teresa

Free Thinker
Turkey's missing children
Turkey continues the search for its missing children

I was rather amazed when two Turkish women friends told me that 600 children went missing in Turkey in a year. I then read reports of children going missing in Fethiye and other places at seker bayram. I saw posters for the local children (3 of them) in shop windows.

My friends think that people do not watch their children closely enough and they believe that the children were taken for things like organ harvesting and child prostitution.

I could find nothing to confirm what my friend had said until this article appeared.

Hi,

We were in Turkey when the three children went missing-like most of the children at Seker Bayram they were going around their neighbourhood innocently collecting sweets.

It's a very tragic situation that the rest of the world appears to be unaware of.
When you think of all the resources put in place to find poor little Madeleine McCann-these little souls didn't rate much of a mention outside their own areas.

Ann

alison09400

You only need to turn on ATV or Star TV any weekday morning around 9.30am and you'll learn how many children (and adults) who go missing. Many are found dead...others still on the missing list.

Guz1

Scary stuff. I thought that Turkey was a very safe place for children. Was I wrong?

nanamo

I thought Turkey was safe for children too. The Turkish people appear to love children. Our lad has mental health problems and everyone was so kind to him, here wasnt the usual 'double take' when he did something strange for an 11 year old to do and everyone we meet seems to accept him how he is.

kaplumba

I thought so too Maria, perhaps we were wrong. I'm always being told how safe it is for children to play outside unsupervised in Turkey. Maybe it's because so many children are out playing that makes it easier to take them. I always try to look at any reports in a balanced way and always remember that newspaper reports are often sensationalised. Children go missing all over the world and I haven't looked at the numbers for UK yet. We also have children who run away and are not seen again. However the person in the report seemed to think that once you took out the numbers of children who run away from orphanages, the numbers were normal. NORMAL? No instances of children disappearing should be seen as normal.

Guz1

I agree Kaplumba. It does happen everywhere. Suppose I had better issue a few warnings to the family. Turkey always seemed so safe - so much so that there was weeping and gnashing of teeth when I mentioned selling up.

Reckon that nowhere is safe anymore.

i dont think children play outside 'unsupervised' theres always somebody keeping an eye on them. the kids that disappear are usually street children,or kids who are in care or who are living in abusive situations and they run away.
Domestic violence in Turkey is a real problem.
this is part of a report by İHB Prime Ministry’s Human Rights Directorship..althoug this report is about 18 months ago..its still relevant
''...According to the figures of the Police Department, there were 1446 lost children as of January 15. The reason behind this discrepancy is the disagreement on the concept of lost children.

İHB defines the concept of “lost child” as the child between the ages of 0-18 who ran away or taken away form his/her family without their knowledge and thus is in danger and sends no information about his/her welfare. These figures do not include the “unrecorded children”, whose status is not communicated to the necessary public institutions.

According to the report, the reasons the children are lost are the following:

- Children born to early marriages may not get enough attention from their parents. Too many children may also lead to abuse.

- Excessive violence, poverty, unemployment may force children to leave their families.

- Migration, inability to adapt, and limited employment opportunities for young people.

- Kidnapping children for various reasons.

According to the report the children groups under risk are:

- Those under institutional care.

- Those lost because of accidents and natural disaster.

- Those forced to commit crimes.

The report indicates that the negative programs in the media may affect the children. Similarly, it places the negative use of the internet as one of the reasons.

The report recommends giving support to the children and the families under risk in the cities with high migration rates.

The report also recommends that the sexual abuse of children should be taken out of the category of crimes that require formal complaint first. It also recommends that the authorities fight against the employment of children...''

teosgirl

i dont think children play outside 'unsupervised' theres always somebody keeping an eye on them. the kids that disappear are usually street children,or kids who are in care or who are living in abusive situations and they run away.
D

Shirley,

Children in our area play outside completely unsupervised, even as young as three years old. My neighbours children walked to school alone from the age of 6-7, and it's about half a mile, maybe more.

One of my daughters school friends came home with us the other day to play and do homework (with parental consent) When I dropped her home no one was there so I started to panic but she said, 'oh no it's ok I'm used to staying home alone until my father, step mum or sister arrive' I was shocked as it was already dark out and I'd never let my nine year old stay home alone, not even for 30 mins. So I took her to her uncles fish market and said I wasn't happy leaving her alone and could she stay with them. They were happy to have her until her sister came by to collect her.

I've just returned from Istanbul and we visited friends in Gozetepe. 3 children approximately 8 years old were playing football in the street where we were parked. As we pulled out another car came from the opposite direction and had to break fast and hit the horn as the youngest boy tried to run across the road to fetch the ball.

There was a story a couple of days ago on one of the Turkish news channels, stating that 350 school transfer bus drivers have been arrested for being part of a peadophile ring.

I find Turkey abit like the UK was about 25 years ago. I used to walk to school or friends houses unsupervised from around 7 years of age. but now no one would let their child go too as we've had to adapt to new (or newly realised) dangers.

Turkey will also one day learn to adapt.

Charlotte

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
This poor wee soul was reported missing on Monday -words just can't express these sorts of things.

'A 4-year-old girl who went missing in the southeastern Anatolian province of Gaziantep was allegedly killed by her uncle, news agencies reported Wednesday.'

Here

C

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
The Turkish Parliament will establish a 16-member commission to take charge of investigating the cases of missing children for the next three months, including conducting feidlwork outside the capital if necessary, according to a decision during Tuesday night’s plenary session.

Here

C

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
This poor wee soul was reported missing on Monday -words just can't express these sorts of things.

'A 4-year-old girl who went missing in the southeastern Anatolian province of Gaziantep was allegedly killed by her uncle, news agencies reported Wednesday.'

Here

C

I really am getting sick and tired of all the outragous killings in Turkey. I think maybe the first law they should change is that you can't marry a first cousin, that may help some.

Bob

Latest Posts

Top Bottom