Debderebag

Turkish Kofte flavouring HELP!!!
I cant find the correct recipe for just "Turkish Meatballs" I can bring back packets of the stuff when I'm out there but I'm expecting my (turkish!) baby in 4 weeks so no travel for me!! I would love to hear about the correct combination of spices etc so we can continue to enjoy this wonderful flavour for a little longer till i can fly back out. Thankyou to anyone who can help.
Deb :25:

there are so many variations to make köfte...i make them a lot and we bbq them on the balcony...but you can also fry them.
i use lean beef mince and knead it with minced garlic cloves. very very finely chopped onion, a teaspoon of cumin/kimyon, black pepper ,salt, very finely chopped parsley leaves, and if you like it a little hot you can add some chilli flakes,
knead all if this lot together until its really pasty, some people add a beaten egg to bind and some add breadcrumbs to make it go further...i use neither.
then take pieces of the mix,according to how big you want the meatball to be..remembering that they will be smaller when they cook..and with wet hands roll it into a ball and then flatten it, do this with all the mix.
A kilo of meat will make a lot and the mixed mince or ready shaped köfte is also suitable for freezing.
you can buy packets of köfte spices..but getting your own combination right is much better..and cheaper.

have a look at this site for ideas its great
www.turkishcookbook.com

Last edited:

Debderebag

Thanks for that, yes I've been buying the packets but will now give it a go with your tips! Thanks for the site info too.
Deb

teresa

Free Thinker
I don't use any binder either but I whizz everything together except the meat and then just mix it with the meat - I am not very good at chopping onion small - never mind very very finely! No patience I suppose :bored:

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
teresa said:
I don't use any binder either but I whizz everything together except the meat and then just mix it with the meat - I am not very good at chopping onion small - never mind very very finely! No patience I suppose :bored:

Hi Teresa You could try Grating the onion and drain the juice off before adding to the mixture.

Ray

Latest Posts

Top Bottom