gra

belek member
turkish hospitality help
Hi all

With the byram festival tomorrow, our Turkish neighbour has just come to our villa and given us some food (very nice), what should be our responce to this.
Please dont say eat it, do we give them a gift, or some food, please advise.

ChrisBobs

turkish hospitality help
If you still have the plates, (clean them) and give them back with some nice food.
Even if you dont have the plates give some nice food.!! Cake - something!

Reactions: gra

babsgood

Deemon in disguise
turkish hospitality help
yes you must give a full plate back, make something, a cake is a good idea or something you are used to making......... try a curry or a chili you will surprised how well these go down

turkish hospitality help
i wouldnt be in a hurry to give any food present back at this time since tomorrow and for the next few days...people will have an abundance of food..and it will usually be the meat from the Kurban..sacrifice.

abla

turkish hospitality help
i wouldnt be in a hurry to give any food present back at this time since tomorrow and for the next few days...people will have an abundance of food..and it will usually be the meat from the Kurban..sacrifice.
I agree.
just wait a few days and then give them a plate of something Turkish like baklava as a thank you.

saffie

Saffie
turkish hospitality help
Alka Seltzers??? Ha ha ha ha.............

Well, I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not......

but my new neighbours did the same to me.........been here 5 years and it's never happened before,so I was "flummoxed" too........

Bit embarassed to admit but am coeliac so couldn't eat the offerings.........
so I fed it all to my dog,then rushed out and bought a box of chocolates,washed the dishes and put a " Iyi Bayramlar" note on the choccies and left them with the washed plates outside their front door.

Yes I know it would be better if I returned a home cooked offering but me? cook? duh?:hmm:

saffie

turkish hospitality help
Alka Seltzers??? Ha ha ha ha.............

Well, I don't know if this was the right thing to do or not......

but my new neighbours did the same to me.........been here 5 years and it's never happened before,so I was "flummoxed" too........

Bit embarassed to admit but am coeliac so couldn't eat the offerings.........
so I fed it all to my dog,then rushed out and bought a box of chocolates,washed the dishes and put a " Iyi Bayramlar" note on the choccies and left them with the washed plates outside their front door.

Yes I know it would be better if I returned a home cooked offering but me? cook? duh?:hmm:

saffie

Hi..Saffie..actually you did the right thing...
... if you want to give anything back(which you dodnt have) its better to do as Abla suggests..give soemthing Turkish as in general they dont like our food...and theres always a suspicion that we use pork fat..and/ or cook with utensils that have been used when cooking pork products.
İ dont mean this in any way as an insult, but pork is forbidden and many Muslims feel uncomfortable..and just as Saffie did ..as she was too polite to say she couldnt eat it...this is what happens to a lot of stuff ..it goes out..rather than hurt your feelings.

johngood

turkish hospitality help
we give chocolates back on the plates.I once made some home made ice cream with a little brandy in it. Nouri her son a good friend came around next day and said .JOHN my mother was dancing in the garden she loves your ice cream was there something in it like alcohol. no problem he says i wont tell her . never had a drink all her life ooooopppps.
so now no brandy.

Gail

turkish hospitality help
Hi..Saffie..actually you did the right thing...
... if you want to give anything back(which you dodnt have) its better to do as Abla suggests..give soemthing Turkish as in general they dont like our food...and theres always a suspicion that we use pork fat..and/ or cook with utensils that have been used when cooking pork products.
İ dont mean this in any way as an insult, but pork is forbidden and many Muslims feel uncomfortable..and just as Saffie did ..as she was too polite to say she couldnt eat it...this is what happens to a lot of stuff ..it goes out..rather than hurt your feelings.

Shirley I think this may be an area thing as our neighbours love the food we have cooked them, hotpot, curry, lasagne, chilli, cake, they really enjoy it and have even come to our house to eat. They are scared of the dogs but they chance their arm and come lol

turkish hospitality help
Shirley I think this may be an area thing as our neighbours love the food we have cooked them, hotpot, curry, lasagne, chilli, cake, they really enjoy it and have even come to our house to eat. They are scared of the dogs but they chance their arm and come lol

ah but Gail..you're a one off..and they know you well now ..you're a native xx

Lyndsey

Kalın deriliyimdir
turkish hospitality help
I make cakes for the staff here and friends and they eat it and can't wait for more. They too especially love lasagne and any kind of cake. I made Christmas Cake this week but that's another story...

Bibby

Ferretbrain
turkish hospitality help
I tend to make cakes for them. They seem to like them. I have presented them with curry, but I am not sure how that went down. And the Houmous wasn't liked, LOL. We told them there was Tahin in it, they thought it was going to be sweet. We also told them there was a lot of Garlic in it but I think their mind stuck on Tahin and didn't grasp the significance of Garlic. Ah well....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom