cirali

Turkey holds ex-PM Ecevit funeral
This is being broadcasted on the TV right now on all Turkish channels. As we are a day of remembering......

Thousands of mourners have lined the streets of the Turkish capital, Ankara, for the funeral procession of former prime minister Bulent Ecevit.
Mr Ecevit, prime minister five times in five decades, died last Sunday at the age of 81 after almost six months in a coma following a stroke.

The funeral was moved from Wednesday to allow more people to attend.

Mr Ecevit was probably best known for ordering Turkish troops into Cyprus in 1974 after a Greek-backed coup.

"People's Ecevit! Turkey is proud of you," chanted the mourners.

The crowd, some weeping, showered the hearse bearing his coffin with flowers, and many waved Turkish flags, banners and portraits of Mr Ecevit, a political force in the country for half a century.

State burial

Around 10,000 police officers are on duty and have closed roads for the funeral procession which will include ceremonies at the Turkish parliament and at Ankara's biggest mosque.

Following a change in the law made this week, Mr Ecevit will be buried at Ankara state cemetery, alongside the founders of the republic.

There has been some speculation the funeral of this staunch secularist could develop into a protest against the government, which has its roots in political Islam, the BBC's Sarah Rainsford reports from Ankara.

Mr Ecevit was prime minister when the EU accepted Turkey as an accession candidate and when the Kurdish separatist leader Abdullah Ocalan was caught.

But his last years in office were beset by his own ill-health and an ailing economy.

His party suffered a landslide defeat in 2002, allowing the current government to sweep to power.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/europe/6138498.stm

Published: 2006/11/11 08:18:59 GMT

© BBC MMVI

madturkishcow

LİVİNG İN PARADİSE
Hi again
I have been watching this all morning and sniffing. What with rememberance day and now the funeral... :crazy: I have decided that I want exactly the same ceremony if it is possible :lol:.
It has been a wonderful (if funerals can be wonderful) ceremony from start to finish. Reminds me of the State funeral held for 'Winnie'. What a great, fitting tribute for a Turk who was obviously well loved,admired, respected and served his country faithfully. I was amazed at how many of 'Joe Public' turned out and were clearly upset by his death. It is pouring down with rain here, grey and overcast so the thought that 'Heavens Angels are crying' is rather apt.

Mkc

Last edited:

cirali

I have been sniffing all morning too. Bloody alleriges....just kidding... on the serious side it has been a couple of tearful days.

Yestertay was also the memorial for the 68th anniversary of ATaTurk's death. I not for his beliefs of a republic state a lot of us might not be here today.

http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=58924

I attended the cerimonies at the public school where my children go to school. They read peoms and letter's from AtaTurk. I always get emotional.

Turkey remembers its founder Atatürk
Saturday, November 11, 2006

ANKARA - Turkish Daily News

Turkey's founder, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, was honored all around the country on the 68th anniversary of his death on Friday.

The first ceremony was held at Atatürk's mausoleum, Anıtkabir, with dignitaries led by President Ahmet Necdet Sezer paying their respects at Atatürk's tomb. Starting at 9.05 a.m., the whole country ground to a halt for two minutes of silence, with flags at half mast.

After the ceremony at Anıtkabir, Sezer spoke at a memorial meeting at the Atatürk Culture, Language and History Institute, where he said: “Our great leader knew the fact that secularism was the key to civilization and enlightenment. In short, secularism means to be a man.”

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, speaking at the same meeting, was less confrontational, calling on Atatürk's principles to be above daily politics.

Last edited:

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
Oh gosh.......I would have loved to watch that,

well yes, Ecevit was greatly loved, they say one of the reasons is also that he is the first Prime Minister who didn't make himself rich.....
I don't know if the invasion of Cyprus was a good thing or a bad thing, but it made him a hero, and Turks do love heroes

I admit, I'm do like to watch that kind of stuff, and I always get emotional as well....
thanks for sharing this

VWBug

I am a Turk
sparrow said:
Oh gosh.......I would have loved to watch that,

well yes, Ecevit was greatly loved, they say one of the reasons is also that he is the first Prime Minister who didn't make himself rich.....
I don't know if the invasion of Cyprus was a good thing or a bad thing, but it made him a hero, and Turks do love heroes

I admit, I'm do like to watch that kind of stuff, and I always get emotional as well....
thanks for sharing this

Sparrow, he was also the last pm who didn't make himself rich. I would say he is the third best person in Turkish Republic history after Ataturk and Ismet Inonu who worked very hard for Turkey. He will be always remembered.

cirali

Sparrow, he was also the last pm who didn't make himself rich. I would say he is the third best person in Turkish Republic history after Ataturk and Ismet Inonu who worked very hard for Turkey. He will be always remembered.

His funeral went on for more than 4 hours and the thousand and thousands of people filled the Kizilay square and local suburb of Kocatepe in Ankara. He was buried along side some of the great leaders of Turkey in a goverment grave site.

The one thing of him that I found really interesting is that he wished to have a normal car with driver ( I think it was a Renualt ) not the fancy, big, decked out Mercedes that most politicans have.

he was one of the few Turkish leaders that was eloquent in english..
he been in university in London
he was more shrewd than people realized..but he made a big mistake by trying to hang on to power in his last year or so when his health had clearly broken..leading to a massive vote for the present party.
what suprised me was how unpopular the Ak party is with pro-secularists...and the chanting and booing that went on when the present prime minister appeared.
he also drove a Lada!

cirali

thrifty man driving a Lada!!!!! I also agree he should have resigned earlier but in his time a good honest leader.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom