Useful Information

Tenpin

The Yorkshireman
Turkey is rich for sustainable gastronomy tourism

Turkey is rich for sustainable gastronomy tourism​

Extract:
Turkey offers a table of abundant resources for sustainable gastronomy tourism, according to a Turkish culinary expert who says authenticity should be preserved to maintain it.

“To make the most of this potential, we should make the preservation of the local gastronomic heritage our focus,” Zeynep Kakınç, chair of the Istanbul-based Gastronomic Society of Turkey, told Anadolu Agency.

“It is essential to preserve authenticity both in product production and in transferring local dishes to the future,” she said.

Kakınç’s remarks came as June 18 marks Sustainable Gastronomy Day. Called by many as “the art of food,” gastronomy can also “refer to a style of cooking from a particular region as well as local food and cuisine,” according to the U.N.

alva5763

Bodrum buddy
Turkey has many tasty and aesthetic foods. We prefer to try the traditional dishes where possible especially if we are on holiday to a new area. Unfortunately many holiday makers and expats want their homestyle food, especially on beachfront promenades. Each to their own.

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
I love Turkish food but am constantly amused with the reaction that I get from locals when i make a change to a traditional recipe. 'Very nice but we don't put onions in Şakşuka' is a typical reaction.

yalimart

The Carnwath Massive
We watched the traditional foods in restaurants disappear over the years to be replaced by kofte shops, Mehmet did ok selling kofte last year, so I will open a kofte shop next door, I'm fed up with selling magic carpets and fez's. Our memory in Bodrum was of large rectangular pans with various casseroles in, stuffed this and that and trays of different pilavs and an abundance of breads, the last one I recall in Bodrum was called Sakali in the Dutch Square opposite the maritime museum, not to say they don't exist anywhere else but they are no where near as many as 30 years ago, in fact in the day chips were virtually non existent, many not knowing what they were or how to cook and serve them, chips with everything now

Last edited:

IbrahimAbi

Grey wisdom
We watched the traditional foods in restaurants disappear over the years to be replaced by kofte shops, Mehmet did ok selling kofte last year, so I will open a kofte shop next door, I'm fed up with selling magic carpets and fez's. Our memory in Bodrum was of large rectangular pans with various casseroles in, stuffed this and that and trays of different pilavs and an abundance of breads, the last one I recall in Bodrum was called Sakali in the Dutch Square opposite the maritime museum, not to say they don't exist anywhere else but they are no where near as many as 30 years ago, in fact in the day chips were virtually non existent, many not knowing what they were or how to cook and serve them, chips with everything now
You can even get Number 35 and chips

Latest Posts

Top Bottom