bobthenob

Non Active Member
Turkish Delights History
l copied this from Global oneness.A very interesting article on the history of this chewy sweet.l love this sweet,so l was keen to find out more of how it orginally came about.
here is the article.

Turkish Delight - Origin
The history of lokum dates back 230 years, making it one of the oldest sweets in the world. Turkish legend has it that in his endeavor to cope with all his mistresses, a Turkish sultan summoned all his confectionery experts and ordered them to produce a unique dessert to add to the collection of secret recipes for which he was famous. As a result of extensive research lokum was born.

In 1776, during the reign of Sultan Abdul Hamid I, Bekir Effendi, a fully apprenticed confectioner, arrived in Istanbul from a small town in Anatolia. Bekir set up in a little shop in the center of the city. Hadji Bekir was the Willy Wonka of his day and among a people with such a sweet tooth as the Turks, he quickly won fame and fortune. Fashionable ladies began giving Turkish Delight to their friends in special lace handkerchiefs. These were also used as acts of courting between couples, as documented by traditional Turkish love songs of that era.

Lokum was unveiled to the west in the 19th century. During his travels to Istanbul, an unknown British traveler became very fond of the Turkish delicacy, purchased cases of lokum and shipped them to Britain under the name Turkish Delight. Picasso used to eat Turkish Delight on a daily basis for concentration on his work while Winston Churchill and Napoleon's favorite Turkish Delight was with pistachio filling.

The long name for the sweet is rahat lokum. The etymology of the word lokum has puzzled linguists for many years; it seems to be a corruption of the Arabic word rahat-al hulkum, meaning the contentment of throat while in Ottoman Turkish it means a piece of contentment. So, "Turkish Delight" may not be far off.

zuberdust

IM THE BESTEST :)
Turkish Delights History
i LOVE turkish delight! i can eat a whole box myself!
but i prefer Baklava......... now that i can eat boxes at a time!!! sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice!

luckycat68

LOVING MY LIFE
Turkish Delights History
The best Turkish Delight I have ever tasted comes from Afyon - where my husband
comes from - you can buy almost every where and it hangs up in the shops and the bus station in long lengths and they just cut it off for you -- oh so lovely and LOTS of varieties and different flavours - sadly I cant have it now because I am diabetic ( but sometimes I sneak a small piece ! )

:Flower:

bobthenob

Non Active Member
Turkish Delights History
Ever thought of making your own sweet.l found this recipe on the webpage called about.com for middle eastern foods.
There are so many ways in creating a delicious dish with this sweet.My favourite is turkish delight ice cream..a bit chewing,but by gum it does lasts a long time

Turkish Delight is a candy that originated in Turkey in the 1700's. The candy was featured in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", by C.S Lewis. The White Witch tempted a character, Edmund with Turkish Delight. This easy Turkish Delight recipe will tempt you, too!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Ingredients:
4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups cornstarch
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 1/4 cups water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons rosewater
1 cup confectioners sugar
Vegetable oil ot shortening
Preparation:
In a 9 inch baking pan, grease the sides and bottom with vegetable oil or shortening. Line with wax paper and grease the wax paper.

In a saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar and 1 1/2 cups water on medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves. Allow mixture to boil. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, until the mixture reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and set aside.

Combine cream of tartar, 1 cup corn starch and remaining water in saucepan over medium heat. Stir until all lumps are gone and the mixture begins to boil. Stop stirring when the mixture has a glue like consistency.

Stir in the lemon juice, water and sugar mixture. Stir constantly for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, Allow to simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently.

Once the mixture has become a golden color, stir in rosewater. Pour mixture into wax paper lined pan. Spread evenly and allow to cool overnight.

Once it has cooled overnight, sift together confectioners sugar and remaining cornstarch.

Turn over baking pan containing Turkish delight onto clean counter or table and cut with oiled knife into one inch pieces.

Coat with confectioners sugar mixture. Serve or store in airtight container in layers separated with wax or parchment paper.
User Reviews

Sunny Seasider

Life is so precious
Turkish Delights History
BTN, Thank you for the history of Lokum, Turkish Delight, abs love it and always bring half a doz boxes back, it is very nice after a meal too.

Top Bottom