Turkish Prices
Have just spoken to a friend who is just back from Marmaris on holiday and she was shocked at the prices! A bottle of Angora wine in the supermarkets was 19lira we only pay 8lira here in the TRNC. Most of our local restuarants only charge 16 lira a bottle!
She also found that UK brands of butter etc were more expensive, I find this really weird as we are the ones that have embargoes against us, so in theory our prices should be dearer.
Can anyone tell me why things are so much more expensive on the mainland?

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Turkish Prices
I think you should be directing that question to the appropriate Turkish Ministry.

When you understand that they impose an Import Tax of up to 250% in certain products you begin to realise why non-Turkish brands are so expensive here.

Turkish Prices
You can get Angora wine here for 9.90TL at a local supermarket but its 15TL in the likes of Migros who are always more expensive. I've never seen it as high as 19TL so maybe Marmaris is whacking the price a bit.

jakebeak

Turkish Prices
Anything that's imported is going to be more expensive. Though, now is the holiday season so of course they're going to rack up the prices.

chelsea boy

Dun Goat Herding!
Turkish Prices
most of the price differences from trnc to mainland is due to tax issues, especially imports. Marmaris is then slightly higher priced because it's a tourist resort. Alcohol is particularly higher taxed as is petrol.

tomc1984

Turkish Prices
Pardon my ignorance but what is TRNC, am I having a Senior moment not knowing what this is?

Sara-666

Turkish Prices
We live in Turkey and after visiting the TRNC last month I am not going to complain any more about the prices in Turkey as I found them to be a lot cheaper on the whole for most things. We shopped at a local supermarket in Famagusta and for basics including coffee, sugar, meze etc it was nearly half as much again as we pay here in Turkey. I won't even start on the furniture side! The only thing we found to be cheaper was petrol.

Sara

Turkish Prices
I holiday in Turkey May and September and spend December/January in North Cyprus. Our holiday money goes a lot further in Turkey, never had Angora wine for less than 25tl in a Restuarant in NC, eating out is a little bit cheaper in Turkey.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom