Trying to quit smoking.
I am currently trying to quit the evil weed and was wndering if anyone else on the Forum is trying to do the same.I have been off the fags for nearly a month and could use all the support I can get.We could start our own little support group.

Anne

Trying to quit smoking.
Hubby's been of them for a month now too Steve.
Me...............I lasted all of five hours [}:)] I've no willpower as far as the dreaded weed in concerned. I'm determined to keep trying though. Just need to set myself a new date (again)[:0]
Well done you! :D :D :D it's far from easy.
Anne

Trevor

Trying to quit smoking.
:D:DBoth me and Jai smoked 40 each a day until 5 years ago - were spending (at that time) 86 quid a week on tabs! I used patches which give you a steady stream of nicotine into your system, reducing in dosage as you go - Jai chewed the chewing gum when he felt like a fag. IT WAS THE BEST THING WE HAVE EVER DONE!!! Not only for health (do you know that when you stub out your last cig you reduce your chances of having a stroke by half?) Do you know that cigarettes contain 3,000 chemicals including lead and arsenic?
It's not a walk in the park - what I would recommend is - take all the help you can get, use every trick, aid, support you can get. Don't listen to 'friends' who smoke saying 'well, you'll never do it'. YOU CAN - BELIEVE ME!!!!!!! I did..... and if you need a little tlc just climb onto Trevs couch and lay all your probs on me luv.....

Lesley:D

Lesley

Trying to quit smoking.
cant help as i have never touched the poison in my life
but wish you all the luck in the world to kick the habit:D[8D]

Trying to quit smoking.
Thanks for the support guys.I have gone from 40 fags a day down to 2 biros. It doesn't matter if it helps though!

Trying to quit smoking.
well done Steve & Anne's hubby, a month is good, keep it up!
Trevor and Jai, wish we'd given up 5 years ago! I have been saying for years that I am gonna give it up, but not managed it yet. Did anyone else here use patches / nicotine chewing gum etc or is it sheer determination? Patches just made me crave fags all day, I might try the chewing gum again. Anyone read Alan Carr's "The Easy Way to give up smoking"? & did it work for you?

Lynn

shorty

Trying to quit smoking.
My mum stopped with Alan Carr's book and she had honestly felt life wouldn't be worth living without fags! She found it easy too, after several failed attempts prior to reading the book. It did nothing for me though. My sister has been stopped 5 weeks now using patches and my friend, a true addict, stopped 2 months ago using the pill Zyban. She hasn't found it too hard either. I'm still psyching up to stopping!
Carol

alain01

Trying to quit smoking.
I quit just over eight years ago Steve but appreciate it is different for everyone..I had changed from cigarettes to cigars and realised it was just a habit and that I was planning my day around a pack of nicotine..I was doing a college course at the time and thought that would have made things harder..When I stopped I started putting money into a bank account that I would have spent on tobacco...When it got to £5000 after less than 3 years I stopped counting..Oh, and my younger brother died from Lung Cancer the day before his 51st birthday three years ago..That would be enough to stop me if I still smoked !!...Alan.

Aladin

Trying to quit smoking.
I was on over 60 a day - working on oil rigs meant we always had duty frees! Went to a hypno who spoke to me for what seemed like 15mins but I had a nap 'cos I was bored - anyway never smoked from that day - over 10 years ago. If I ever had an urge for one I imediately thought of the smell of a dirty ashtray!

alain01

Trying to quit smoking.
I agree wholeheartedly Rob...and yes, it was more difficult in the duty free days...Alan.

Mag

Trying to quit smoking.
Hi everyone,

I know, cigs are a curse and it is so difficult to kick the habit.

I gave them up for 5 months at one stage with the help of patches, and found it easier than I thought. However, then I went on holiday, and thought I could just have one after dinner[}:)] the worst thing I did..because you can't just have one..your're addicted again, and it's harder to give them up second time round.

My hubby is off them 6 months, with the help of chewing biros! It is just habit though, as since they have introduced the smoking ban here in Ireland, I don't even think about cigarettes while I'm in work, and I could'nt be bothered going outside the pub while I'm out, for a smoke. So I have cut down in that respect, just wish they would ban smoking everywhere!

You do have to set a date and stick to it. I have decided to start again when I get back from Turkey, as I just know there is no point in trying to give up beforehand, with the temptation of Duty Free and knowing you can smoke anywhere.

Well done to all you ex-smokers. May you be an inspiration to the rest of us!:)

Mag

sharron

Trying to quit smoking.
I gave up smoking nearly 4 years ago and put on 3 stone!! My children kept saying "Mum will you die from cancer?" I felt ashamed and gave up.
Only 4 years on to catch my eldest child smoking in his bedroom?
I do still "smoke" pens at my desk and when i go out with my friends that smoke i ask them to blow it in my face because i love the smell.
I used no patches just willpower but i did keep a packet of fags in the house for nearly 2 years as my security blanket!!
Good on you Steve for trying

blossom

Trying to quit smoking.
Would desperatly like to give up the evil weed BUTTTTTTTTTTT know it is just a cop out but have absolutly no will power at all to give up, but think hypnotheraphy is the answer know a lot of people who have quit by that method.
Good luck Steve and hope you do succed:)

alain01

Trying to quit smoking.
If you don't have a fair amount of willpower it will be very hard to stop .. my sister-in-law smokes like a trooper and the grandkids are forever telling her but she doesn't have enough confidence which is also important...and she suffers with chest infections several times a year..

Sylvia

Trying to quit smoking.
I smoke, have tried everything, patches, hypnotist, gum, i think the only thing is willpower and i have none. Would love to give up the awful habit.
Good luck Steve stay of the awful, smelly weeds

Lynda

In my dreams I'm dancing
Trying to quit smoking.
I gave up 29 yrs ago when I was pregnant and have never looked back. best thing I ever did but I wish I could get my 20-30 a day hubby to see that... Good luck Steve, like with any addiciton you will find your own way with this but remember to reward yourself and allow some slips..

kate1234

Trying to quit smoking.
Well sorry to say but I dont advise anyone to give up the cigges i was off them 9 years and every day was S**** now im back on the and well ......apart from breathless and horrible cough Im great either prozac or fags

kadin

Trying to quit smoking.
I'm afraid COLD TURKEY is the only answer:D:DPerhaps with a bit of help! And like Lynda says YOU have got to want ciggylessbriaty badly enough.

Glad I don't smoke but I used to drink, gave that up 8 years ago :D:Dwasn't easy but I did it! I would be a liar if I said I didn't miss it but don't reget doing it, it changed my life giving it up. It took me 4 years to give it up so easy does it,keep it simple.

They say smoking is harder to give up than drinking? Any views on this?

Alcohol takes 2 years to withdraw fully from your system particulary after you've poisoned your brain for years!

At my gym there is a woman who gave up smoking after 40 YEARS! She looks wonderful now and positively glows with health!

I've never smoked and I don't drink! But I'm certainly not boring:D I get by on sheer personality and endless cups of Cay alone now LOL:D:D

Top Bottom