cassıe

cassıe
Turkish Laws for English
:20: Can anyone help as to whether or not English Laws can apply in Turkey with regard to marriage problems. ie: I understand an English Will is not applicable over here.

If someone has been married for 20 years and they are about to split up but their Turkish home is only in the husbands name - is his wife entitled to half as she would be in England. I no there are english speaking lawyers but at the moment I am trying to find out as much information as I can from anyone that has had experience over here.

:confused:

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
Turkish Laws for English
I would e mail Celtic and ask for proper legal advice, I am pretty sure you have no entitlement, it is subject to turkish law not english

martin

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
Turkish Laws for English
I would e mail Celtic and ask for proper legal advice, I am pretty sure you have no entitlement, it is subject to turkish law not english

martin

Turkish laws changed in the last few years where the assets are split evenly for Turkish couples, I doubt it would be different for foreigners

Biker Bob

M

Mack

Turkish Laws for English
Hi cassie, I think Bob is correct, from what I can understand of divorce law here (not that Ive researched it for any reason, ahem!) there is a basic law that states a 50/50 split of any property (not just homes) purchased after the marriage, obviously prenuptial agreements and negotiations can change this outcome. Anything owned by the individual before getting married still belongs legally to the original owner as far as I know.

Kalkan regular

The Golden Girls
Turkish Laws for English
I think it will depend if the property was bought after January 2002. If it was it looks like it is divided equally but if not it looks like it is under the old rules. I've taken the quote from a site but read the same thing on a couple of sites.

'Unless the couple have agreed an alternative property regime (i.e. separation of property, shared separation of property or communion of property); any property acquired after January 2002 will be subject to the automatic division of assets. Any property acquired before January 2002 will be subject to the old provisions, unless the couple have previously agreed that it should be automatically divided.'

If you are both English and divorce in England I think the Turkish property will come under his assets and may be taken into consideration by the courts when looking at property/finance splits, especially if it was bought after marriage.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom