Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Turkish State Pension for Ex-Pats.
Yesterday saw me reach another milestone which I never thought about when I moved out here all those years ago.

I visited the SGK place in Manavgat 3 months ago to check out the contributions that had been paid in since I took my Turkish Citizenship back in 2000 as I've worked full-time ever since, taking the odd weeks out for holidays here and there.
The guy that dealt with me was super and asked me to return in October, at which time he would explain the 'fuller' picture as he put it.
Having been here so long, my response was "Which October?" to which he smiled, assuring that he meant October of this year.

So, yesterday, I returned and was dealt with the chap sitting beside the guy that spoke to me back in July.
He brought everything up on screen and the other chap said, "I remember you, congratulations!"
All necessary contributions were up-to-date and, better than that, there were no more to be paid!
The chap dealing with me ran some forms off the printer, I filled them in and gave them back to him. Those forms now go off to Antalya, I've been asked to return to the SGK place just 1 month from then to put my final signature on whatever's needed.
From as yesterday, I am now recognised as a fully fledged Turkish Pensioner, my first payment due one month from now, and each month thereafter for the rest of my life.
How good is that?:roundgrin
Not only was I happy, the guy that dealt with me was really happy to have done the work because he said that in his 18yrs working inside those offices, I was the 1st Ex-Pat of any nationality that he'd known qualify for State Pension here.
It was happy faces all round :roundgrin and it wasn't till I was back outside that I realised that I hadn't even asked how much I would receive but what the heck? The fact that I've qualified is marvelous because so many people over recent years seemed to think it would never happen.

You've got to be in it to win it as the saying goes, and I just stuck with the system and made the final hurdle. :roundgrin

Yesterday saw me reach another milestone which I never thought about when I moved out here all those years ago.

I visited the SGK place in Manavgat 3 months ago to check out the contributions that had been paid in since I took my Turkish Citizenship back in 2000 as I've worked full-time ever since, taking the odd weeks out for holidays here and there.
The guy that dealt with me was super and asked me to return in October, at which time he would explain the 'fuller' picture as he put it.
Having been here so long, my response was "Which October?" to which he smiled, assuring that he meant October of this year.

So, yesterday, I returned and was dealt with the chap sitting beside the guy that spoke to me back in July.
He brought everything up on screen and the other chap said, "I remember you, congratulations!"
All necessary contributions were up-to-date and, better than that, there were no more to be paid!
The chap dealing with me ran some forms off the printer, I filled them in and gave them back to him. Those forms now go off to Antalya, I've been asked to return to the SGK place just 1 month from then to put my final signature on whatever's needed.
From as yesterday, I am now recognised as a fully fledged Turkish Pensioner, my first payment due one month from now, and each month thereafter for the rest of my life.
How good is that?:roundgrin
Not only was I happy, the guy that dealt with me was really happy to have done the work because he said that in his 18yrs working inside those offices, I was the 1st Ex-Pat of any nationality that he'd known qualify for State Pension here.
It was happy faces all round :roundgrin and it wasn't till I was back outside that I realised that I hadn't even asked how much I would receive but what the heck? The fact that I've qualified is marvelous because so many people over recent years seemed to think it would never happen.

You've got to be in it to win it as the saying goes, and I just stuck with the system and made the final hurdle. :roundgrin

What a bang on story, it’s nice to see good news for a change.
I wish you well.

angelaturkey

Days On The Beach in Side
Well done Ann! Your patience and perserverance have paid off. Will you continue working? x Anggela in Side x

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
I have met a few Turkish pensioners who have told me they are forced to retire at a certain age, whether they want to or not. Two were police officers, who certainly did not want to retire, and another worked for Turkish Airlines.

So how much is the state pension?

Ian

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
Thanks to all of you that have followed up on this.

Ibrahim Abi makes a great point because throughout these 10 months of 2020 my monthly Bağkur Premium has been 947T.L.
That's actually more than all my basic monthly outgoings put together.

There are many reasons for people settling out here in Turkey. Maybe as VILLASUNDAY says, climate and economic day-to-day living count for a lot but, I just came because I loved the country as a whole, along with its people and the culture.

shash's comment reminded me of Queen's Freddy Mercury singing........
Time after time, I've paid my dues, etc, etc.

To any other TLF member on the same track I say, "Good luck, everything is possible if you give it your best."

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
As an aside, If a Turk came to the UK and worked for 11 years and paid into our system they could transfer it back into the Turkish system which would give them enough credit for the full Turkish Pension, The brother of a friend did just that, not sure you can still do that though.

The friend who had worked in Turkey for only a couple of years then came to the UK and did his working life here until retirement was entitled to a small Turkish Pension for those few years, he was encouraged to buy the credits which were relatively cheap and now receives a full State Turkish Pension.

Martin

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
The friend who had worked in Turkey for only a couple of years then came to the UK and did his working life here until retirement was entitled to a small Turkish Pension for those few years, he was encouraged to buy the credits which were relatively cheap and now receives a full State Turkish Pension.
As an aside to an aside, if any expats have not completed the required payments for a UK (Old Age) pension, you can buy the missing years at the rate they would have been. I did that and bought a few years to top it up to full pension. You can get an on-line statement setting out missing payments and the amounts to be paid.

Ian

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Top Poster Of Month
As an aside to an aside, if any expats have not completed the required payments for a UK (Old Age) pension, you can buy the missing years at the rate they would have been. I did that and bought a few years to top it up to full pension. You can get an on-line statement setting out missing payments and the amounts to be paid.

Ian

I called them about this as I retired early, I ticked the wrong box on one of my self assessments, the one where they deduct the NI from your tax allowance, I knew I had done it so was 1 year short but wanted to square the circle so to speak.
HMRC told me to carry on filing a self assessment as a sole trader as it was far cheaper than filing as an every day person, approximately £150 a year as opposed to £600 a year to buy the credits. ( I only took a pension just below the threshold, so nothing is due otherwise) I must check where I am up to, task for tomorrow.

Martin

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!
I remember telephoning the Pensions (and whatever it was called then?) Department in Britain back in 2009 before I put my paperwork into them as I was approaching my 60th birthday.
I called mainly because some of the documents they needed, e.g.marriage certificate,were in Turkish and I thought maybe I'd have to get them translated and notarised as in our 'Turkish' manner of things.
I spoke to a man, extremely helpful. Learned that there was no need to get anything translated as that would be done, free of charge, in Britain. He also assured me that all my documents would be returned to me by registered post and my 1st payment would go to my bank 28days after my 60th. birthday.

However. He also asked if I'd considered having my British and Turkish pensions linked, as being a Dual Citizen, that was also an option but from what I understood at the time, payments would be slightly higher, but would become payable on retirement in Turkey.
I opted to keep them separate and, as the man said, my British Pension started to go to my bank each month from the September of that year and all my documents arrived back in Turkey quite quickly.
All very efficient and very straightforward. That was 11 years ago if you think about it.

Maybe the systems changed now re' linking 2 pensions for Dual Citizens, I don't know but certainly the on-the-spot decision I made that day has worked well in my case.

Angela asks if I'll carry on working?
Well, I'm not a pilot, I'm not a policeman,and I'm not any of the other proffessionals that have to take retirement so, yes, I'll carry on working because I enjoy what I do. Having said that, Turkish Citizens that have to take retirement, often take up other work, but still collect their monthly State Pension.
I've decided to see this year through doing the 7 days each week that we've always done but, come 2021, I'll probably take a long weekend and just work 4 days.
That way, I can spend more time with my daughter and grandsons, maybe even take weekends away somewhere because there's endless places around Turkey where I've been in the past and it would be lovely to introduce my family to a little more Turkish History.
It's great to read the books but it's a different ballgame altogether to go there and see the reality of what remains here.
We were hippies during the 60's and early 70's. Nothing wrong with being an 'Old Hippy' is there? :hippie:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
If a Turkish man who is drawing his state pension dies, can his widow who has been a housewife continue to draw his pension, or does she get a pension of her own? Does anyone know?

enoch

If a Turkish man who is drawing his state pension dies, can his widow who has been a housewife continue to draw his pension, or does she get a pension of her own? Does anyone know?
She takes his pension and I have been told if she has paid her insurance gets that one as well. if she dies the daughter takes it if she is not married. But not the sons

Freedom 49

No fun if it's too easy!

This also applies to the women Ibrahim.
If the other women in our family are anything to go by, short of being written off in a road accident or something else equally awful, I could live another 20 years or more.

But, I'm told by the SGK people that should my only daughter choose not to marry, then she will inherit my Turkish Pension if she outlives me. :smile:
I think that's absolutely marvelous and I'm fairly certain that my British Pension will just fade away as and when I do. :(

Latest Posts

Top Bottom