Turkish Relationship/Divorce
Hi

Just wanted to ask when will i know if my relationship with a turkish man is serious?
Because my turkish boyfriend is going through a divorce
how long does it take?
as i have been going out with him for about a year now
and he wants me to live in turkey and buy a house.
what do you think of a turkish man asking me to buy a house?
i always believe that a turkish man provides for his wife because they make good husbands.
We have got engaged,how should we have celebrated this? Do they take engagments seriously?

Hi Chocolaterose and welcome to TLF .

Not knowing your personal circumstances its hard to comment really. But as you did ask can I say the fact that you asked such questions leads me to think that you have your own doubts and for that reason alone, I personally would keep all finances seperate and not buy any house just yet. Just rent for a while and see where that leads you.

hope that helps a little

Crystalclear

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Choclaterose: you have the writing style of a man, not a love-struck girl, and it resembles a post I saw here about a week ago. You should read back through the forum before you ask such vacuous questions - all the answers are there.

Ian

EVELYNNE

evelynne
What are you doing in a relationship with a man for a year who is married. Sorry , but are you the reason he is getting divorced. I hope he hasn;t any children.

sorry but homewrecker brings to mind, where are your and his morals.

oh and of course if he does have a wife and children he will be expected to provide for them and thats why he wants you to buy a house.

Lets face it, if you are thinking of marrying and starting a family, hes not goin g to be able to provide for both .

Eve

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
What are you doing in a relationship with a man for a year who is married. Sorry , but are you the reason he is getting divorced. I hope he hasn;t any children.

sorry but homewrecker brings to mind, where are your and his morals.

oh and of course if he does have a wife and children he will be expected to provide for them and thats why he wants you to buy a house.

Lets face it, if you are thinking of marrying and starting a family, hes not goin g to be able to provide for both .

Eve

amen to that gurlfriend!

panther

Are you sure he is getting a divorce? I would really be suspicious of this. Divorce is not so aceptable among a muslim society.

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Dont forget that Muslims are allowed more than 1 wife --- be VERY careful !

celtic

Hi Chocolaterose,

I'd agree with most users' thoughts here aside from the disinformation as muslims are allowed for having more than a wife and divorce is not acceptable in muslim society.

First, you(and everyone else who thinks the other way around) must know that bigamy is forbidden and defined as a crime in Turkish penal code as the offender to be inflicted imprisonment 6 months to 2 years.

From the other hand, divorce is not an uncommon option for the spouses who have breakdown in their relationships. Ten thousands of couples divorce every year in Turkey as they are regarded this right.

As for your questions,

I can't say how long the divorce case of your boyfriend exactly takes without getting informed regarding the documents. However, you must be prepared that the length of the action may vary from 2 months to 2 years as depending on whether it's uncontested or not.

Regarding why he wanted you to buy a house..

I can't know why he asked this but just inform you that he'll have a serious inheritance portion -that he won't be able to get disinherited by will- on every immovable assets you have/will have in Turkey. Furthermore, he'll probably claim rights on your personal property/properties in a probable divorce case(God forbid) some day.

There's nothing you can do for disinheriting him but you can sign a prenuptial agreement with him before or during marriage for divesting him from probable claims he may direct towards your properties some day in a divorce case.

Sorry for making such unpleasant presumptions, but I'd wanted to give some basic information and make recommendations considering the common complaints of foreigner women in Turkey.

Hope this helps,

Regards.

Last edited:

Peregrine

well heres a thought

he cheated on his wife for year by going out with you

so you want to get married and become his wife - then whats to stop him from cheating on you with the next little nymphette that comes along with a low cut top and fluttering eyelids?

wake up girlie - leopards dont change their spots

cassıe

cassıe
DONT DO IT!!! You will end up with nothing. :hearnoevi Keep your money in your pocket. You know it makes sense.

Angela Stansfield

Non Active Member
Hi Chocolaterose,

I'd agree with most users' thoughts here aside from the disinformation as muslims are allowed for having more than a wife and divorce is not acceptable in muslim society.

First, you(and everyone else who thinks the other way around) must know that bigamy is forbidden and defined as a crime in Turkish penal code as the offender to be inflicted imprisonment 6 months to 2 years.

From the other hand, divorce is not an uncommon option for the spouses who have breakdown in their relationships. Ten thousands of couples divorce every year in Turkey as they are regarded this right.

As for your questions,

I can't say how long the divorce case of your boyfriend exactly takes without getting informed regarding the documents. However, you must be prepared that the length of the action may vary from 2 months to 2 years as depending on whether it's uncontested or not.

Regarding why he wanted you to buy a house..

I can't know why he asked this but just inform you that he'll have a serious inheritance portion -that he won't be able to get disinherited by will- on every immovable assets you have/will have in Turkey. Furthermore, he'll probably claim rights on your personal property/properties in a probable divorce case(God forbid) some day.

There's nothing you can do for disinheriting him but you can sign a prenuptial agreement with him before or during marriage for divesting him from probable claims he may direct towards your properties some day in a divorce case.

Sorry for making such unpleasant presumptions, but I'd wanted to give some basic information and make recommendations considering the common complaints of foreigner women in Turkey.

Hope this helps,

Regards.

I thought the divorce laws changed last year and that each party is now entitled to keep what they had before the marriage?

celtic

I thought the divorce laws changed last year and that each party is now entitled to keep what they had before the marriage?

It's correct for the properties acquired before marriage but I meant her husband may direct claims towards her assets which she bought during marriage. All assets which are acquired during marriage are deemed to belong to both spouses in case of any divorce issue some day.

panther

Only 1 legal wife. They can have up to 4? These are usually mistresses and recognised by the village and family usually in Eastern Turkey. The ceremony is conducted by the local Hoca equivalent to our priest.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom