Helenm150

Turgutreis to Leeds
Hi there, I am thinking of relocating back to the UK - to Leeds - initially to rent for six months - and have started researching the surrounding areas: Skipton, Ilkley ..... and then I read a terrible article about Shipley which made me take off my rose coloured glasses:

Shipley, West Yorkshire. Chavtowns

I am looking for a scenic small town location with good commuter links to Leeds - can anyone with local knowledge give me any recommendations?

Thanking you in advance, Helen xx

Last edited:

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Turgutreis to Leeds
Are you serious Helen..?
If so, do you remember the TV series "Last of the summer wine..?"
It was filmed in a small Yorkshire town called Holmfirth.. i remember stopping off there one year on the way from Skegness to my mums near Liverpool..

Take a look at this...

Holmfirth

Alan. :)

Last edited:

Helenm150

Turgutreis to Leeds
Yes, I think so Alan - I have been in Turkey for two and a half years now - I came to find a developer who had taken a large deposit off me and now I have sorted that out I have no reason to stay - I am not rich enough and too young to retire ha ha!: Holmfirth looks beautiful and it has 3 railway stations close by - I will check which ones serve Leeds.

Nearest stations:
(2.3 miles) Brockholes
(3.1 miles) Honley
(3.2 miles) Stocksmoor

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Turgutreis to Leeds
It's a really nice little town from what i remember of it Helen... good luck with your research... it might be ideal.. though the winters will be a bit harsh... it's on the edge of the moors but close to the M62, not sure which station would be the best link though.

I checked this link Helen.. it looks like you'd have to change at Huddersfield from all of those you named.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/print_maps/liverpool.pdf

Alan.

Last edited:

Helenm150

Turgutreis to Leeds
Yes, I will check it out - looking at righmove, rental prices seem to be iro £450 per month for a 1 bed cottage or apartment .... but it is closer to Huddersfield than Leeds .... looks beautiful though! We had a terrible winter in Turgutreis last year - so much rain and continuing into April - and the properties in Turkey concrete rather than cavity wall insulation - damp, cold and miserable - so even if the winter is harsh in Holmfirth or Yorkshire at least I will be able to keep warm and toasty indoors!

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Turgutreis to Leeds
Hi Helen,

I have real close links to Leeds as both my mum and step-dad are from there..i myself have lived there, studied at Leeds Uni and worked at many of the hospitals there..

Check out Yeadon, Guisley, Rawdon or Otley. They are to the north of Leeds but with the benefit of being super close to Leeds/Bradford airport should your desire to come back over to Turkey consumes you!! They are also a short drive to Harrogate.

A bit closer to Leeds city itself there is Horsforth or even Calverley..

If you let me know what direction you want to be heading from Leeds, i can give you a few more suggestions as i know the area really well.

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Turgutreis to Leeds
Thanks Sasa,
I was hoping someone with a bit more geographical knowledge of the area than me would come along... you'll probably be of more help to Helen than me... I'm originally from the other side of the Pennines.

Alan.

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Turgutreis to Leeds
Hi Alan..

Im actually a little bit of a hobo as i've lived on both sides of The Pennines..before my move to Antalya i was living in Manchester and before that in Cheshire..

I know the North West really well also..it helps as i've travelled the length and breadth of it due to my job!

So which fine place do you hail from?

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Turgutreis to Leeds
Hi Sasa,
I was born and brung up in Warrington.. though left home when i was 16 straight out of school..though i still have a brother and sister and her family living in Warrington I don't get up there very often now, except for funerals..Lol.

Alan.

Helenm150

Turgutreis to Leeds
Hi Helen,

I have real close links to Leeds as both my mum and step-dad are from there..i myself have lived there, studied at Leeds Uni and worked at many of the hospitals there..

Check out Yeadon, Guisley, Rawdon or Otley. They are to the north of Leeds but with the benefit of being super close to Leeds/Bradford airport should your desire to come back over to Turkey consumes you!! They are also a short drive to Harrogate.

A bit closer to Leeds city itself there is Horsforth or even Calverley..

If you let me know what direction you want to be heading from Leeds, i can give you a few more suggestions as i know the area really well.
Thanks Sasa, yes I do remember Yeadon and also Horsforth and Pudsey - I am more familiar with north Leeds because I was usually approaching from the Durham area. I will be working in Leeds City centre but being close to the airport would be handy for Easyjet flights down to Exeter - to visit family in Axminster - although I think maybe a lot of the smaller towns have a good train service to Leeds Bradford airport. There are some beautiful city apartments available for rent - in The Calls area for example - but I lived in an apartment in London (Tooting) for years - so not sure if I want that lifestyle again - although maybe for the first six month - especially as they will be winter months - it might be easier initially and I could then take my time to explore the surrounding areas for a spring/summer move .....

sasa

Pimp My Sasha!
Turgutreis to Leeds
Know it well Alan...

I used to work in the BUPA and the General as part of my job..

Anyway i'm going off topic aren't i??..sorry Helen!!

Helenm150

Turgutreis to Leeds
Know it well Alan...

Don't worry, you two carry on, you have given me plenty to think about - my litte grey cells are working overtime ha ha!

Alan Fidler

Ceteris paribus
Turgutreis to Leeds
Know it well Alan...

Would that be the BUPA near the lord Daresbury hotel..? been past it loads of times.. my brother had a pub called the Chetwood Arms on the Northwich road for 10 years. My god you're taking me back Sasa.. hehehe..

Don't stay up all night Helen... you'll wear out those grey cells.

Alan.

Mushroom

Turgutreis to Leeds
If you fancy leaving the memories for a while and getting down to the basics again - try south of Leeds, Wakefield, Normanton area where railway connections are great and car parking is free.House prices are good whether renting or buying.
Holmfirth is where they have three thumbs in each hand - say no more.
Although I am biased in my own area, I speak for decent pricing and good connections, but would admit my actual preference is to the east of Leeds - look for a North Yorkshire connection into the city.
As for the city of Leeds, well if you rent, pay nothing like the asking prices, there are about 1000 apartments currently completed and without rentals.
The city itself is full of nobody's wanting to be somebody and has all the appeal of a frontal lobotomy. Visit by all means, then get out again !

Top Bottom