hachris

Turkish SIM card in unlocked phones.
We had bought a Turkish SIM card when in Yalikavak but it refused to work in our Nokia phones which are unlocked and we had to use a borrowed Turkish cell phone. The card is a Hazir Kart from Turkcell. Prepaid cards work OK in the same phones in other countries.

We are going back now for 2 weeks and would like to sort it out so that we can use our regular phones. Any suggestions how to make it work?

HanaC.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
If they're phones that have been purchased outside of Turkey, you'll have to have them registered here before you can use a Turkish SIM in them. Whether they're "unlocked" for use with other countries cards doesn't matter.

You need to go to a Turkcell shop with your passport and it'll cost you 5 TL to have the phone registered for use with a Turkish SIM. Once that's done they're usually up and running within an hour or so.

This was introduced a couple of years ago by the government and service providers because of the number of black imports coming into Turkey.

Firebrand

It is a major pain. I did it recently and had to register it in a TurkCell shop, take my passport, queue up, pay a fee, etc. It will then stop working if you don't use it in Turkey for 6 months. You are only allowed one registered phone per yabanci passport. So what I don't know is what I will have to do when I go back to Turkey after 6 months.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
There is a rule in Turkey that only 1 imported phone can be registered per person per year. That applies to citizens and yabanci. Mind you, whether or not the rule is strictly enforced depends on who, when, where etc.

For further details see the FAQ on the Turkish Consulate website under MOBILE PHONES NEED TO BE REGISTERED FOR USE WITH SIM CARDS BOUGHT IN TURKEY

Turkish Consulate - Frequently asked questions

Last edited:

hachris

Thanks a lot for the useful information, we will take a trip to the shop where we have bought the card and hope for the best.

HanaC

teresa

Free Thinker
I had to show residency and also have a stamp in my passport that showed I had been out of the country within the last month, which I did not have. This was at the Fethiye Turkcell shops. I tried 2 shops and got the same response.

I had residency but had not been out of the country so in the end a friend registered it in his name. It was a pain to do but has been working ok since June, I just used my old sim card.

Valian

Let sleeping dogs lie
Teresa is spot on, your passport does have to show that you have entered Turkey no longer than 1 month ago, or your cannot register a phone.

However, 2 friends of mine who do not have residence permits had no problem registering theirs using just their passport, but I honestly can't remember if they had to show something with their address on or not.

Helenm150

It is a major pain. I did it recently and had to register it in a TurkCell shop, take my passport, queue up, pay a fee, etc. It will then stop working if you don't use it in Turkey for 6 months. You are only allowed one registered phone per yabanci passport. So what I don't know is what I will have to do when I go back to Turkey after 6 months.
I have registered 3 so far - one for Turkcell, one for Telsim - and one for a Turkish friend - there doesn't seem to be any limit on how many you can register to a British passport - I was surprised about this - do you think it is because I have a residents permit - would that make a difference?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom