KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Turkish Father Gets 22 Years For "Honour Killing"
A father was today jailed for 22 years for the honour killing of his teenage daughter.

Mehmet Goren, a Turkish Alevi, murdered 15-year-old Tulay for her doomed 'Romeo and Juliet' romance with Halil Una, an older man from a different branch of Islam.

After the teenager lost her virginity to her lover she was viewed as a 'valueless commodity' by her father - and had to be killed to restore the family's reputation.

Father found guilty of murdering daughter, 15, in 'honour killing' | Mail Online

Pete&Mag

I guess there will now be an avalanche of Muslim Clerics condemning this mans behaviour , and pointing out that islam has no place for such beliefs, thus discouraging any similar killings.

Pete

leylaasena

I'm glad to see the Turkish Courts are taking it seriously with a stiff sentence.

parrot

I guess there will now be an avalanche of Muslim Clerics condemning this mans behaviour , and pointing out that islam has no place for such beliefs, thus discouraging any similar killings.

Pete
Doubt it.

saffie

Saffie
Where's the honour in the cold blooded murder of your own child?

saffie

I'm glad to see the Turkish Courts are taking it seriously with a stiff sentence.

hi bev this is in England Not Turkey. the family are originally from Eastern Turkey and apparently they had directives from some of the elders of the family still living there. İts very complex and very terrible.

Gail

This is such a sad story but it is cold blooded murder at the end of the day. I was very touched by what the daughter said about her mum being brave and giving evidence at the court case as she said in her culture this will never be forgotten. My heart goes out to them.

Maybe if the mum had done more before the murder,we wouldn't have this thread,how involved was she and others.
i agree..the family were living and working in England and the mother had resources available to stop the tragedy.
All the family knew what was going on and nobody stopped it.İ wonder how many other young girls living in the Uk are being subjected to similar horrors.

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
I am happy some justice is being served.....if it had happened in Turkey I believe the justice part would have been nil.

Bob

Pete&Mag

I am happy some justice is being served.....if it had happened in Turkey I believe the justice part would have been nil.

Bob

I dont know much about these things. How would this have been treated in Turkey? Presumably the courts in Eastern turkey take a different approach to western,cosmopolitan Turkey ?

I dont know much about these things. How would this have been treated in Turkey? Presumably the courts in Eastern turkey take a different approach to western,cosmopolitan Turkey ?

hi Pete the law doesn't differ from one part of Turkey to the other.
However cases like these have been treated very lightly by the courts the usual sentence was 5 years with the killer being treated with respect in prison.

The law recently changed to a life sentence and since then the murders have been carried out by younger family members who will not receive the higher sentence..and it has been said that there has been an increase in female suicides since the change in sentencing.
Scratch the surface and there isnt a 'Cosmopolitan Western Turkey. One of the worst recent cases to have gone through the Courts was a man who accused his wife of not being a virgin on their wedding night. and for this he sought a divorce..she counter claimed and had an examination to determine her virginity. The case eventually went to the Court of Appeals and the mans complaint was upheld by the judge who said a man had the right to expect his wife to be a virgin. As you can imagine this has enraged Womens groups here who say this will lead to more violence and mistreatment of women.
İ am sure many cases dont get as far as the court..and i suspect that there are many such cases in the UK similar to this recent one in England. Apparently there are thousands of young women who go missing every year.

Guz1

Shirley,

Is this custom peculiar to Kurds rather than ethnic Turks or does it happen in families from both ethnic backgrounds? Also, is it peculiar to poor, uneducated families or does it also happen in families from higher socio economic groups?

Maria in Turkey it is a Kurdish practice.
İ'm sure as in most cultures there are murders when people kill in a jealous rage and Turks as we know are hot blooded, but this isnt the same as so called 'honour killing' which is carried out with the knowledge of the family, its cold blooded and premeditated.

abla

Hi guz1
I know your question was to our shirl but just to stick my nose in....

It is restricted to the east,Kurdish.They dont want the kids to be educated as we know it.They want their own culture and muslim schools.

I will tell you a fact now.A Doctor friend was sent out to the east to promote birth control advice.He explained a coil and the man said he didnt want it for his wife as all and sundry would be able to hear from this radio what he was up to!!!!!!
Paranoia and up to no good and uneducated.

Guz1

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether it was an Islamic custom. Evidently not if it just happens in Kurdish families. I'm all for people retaining their customs and traditions but such practices wouldn't be tolerated in any society calling itself civilised.

Abla: I don't think it right to tar all Kurds in Eastern Turkey with the same brush. Some of our Turkish/Kurdish neighbours hail from the east and their womenfolk are treated with the utmost respect. Equality was a long, hard struggle for women even in the most modern countries. I suppose Kurdish women in some areas of Eastern Turkey will have to wait a generation or so before it comes to them. Education is the way forward. What matter if the children are educated in their own language, and why not in Muslim schools so long as they are taught to the standards of the national curriculum? There's nothing wrong with wanting their own culture......there is nothing cultured about murder (calling it honour killings is an insult to the victims).

Latest Posts

Top Bottom