RustyDalyan

Turkish property-buying newbie needs help
I've found a property I'd like to buy, but have had no experience of buying in Turkey and would like some help with getting an idea of all the steps that need to be taken, when they should happen, and the cost. I'm doing this completely on my own (including trying to find money, yikes) so it's a bit daunting.

Particular concerns are:
The property has a sitting long-term tenant, which I'm fine about but whenever I tell anyone they throw up their hands in horror. Is it normal in Turkey for landlords/tenants to have written tenancy agreements? Covering what time period? What sort of things do they include?

I'm told the property is at present situated outside the area where foreigners are permitted to buy, but that a committee of some sort is due to vote shortly on bringing it within the "sell to foreigners" confines, does this ring true with people and can they explain it a bit further?

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions.

judi

Is the sun shining?
Hello there and welcome to the forum, there are lots of experienced buyers and estate agents on here who can give you the benefit of their wisdom.

Lots of luck with your purchase - exciting times!

colin c

to be honest i would say if there is any doubt in your mind dont buy it , if something is on your mind walk away and as for the buying out of the allowed area this commitee or what ever may take years .
there is loads for sale so go for something within the allowed area and make sure that all the paper work is up to date and correct .
in my opinion look at resales as you could well find a bargain and save yoursilf some money and a lot of headache .
im sure the others on here will give you the same advice
colin

pembelu

i wouldnt touch it- there are emough things to sort out with a house that can apparently be 'bought' let alone one that may or may not be outside a certain buyable zone.
there are plenty of bargains to be had in easier locations or ways from what i hear and see.there is no point trying for a bargain if it causes you legal problems waiting periods stress and uncertainty. life is too short and it wont feel like a bargain in the end maybe.
just a thought. oh and i for sure wouldnt go though all that alone.
good luck whatever you choose to do.
oh and if its dalyan you are looking in there is plenty to buy thats ready for easier sales...im sure others can tell you that or advise where or how....or from who...

Last edited:

Himmycats

Can someone experienced -(An individual who already bought) enlighten us with the rights steps please - FROM CHOOSING to OWNERSHIP

THANKS

I'm told the property is at present situated outside the area where foreigners are permitted to buy, but that a committee of some sort is due to vote shortly on bringing it within the "sell to foreigners" confines, does this ring true with people and can they explain it a bit further?

Many thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Be very very careful. There are people here in village areas (such as Okcular) who still do not have their TAPUS after being told for four years that " a decision will be made shortly."
These same people have handed over tens of thousands of pounds, some even hundreds of thousands, and they do NOT own their own property. Whilst the Tapu is in the name of their "best friend builder/solicitor" it is that person who owns the property and not the individual who thinks they have bought it.

I would say that Villabaris1 has given excellent advice!!
If you read the various threads about the problems others have experienced during the buying process you will see the process can be difficult enough on a straightforward property let alone one with a sitting tenant and on land outside the recognised confines.

There are bargains around and you have a tremendous choice in unencumbered property built on land available to foreigners.
I would avoid this property like the plague.
As you are trying to do it alone why not PM (personal message) MsWho (Kym) on here as she is a trustworthy emlak who often gives advice and has been a TLF member for years.
Best of luck to you

juco

With all the rip offs that are going on I would say walk away from this one, there are plenty of resales, but your choice.

In any case if I were buying now it would be a case of max 10% deposit and balance when tapu in my name regardless of new or resale.

nanamo

I can only echo - very strongly - what has already been said. This property may look like all you've ever drempt off but it could possibly turn out to be your worst nightmare. In my opinion it already has two serious no no's attached. It may look like an oportunity to buy at a reduced price but when you consider the costs of solicitors and court cases, air fares to attend court which will probably mean hotels accomodation it will turn out to be very costly - many many people have walked away from the nightmare and given up on the hope of ever getting their money back. You must think about this very carefully and when you've thought - dont do it - Molly

L

les&Tasha

I have a very simple peice of advise. NEVER pay for a property until the Tapu is transferred into your name. PERIOD. NO EXCEPTIONS.

So Rusty approach your vendors and tell them this. In Turkey it is the vendor who applies for the permission to sell to a foreigner. When they have the permission then you are able to purchase. You can offer a small deposit (say Euro 1000) to demonstrate you are not messing about. The pre sale contract should be notorized. If they agree fine. If they want more money up front tell them to bu**er off.

You want vacant posession. Do not buy with a sitting tenant. If the tenancy is long standing and they pay the rent as a foreigner you have very little chance of evicting them or raising the rent (which might well be very low). Tell the vendors this. If they agree to sell the property with vacant posession. Fine. If not walk away.

RustyDalyan

Wow, thank you thank you a thousand times thank you to everybody for all this advice so quickly. I am getting a very strong message here! Time for a serious rethink. Yes it is Dalyan and environs that I'm looking in.

In the hope that I do find somewhere suitable eventually, is it ethical for people on this forum to recommend specific lawyers? Or what should I look for when choosing one?

Many thanks once again. (Here I would insert a smiley thing but can't work out how to do it).

RustyDalyan

villabaris1 thank you, the property I was thinking of is indeed in Ok├žular.

CJD

Hi Rusty
My advice would be to definately walk away from that one!
When you are going out again get some names for reputable
agents from the forum and start again. If you are interested in the
Koycegiz area which is just accross the lake from Dalyan I
would be happy to recomend Erjan from President Estates he
speaks excellent english and will guide you through the process

RustyDalyan

Nice one thank you Carol, I'll look up your recommendation as Koycegiz would be fine for me too.

matty

Its a buyers market at the moment!..Just take your time, there are so many properties up for sale!!!
If in doubt walk away.

Good Luck

PASH

I was told last week, whether right or wrong, that there are over 60,000 unsold properties in the Bodrum pennisula, my advice would be, take your time, look at a nice resale with the Tapu and habitation certificate in place. Maybe rent for six months, find a good lawyer and just go slowley, don't rush at the first property that comes along in your price range. Stacks of advice on here, take time and read all the good, bad and indifferent tales.

candy

Another very important piece of advice, if you buy in an established complex make sure it has a management committee (made up of owners), and is run properly. There are loads of posts on here where people have horrendous problems where some other owners refuse to pay maintenance, or the maintenance is not being done at all, for example swimming pools are not in operation, electricity bills not being paid, so electricity is cut off, or the provider rips you off for doing as little as possible. Its a minefield. Some of these things happened to us until we cajoled everyone in doing this properly and setting up a proper committee, electing our maintenance provider etc.,etc.,
You will be in a much better position if most or preferably all owners are English, for a start you don't have a language barrier.
This is something that lots of people give no thought to (can't say we really did) when they get carried along in the excitement of buying. If things are not set up right, it can lead to years of misery, and the dream of your own little piece of paradise can soon go badly wrong.

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Must amit the advice about not rushing is good. We looked at 28 properties with 7 estate agents before buying. We bought on a former apat/hotel complex. No problems with Tapu or setting up management.

Koycegizlass

She who laughs last
Nice one thank you Carol, I'll look up your recommendation as Koycegiz would be fine for me too.
Koycegiz has plenty of properties for sale at reasonable prices. I will be staying there for the whole of next year as I love the area. Have been through the buying process which fell through eventually due to the property being outside the permitted area for foreigners to purchase. Any advice, you can contact me anytime either on here or meet up in Koycegiz. There from 28th December.

Gail

Latest Posts

Top Bottom