KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
Turkey seeks visa-free travel in Europe
“It’s unacceptable that certain Balkan countries that are in the initial stages of the membership process and have not begun negotiations have been given the Schengen privilege, while Turkey, considering the level that Turkish-EU relations have reached, has not,”

hijo

in my own clique
wonder if it could have a knock on affect for expats living in turkey with ,90 day visas and residence permits...:rockon:

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
No, because the UK and Ireland, despite being EU members, aren't signed-up to the Schengen Agreement.

pineapple1

I Love Kleopatra Beach !
Would that mean if my Husband had a visa to go one of the other countries who have this agreement . He could then come to the UK ..Diane

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
Diane, no, this only applies to countries in the Schengen group, which does not include UK.

Ian

ChrisBobs

But Schengen visa bearers have free movement to UK and Ireland? or not?

Will UK now have Serbian Plumbers??? :)

immac

Senior Member Has-Been
From Wikipedia:
" The borderless zone created by the Schengen Agreements, the Schengen Area, currently consists of 25 European countries. Ireland and the United Kingdom opted out of Schengen's border control arrangements, while participating in certain provisions relating to judicial and police cooperation."

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement[/ame]

Guz1

But Schengen visa bearers have free movement to UK and Ireland? or not?

Schengen definitely doesn't cover UK and Ireland. There are even restrictions on travel between the UK and Ireland. I checked into this last year when one of my Turkish neighbours was on an extended trip to visit her family in England. She would have had to get a separate visitor's visa for Ireland prior to leaving Turkey.

Chinook

The UK and Ireland are signatories to the Schengen Agreement but opted out of the removal of border control aspect.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom