ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
This news will no doubt be welcomed by some here - I don't as I'm very concerned as to who Turkey may now or in the near future form alliances with.

'Turkish hopes of joining the EU appeared to be all but over after Germany gave warning it was ready to join France and Italy in outright opposition to the country's membership.'

Here

C

juco

'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
I think better in some ways for Turkey as I think the EU would have destroyed it, culture etc.
However like you I also think they will form an alliance with someone.
And there might be a backlash against EU citizens who reside there.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
President Gul appears to be for forging ahead with democratic and legislative changes to ensure full membership of the EU is a priority. This will be emphasised in his speech to the opening of Parliament's new term.

It surprises me a little after the bad news (for Turkey) of Germany's election result, and further noises from France of complete opposition to Turkey's membership hopes, that Turkey is still so warm to the EU.

The article on Gul's speech is here

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
Just their fear of 71m Turks entering the EU, many of them poor, (and all of them Muslim), I would suspect...

C

SuperBogs

I miss you Pebble
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
Just their fear of 71m Turks entering the EU, many of them poor, (and all of them Muslim), I would suspect...

C

Agreed.....the voting power the Turks would have would be substantial also.

Biker Bob

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
Well that doesn't surprise me at all . I'm not realy into polatics . None of these 3 countries impress me very much . France wouldn't have our beef and always have blockades for whatever reason and they don't like us . Ever since we chopped off the queens head . { sounds like a pub } Germany we had two wars with ! and italy is on anybodys side if that side is winning . As for the Turkish imigrants i suspect most would come to us haveing seen the villas etc the brits have bought . But they make us welcome so i don't mind that . I'd swop countries with them anyday !! And the EU would ruin Turkey as we no it . rant over i'll do my cleaning now and leave this heavy stuff for you men .... Diane

Ps If these 3 countries succeed Then Turkey should ban them from entering thier country . Oh what bliss NO towels on the sun loungers lol

Last edited:

PASH

'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
Surely if Germany are so worried about a mass influx of Turks, they should make membership conditional on there still being border controls / immigration controls, thus, limiting the amount of movement from Turks. Frankly i think we should have the same and only allow people to immigrate who can contribute to the country, we are over run with Romainans, Poles etc who just come over, get free housing and welfare and contribute nothing - as for Turkey not being on a par financially - neither are and were countries from the eastern block that we have already allowed in. Rant over!

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
Surely if Germany are so worried about a mass influx of Turks, they should make membership conditional on there still being border controls / immigration controls, thus, limiting the amount of movement from Turks. Frankly i think we should have the same and only allow people to immigrate who can contribute to the country, we are over run with Romainans, Poles etc who just come over, get free housing and welfare and contribute nothing - as for Turkey not being on a par financially - neither are and were countries from the eastern block that we have already allowed in. Rant over!

Well said Pash.

Saoirse

'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
as usual totally incorrect "facts" are presented on this and other subjects related to EU membership/immigration etc

Firstly Romanians are not entitled to a penny, They get nothing from Dhss, no handouts

Secondly the whole point of full EU membership is freedom of movement between member countries so you cant give a nation full membership and then object to thier citizens travelling to other member countries

Thirdly the problem with "semi" membership, like Romania is the citizens have the right to travel to other countires but arent allowed to legally work there!

whu66

www.gulluk.co.uk, www.cjceramics.com
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'

Right here we go,worked in germany for 2 years when the wall came down,at that point they was using the turks as guest workers,and they arrived for a 3 month stint,then was replaced with another turk....so happy to use and abuse when needed for the jobs the germans didnt want,also am i correct in thinking germans dont have to pay a tenner visa to enter turkey??? if so start charging them...

As for france well best thing to come out of there is the ferry to dover...enough said..

Me personally have concerns over an influx of turks into the uk,but on the otherhand if i can move to turkey freely i sure know being a good tiler i will have work coming out my ears....

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
as usual totally incorrect "facts" are presented on this and other subjects related to EU membership/immigration etc

Firstly Romanians are not entitled to a penny, They get nothing from Dhss, no handouts

Secondly the whole point of full EU membership is freedom of movement between member countries so you cant give a nation full membership and then object to thier citizens travelling to other member countries

Thirdly the problem with "semi" membership, like Romania is the citizens have the right to travel to other countires but arent allowed to legally work there!

Afraid one of your 'facts' isn't strictly correct either Philip.

Romanians already living in the UK prior to the country joining the EU are exempt from some of the restrictions, for example any Romanians already legally working for more than a year in the UK are legally entitled to work freely here.

The 'benefits' even the dogs in the street know they are being given are of course obtained illegally, but it is a multi million pound enterprise, and I suspect that what the authorities detect is a drop in the ocean compared to what is actually being stolen.

'Unemployed Romanians arriving in the UK are not typically entitled to benefits, but Romanian criminal gangs forge documents providing false work histories and obtain National Insurance numbers. Trafficked Romanian children are used to claim additional housing benefit, tax credits and child benefit. They can also be presented to council officials or benefit investigators conducting checks.'

Read about this fraud here

What I can't figure out is why the govt is very supportive of Turkey joining the EU when it's pretty clear that 71m more people is bound to be a strain on all the other states?

C

Yalides

Am I pretty ?
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
Right here we go,worked in germany for 2 years when the wall came down,at that point they was using the turks as guest workers,and they arrived for a 3 month stint,then was replaced with another turk....so happy to use and abuse when needed for the jobs the germans didnt want,also am i correct in thinking germans dont have to pay a tenner visa to enter turkey??? if so start charging them...

As for france well best thing to come out of there is the ferry to dover...enough said..

Me personally have concerns over an influx of turks into the uk,but on the otherhand if i can move to turkey freely i sure know being a good tiler i will have work coming out my ears....

Sorry mate, top class tilers are two a penny here.

Saoirse

'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
my point re Romanians not being entitled to benefits is entirely correct

Of course there may be some fraud but alas the amount of foreigners illegally obtaining benefit wouldnt make up 0.01% of the amount stolen by the indigenous population

I feel it important to challenge the total myths that "they come over here and get benefits" perpetuated by many in the gutter press and unfortunately believed by the more naive tabloid readers.

ceemac

Shake It Baby...
'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
my point re Romanians not being entitled to benefits is entirely correct

Of course there may be some fraud but alas the amount of foreigners illegally obtaining benefit wouldnt make up 0.01% of the amount stolen by the indigenous population

I feel it important to challenge the total myths that "they come over here and get benefits" perpetuated by many in the gutter press and unfortunately believed by the more naive tabloid readers.

Where did you get the 0.01% from? Can you source that figure or is that your own estimate and if so on what did you base it?

C

juco

'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
What I can't figure out is why the govt is very supportive of Turkey joining the EU when it's pretty clear that 71m more people is bound to be a strain on all the other states?

Long term strategy to dilute the % of higher social classes/earners giving rise to more poverty generally, giving in turn more control over the population by use of economic bullying.

Saoirse

'Turkey's EU Hopes Over'
lol!

well I would actually invisage it being a lot less

you dont seriously think there is a serious problem with foreign nationals pretending to be British, arriving at the dss office claiming benefit compared to the home grown scroungers do you???????????/

My main point is that contrary to what we are told many of those who arrive here, Romanians for example do not get dole etc as some would have us believe

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom