess? )

the agreement is defined as internationally de jure and 'backed by international guarantees'
so the legalities where covered, and the chance of shaking down Turkey or Greece for this - yes very sad time in history, must be nil.

As Superbogs says, there are many people in Bodrum and in Kos who are related, there are Turks still in Kos and I believe in Rhodes.

Don't forget that at the time of the partition of the remnants of the Ottoman Empire, Italy had controlled the Dodecanese islands, and Greek independence demanded them back.

teosgirl

ABAG,

Gary Robb owned the contruction company AGA , Your propaganda makes it sound like a government owned company.

Wasn't the land that Amaranta was to be built on exchanged land?
Isn't it a fact that exchanged land and properties had a lower market value? Didn't any of your customers wonder why that was/is?
Probably they were looking for a bargain and they gambled?
I lived in the TRNC, so please don't try to tell me how it is over there, lots of expats live happily in the TRNC because they chose not to take any risks.

Sorry to go off topic, but had to reply,

Charlotte

ABAG

Gary Robb was NOT the sole director or sole shareholder in AGA. He was a TRNC Citizen at the time.

Properties at Amarana were far from cheap compared to other development in TRNC - £120000 for a small 3 bed bungalow with no garage is not cheap !

The arguement is that the Government paid our monies into the private accounts of the civil servants who worked for the then housing minister in order to hide it....why ? we have this in writing (we were cpied into an email by mistake) and it can be seen on our blog. This makes the TRNC Gov RESPONSIBLE for a great deal of British money !

We want to know where it is and we want it back - simplezzzzzzzzz

teosgirl

Here's a clip from a Cypriot newspaper:

Several years after settling in the north, Robb acquired infamy when he appeared in the BBC documentary ‘Kenyon Confronts’ about the north’s growing status as a haven for British criminals escaping justice in the UK, made possible by the absence of an extradition agreement.

In the programme Robb tells British audiences, “The lads here are serious charges, I mean mega-serious, multiple murders, big drugs. If they deported all the drug dealers from here there’d be no one left on the island”.

By then Robb had managed to acquire citizenship of the breakaway ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’ (‘TRNC’), thereby making his extradition yet harder, as the ‘TRNC’ does not extradite its citizens to any country.

Robb then appeared to choose the relatively legal pursuit of selling real estate in the north and set up AGA Developments, a company that invested in occupied Greek Cypriot properties bought on the cheap and then developed for sale to Brits looking for holiday homes in the sun.

His company grew rapidly and soon AGA announced the start of what he called the Amaranta project. This involved 500 properties built into a valley close to the village of Klepini in Kyrenia district.

But soon things turned sour as his company failed to meet building deadlines, was accused of defrauding the tax offices and of defrauding clients. Rob was also stripped of his ‘TRNC’ citizenship when officials discovered he had lied about completing national service in Britain – something that had exempted him from having to do military service there.

To make matters worse for Robb, Interpol announced in May 2005 it had issued an arrest warrant for him and a number of his business associates because of their dealings in illegally expropriated Greek Cypriot properties.

I think your pressure group is so angry that they're willing to blame anyone. That property looked like a bargain at the time, and they didn't care whether or not it was exchanged land or not, even though everyone on the Island knew it wasn't 100% safe! That's why it was significantly cheaper than pre 1974 Turkish kocan.

I think you have derailed this thread enough, and I won't be replying again, but hopefully people will look into these matters (if they are interested) and decide for themselves.

Charlotte

ABAG

This came out in June 2005 - AGA started selling in 2003 and Robb wasnt mentioned on any contract or in any sales patter from Unwins. Robb only came to light when this programme was aired 2 years after the event for us ! The fact of the matter is that the TRNC Gov have stolen British money - thats a simple enough answer and its not really off topic is it considering what they have been are are still up to as far a Property investors are concerned. Look at the blog, you can see thae sales brichures from Unwins - certainly not cheap !

tommydun

Anyone who has brought property in TRNC must have known it was risk, you cannot fly directly to the island from any country except Turkey, it is not recognised by the UN, and has been know as a haven for criminals. A minimum of research would show massive warning signs about buying property there.
So have little sympathy for people who brought there, the chances of them getting compensation from Turkey or anyone else is about 0.1% but it might make some money for the lawyers.

ABAG

What has to be remembered is that we were dealing with lawyers who were trained in the UK, we were dealing with an established Estate Agent and in 2003 not many households had internet (ours being one). We asked many questions to many people, but were told that it was exchange land and that the company had been building for many years. We were shown many other properties built by them and spoke to those living within them. We were shown papers by our lawyers and the agents that were supposedly legal docs that were land ownership. The FCO website at the time had different advice and wasnt update till 2004 ish and a list of recommended lawyers (99.9 % of them were removed when things came to light). Why would we not believe them. Buying abroad is a gamble, yes, but you do not expect a government to allegedly steal your money and hide it do you ?

tommydun

Even in 2003 you must have know it was risky when you were buying. If the gamble had worked out, you would have got a nice home at a much cheaper price then in the offically recognised country cyprus, but it did not work and you lost money.
If I bet on a horse and it loses I have to accept my losses, same with TRNC.

I think you will waste more money, if you spend even more money on lawyers trying to get compensation.

ABAG

"Buying abroad is a gamble, yes, but you do not expect a government to allegedly steal your money and hide it do you ?"

£120,000 is not cheap for a small 3 bed villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom