ceemac

Shake It Baby...
Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
I'm sure there'll be other opinions on this, but here are apparently the top ten beaches in the country, (with the nearest big town in brackets);

1. Patara (Fethiye): 50 meters/yards wide and 20 km (12.5 miles) long, this beach 75 km (47 miles) south of Fethiye is Turkey's finest. Accommodations—and shade—are limited, though.

t0p6x4.jpg
Patara Beach

2. Ölüdeniz (Fethiye): Very fine, with good hotels, restaurants and bars, but because it's Turkey's most famous, it can get crowded.

3. Olimpos (Antalya): The opposite of the others: small, secluded, atmospheric, backed by a forest filled with Roman ruins. 79 km (49 miles) southwest of Antalya

2va12lj.jpg
Olimpos Beach

4. Side (Antalya): The once-idyllic village 65 km (40 miles) east of Antalya is now crowded and noisy, but the beaches are still fine and unspoiled. Roman ruins abound

5. Alanya: The town (115 km/72 miles east of Antalya) is busy and crowded, but the beaches are so long (22 km/14 miles to the east) that there's plenty of sand for everyone. Great Seljuk castle, too.

6. Iztuzu (Dalyan): Good beach, with or w/o logger-head turtles. The town, 8 km (5 miles) NW of Dalaman Airport, the river, cliff tombs and Caunos ruins are a nice bonus.

7. Bodrum Peninsula: Beaches in the towns are not great, but good smaller ones abound: Ortakent Yalisi (coarse sand & pebble), Turgutreis (surfy), and gem-like Gümüslük

8. Kemer (Antalya): Very mod-resorty, but near a lot of interesting day-trip possibilities

9. Pamucak (Ephesus): Big, broad, dark sand, only 7 km (4 miles) west of Ephesus, relatively clean with a few cig butts and bottlecaps

10. Çalis (Fethiye): Long beach near the city cradling yacht-happy Fethiye Bay, good but somehow un-charming, and famous Ölüdeniz is just 10 km (6 miles) away over the hills.

These are also worthy of mention;

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kizkalesi (Silifke): Known only to Turks and savvy foreigners, the beach is sort of small but the castle out at sea makes up for it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sinop: Nice beaches, never crowded, because the Black Sea water is usually pretty chilly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kusadasi (Ephesus): Nice enough beaches, but small and very crowded.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Antalya: Big, long pebble/coarse sand beach using the Blue Flag System to certify cleanliness.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Samandagi (Antakya): Nice enough, but way down near Syria (26 km/16 miles) southwest of Antakya.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anamur (Alanya): Good beach that only Turks seem to know about. Interesting Byzantine[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ghost town nearby.[/FONT]

Source:Turkey Travel Planner

C

MrFOG

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
I would vote for Oludeniz and Patara for sure. Can't beat them. I don't think people vote just for the actual beach or sand but for the whole beach and its surroundings. Olu is breathtaking.

hijo

in my own clique
Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
..i have been all around turkey ,,to most of the resorts ..and that was on our "must have list" and kusadasi,s long beach came on top of our list .that is the main reason we bought here ,our villa is 50 metres from silver sands beach"on long beach"...this beach goe,s from ladies beach all the way to guzelcamli..about 20 odd kilometres...:3:

kaplumba

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
I'm surprised they don't mention any of the beaches on the Datca peninsula. There are hundreds of them and some only accessible from the sea and very deserted. Some of them have blue flag status and the area is said to be in the top 3 in the world for water and air quality. I have travelled much of the coast from Izmir to Fethiye and these beaches are by far the most beautiful surrounded by mountains and stunning scenery. Gebekum a long stretch of gravelly sand and dunes is an amazing place with many rare plants and animals. Even at the height of the season you can find empty beaches. I suppose it's probably better that these beaches are not publicised in order to preserve their beauty.

Guz1

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
Very true hijo. Long Beach can hardly be called small and crowded. At some parts of the beach you could find yourself on your own. Also the beaches at the Dilek National Park in Guzelcamli are lovely....calm seas as clear as glass.

Yes, the miles of beach between Kus and Guzelcamli would taking some beating. Guzelcamli is also said to have the best air quality on the Aegean coast.

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
Long Beach in Kusadsi is spectacular, you can go far down to the end where the national forest is and it is sometimes deserted, and so clean.
In Bodrum I love bitez, good vibe and lovely clean water

Attachments

• P5301371.JPG
    P5301371.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P5301368.JPG
    P5301368.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P5301367.JPG
    P5301367.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 8
  • P5301364.JPG
    P5301364.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P5301363.JPG
    P5301363.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 10

pebble

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
One beach that is only accessible by boat, is cleopatra's island. there is quite a history there, and such pomp and ceremoney to go swimming there.

here is a link that shows the photos
Turkey - Cleopatra Beach

According to ancient legend, Cleopatra and Marc Antony liked to rendezvous at this beach. She wanted only Egyptian soil under her toes, so he imported sand by ship. Is this love or what? The fine yellow sand is so rare that visitors are allowed to look but not touch. To swim, there is a footbridge over the sand and into the sea. Sedir Island is accessible by boat from Gelibolu Bay.

when u are done swimming, you have to take a shower, and there is a "life guard" like person sitting up in his big ole chair making sure you wash it all off.............

It used to be, back in the day, that people would just bring bags full of it home, but it has become so depleted, that they are really cracking down on this practice.

the water and the beach is wonderful, and just the general feel of the place is magical. well worth the visit. and please, dont take any of the sand.............(i took a friend with me, and i'll be dammed if he didnt slip some in his bathing suit pocket.......)

the other beach that i would recommend, is the beach that I spent all my childhood summers at.
KALABAKA BEACH between izmir and urla.
Kalabaka used to be where the italian community of izmir spent their summers. there is a camp there run by the Domenican church we belong to, and we children (along with most of the other italian kids from our school) would go at the beginning of the summer and stay till the end of August. these were magical summers for us.
I am not sure how the beach has changed, I'm sure it has.......
It had white sand, and blue seas that were wonderful for snorkeling and swimming and what not.

then there is cesme beach of course, white sand, aqua water, no depth, you can out for a mile and still be knee high in water. great for kids............

IN bodrum, i agree camel beach is great, so is Bitez, but nothing beats camel beach.......
wandering vendors at camel beach I enjoyed....: candy apple and fresh corn on the cob.......

and the cafe at camel beach, is so authentic turkish, AKPINAR, locally owned and operated, family enterprise etc etc............
all the meals are cooked by the women of the family and served by the men of the family, i think that's funny..........

claire1976

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
Sarsala.jpg

Sarsala Beach in Dalaman needs a mention I think, truly beautiful and unspoilt by mass tourism. Many days this year we were the only family on there, lovely!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
then there is cesme beach of course, white sand, aqua water, no depth, you can out for a mile and still be knee high in water. great for kids............

IN bodrum, i agree camel beach is great, so is Bitez, but nothing beats camel beach.......
wandering vendors at camel beach I enjoyed....: candy apple and fresh corn on the cob.......

and the cafe at camel beach, is so authentic turkish, AKPINAR, locally owned and operated, family enterprise etc etc............
all the meals are cooked by the women of the family and served by the men of the family, i think that's funny..........

You took the thoughts straight from my mind Peb... as i was reading the first part of your post i was thinking..." What about Camel Beach ant the Akpinar..?
And wasn't the water at Cesme warm....

the pics show me and the Queen of Ortakent at the Akpinar, Peb and her Candy apple, and the sweet corn vendor.

Attachments

• 398.jpg
    398.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 079.jpg
    079.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 402.jpg
    402.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9

kaplumba

Turkey's Top 10 Beaches
We too love Camel beach and have had several holidays at the Javelin hotel there. I don't really think that area is particularly beautiful though. When they were little my kids liked the camel farm behind the beach. The big problem with that beach is that it gets so crowded when the passengers pile off the gulets from Bodrum. The best time there is in the evening after they have left or first thing in the morning.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom