labman

Turkish Word of the Day?
Hi all,

I'm just thinking out loud so please excuse me if I'm suggesting a rubbish idea!! I read the forum every day and its quite addictive, words are easier to remember when written, we all know Tapu & Irtifaki for a start!!

Could someone who knows Turkish put a "Word of the day" on a post with a phonetic spelling so those who read it can say the word as well (I always feel stupid trying to say some of the Turkish words and whilst its fun for those who are listening its also lends itself to me feeling a bit dull!)

Those who want to participate could just re-type the word to acknowledge and given that it would only be 1 word a day there would be most chance of my brain taking it in! It could be like an online TLF School of Leaning! who knows we might even reach the dizzy heights of a sentence at some point!

Anyone think its a good idea? Anyone who could step forward and put the word on? or am I just waffling on!

LM

GnD

Turkish Word of the Day?
?? Learn a Turkish Word a Day - Turkish Living Forums ??

Shirley has many many many threads with phonetic spellings for all of us regardless of level; Mushtaq recognized the genuine Need & Value by creating the language section. Why have another??

I do feel she is not appreciated anywhere near enough. It's quality here and far more colloquial than the books, believe me I would not be half as good without her input.

Ava

Turkish Word of the Day?
I think it's a good idea. Shirley’s lessons are fantastic (when I retire I plan to do all of these) but for those of us who do not have the time a word of the day is better than nothing. I struggle to recall the Turkish that I've learnt over the years of visiting (16+) whereas my family speak a fair amount. I have a stressful job and between visits I concentrate on calculations - the other side of the brain from language skills. It takes me two or three days into holidays to de-stress and not log into work emails, so it's not easy to tune into Turkish. A word a day, to me anyway, is like my 10 minutes in the morning when I play Sudoku or do a Crossword.

In fact this is the way that my son started to learn Turkish a word a day on our first holiday. I look on this as an aid to Shirley’s lessons not as opposed to Shirley’s lessons.

So Labman you have my vote.

Bring on the first word.

labman

Turkish Word of the Day?
I didn't know that Shirley had done these things because most don't go through all the menu's, so I appologise. (help me out here Shirley, I just thought a word a day would be good - I can't learn at a fast rate for time/brain reasons and this is the way I used to lean as a child)

Shirley - I should have said - can you do a "word of the day" for us? but didn't know better!! Sorry

LM

Turkish Word of the Day?
hi labman..dont worry...its ok.
i was doing one for a couple of years and had very little feedback apart from Nadine.even though the threads were read by hundreds! it was just a small core of members who gave me any encouragement.
i still do the occasional thread on the basic primer thread..but if you look although many are read theres little to say whether they approve or not ..and ive always said i would welcome any criticism bad or good.
İ do get pms from members asking me for help with their Turkish or for translations and strangely the members who do so never comment on my posts.
Having said that i really enjoy doing the posts..i wouldnt call them ''lessons ''
but if another member will take you up on doing a ''word a day'' its ok with me.

saffie

Saffie
Turkish Word of the Day?
I am fairly new to the forum and have to say I think Shirley's posts are amazingly good and extremely useful.

Once I manage to get a printer I plan to print them off and try to learn them during the winter.

Thanks Shirley for the valuable help you give freely.....you're a gem!!!

nanamo

Turkish Word of the Day?
I think a word a day is a brilliant idea because I just cant learn from books. I have to learn from actually seeing and hearing. I find trying to read through pages of info just doesnt sink in but I'm sure I could manage a word a day. At the moment I can only order two beers and two sprites and ask for the bill afterwards so any new word will be an improvement. How about starting with 'Thank you Shirley' okay three words. Molly

Last edited:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Turkish Word of the Day?
Hèhè....

I think this is a nice idea...
I know Shirley's lessons go a long way further then just the odd "word a day", but that might be a bit difficult for some of us
I can for myself honestly say that I have been putting a lot of energy and time in learning Turkish, and I still do, but I also like the idea of a word a day, because it is simple ...
I would like to contribute to it, but not a word a DAY, but a word a WEEK , I cannot see myself doing it everyday, I am a bit too busy for it

So, maybe other members would like to contribute as well ? It doesn't always have to be difficult, it can be very basic as well, depending on the level of the one who makes the contribution

Oh, yes, and Shirley could correct our mistakes.......

Pete&Mag

Turkish Word of the Day?
Hèhè....

I think this is a nice idea...
I know Shirley's lessons go a long way further then just the odd "word a day", but that might be a bit difficult for some of us
I can for myself honestly say that I have been putting a lot of energy and time in learning Turkish, and I still do, but I also like the idea of a word a day, because it is simple ...
I would like to contribute to it, but not a word a DAY, but a word a WEEK , I cannot see myself doing it everyday, I am a bit too busy for it

So, maybe other members would like to contribute as well ? It doesn't always have to be difficult, it can be very basic as well, depending on the level of the one who makes the contribution

Oh, yes, and Shirley could correct our mistakes.......

I too like the idea of a word a day. I'd better not contribute ,if Shirley were to correct our mistakes. She'd be spending all her time on that ! Pete

Turkish Word of the Day?
I too like the idea of a word a day. I'd better not contribute ,if Shirley were to correct our mistakes. She'd be spending all her time on that ! Pete
haha..not true..:humble:
i dont think anybody should be worried about making mistakes..its the only way we learn anything.
when i look back at my earlier ''word a day'' which was started in 2005 i can see glaring mistakes.
İn the lessons i do now in Alanya my ''pupils'' take great glee in seeing if ive left off a dot here and there.. its spot the dot or no dot.
i like the idea of a 'word a day' the trouble with that in Turkish is that a word needs to be explained with the possible endings it can carry.

and unlike when i was doing them alone it would be nice if it was a joint effort with all learners contributing.:grouphug:

labman

Turkish Word of the Day?
I would do it but only know Tapu and irtifaki!!! Maybe once a week is ok with the relative endings thrown in Shirley, what do you think, I'm flying out in a few hours time so will pick up the thread on some wifi bar!!

Cheers

LM

Last edited:

GnD

Turkish Word of the Day?
How about one word a day with three varying endings. That way everyone becomes quickly familiar with endings and what to add on when, along with learning the one new word.
ie;

Mutfak kitchen

Mutfakta in the kitchen

Mutfaktan from the kitchen

I don't mind doing one word a week and as I go if Shirley will scream when its wrong it should help me too?

Turkish Word of the Day?
great idea Debbie

mutfak can also take
mutfağa to kitchen
mutfağı the kitchen
mufağın the kitchen's

it can also take other endings...who's going to give it a go?

GnD

Turkish Word of the Day?
great idea Debbie

mutfak can also take
mutfağa to kitchen
mutfağı the kitchen
mufağın the kitchen's

it can also take other endings...who's going to give it a go?

Ha I now admit to being so lame as to avoid the kitchen etc with the whole k change to ğ , I WILL so be leaving all that to the ORACLE!

Debbie

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Turkish Word of the Day?
Lol Shirley,

Well, it was my intention to put endings to the words as well,
I mean simple writing : "mutfak = kitchen" and that's it, is a bit pointless

I think when people see the endings to one word, they will recognize those words more when they see them in text
(I would also include some of the possesive endings, I mean :
my kitchen = mutfağım etc....) or would that be to much ?

So, we are three already : you, me and G&D .......
if we still have one volunteer, then we have a word every second day of the week....

Turkish Word of the Day?
This is why I can never learn more than the 20 or so phrases I use regularly...verb endings, grammar aarghh!!! I will never learn Turkish :37:

Top Bottom