trying to learn Turkish
Merhaba!!!! I would like to say I think it is brilliant the way some of you are teaching us Turkish on here!!! I know a few words ect but not much I"m bad enough with English sometimes!!!!haha so now I am determind to look on here everyday and hopfully learn. Could you explain to me alot of the phrases that end with yorum. if I was saying istiyorum (I want) do I have to but the ben in front???? bit confused about it thanks very much and I am keeping my fingers crossed I might one day be nearly as good as you are.

KKOB

Completely Chillaxed
trying to learn Turkish
No, I think if you say Ben Istiyorum it's almost as if you're saying " I I want"

Istemek is the verb "to want"

Anyway, one of the scholars will be along soon to explain it.

Last edited:

kaplumba

trying to learn Turkish
iyor is the present continuous tense which Turks use a lot and it is the one I find easiest to use. It is kind of the equivalent of our 'ing'. Turks tend to use it instead of present tense ie I want, I do, I go etc. In it's place they tend to say I am going, doing, wanting etc.
um on the end makes it personal to you.
so - istiyorum means I am wanting (well really 'I wanting' in the Tarzan and Jane kind of way) and there is no need to use ben although you can and it kind of emphasises it.

istemek - to want
istiyorum - I am wanting
istiyorsun you are wanting
istiyor - he/she/it is wanting

some others

Yapmak - to do
Yapiyorum - i am doing
yapiyorsun - you are doing
yapiyor - he/she/it is doing
Sorry but don't have the correct keys so i doesn't have the dot here due to vowel harmony.

gelmek - to come
geliyorum - I am coming
geliyorsun - you are coming
geliyor - he/she/it is coming

I won't confuse you with any more but I expect Shirl has posted present continuous tense somewhere.

Last edited:
trying to learn Turkish
Hi Cazandkieth ,what you have noticed with YOR is the present tense..the here and now

Take a verb like İSTEMEK ..this is the name of the verb 'to want'
Take off the end MEK
you now have the root or stem of the verb
the present tense sign is either İ-YOR Ü-YOR I-YOR U-YOR....oof that seems very complicated..it isnt...this is to do with the vowel harmony and this is just a way to keep the sound smooottthhh .. bear with me

Now on to the stem you add whoever it is that 'wants.'.... İ you he she it we they
(BEN) İST-İYOR UM i am wanting ....
(BİZ) İST-İYOR UZ we are wanting

(SEN) İST-İYOR SUN you are wanting (familiar used for people you know and children)
(SİZ) İST İYOR SUNUZ you are wanting ( Formal people you dont know or who are senior to you in the pecking order ..and also for the plural you.)

(O) İST- İYOR he/she /it is wanting..theres no suffix for these three..and theres no difference between he/she/it in Turkish (weird innit)
(ONLAR) İST-İYOR LAR they are wanting

You can omit BEN BİZ SEN SİZ O ONLAR since these pronouns are on the ends.
However when you first start off learning sometimes it helps to use them so you can keep your eye on the ball. Theres nothing wrong in using them Turks do it all the time
Also BEN etc is used when you want to emphasise a person in the sentence.

Turkish verbs either have MEK or MAK on the end..in the way that we say 'TO want' 'TO sit' this is the infinitive of the verb.
heres a little example for you to study
Gitmek İstiyorum. İ want to go.. literally translated..to go wanting am İ
notice that there are two verbs here
Gitmek stays in the infinitive 'to go' exactly as it would in english.

Heres a present tense verb with a different harmony U-YOR
OTURMAK 'to sit' also used for living somewhere
take off the MAK
OTUR sit
OTUR UYOR UM i am sitting
OTUR UYOR UZ we are sitting
OTUR UYOR SUN you are sitting
OTUR UYOR SUNUZ you are sitting
OTURUYOR he/she/it is sitting
OTURUYORLAR they are sitting.

dont be put off when you see a long word like oturuyorlar..break it down
otur uyor lar

Alanya'da oturuyorum i am living in Alanya
oturmak İstiyoruz we want to sit

İ hope thats not too much info..i tend to go on a bit.:nod:

trying to learn Turkish
Sorry Jane..i must have been writing when you posted as i hadnt see your post..its more or less the same as mine xxxx

Hey mods sorry for the back to back xxx

kaplumba

trying to learn Turkish
No problem Shirley - just thought I would have a go as I am the iyor queen!! I can rattle on a bit in present continuous but get totally flumoxed with past, future and simple present.
Now I hate to contradict you Shirl as I'm fully aware you are a million times better at this than me. However I was taught by my frightfully correct and very scarey and strict teacher from Izmir that iyor/uyor etc is present continuous not present tense. It can be used for something right now but also for something that is ongoing/continuous. She told me Turks use it a lot for things that are happening right now where we probably wouldn't.
They do have a present tense which can also be called simple present tense or aorist.
Examples would be gelirim, isterim.

I know many people will start to lose interest when you start talking about tenses but I couldn't possibly even start to understand Turkish without knowing about it. It was well worth me sitting down with a book or better still a teacher and a book and getting it sorted in my mind.

trying to learn Turkish
Hi Jane your teacher is quite right..iyor etc is what we would class as continuous present/şimdiki zaman..but for the sake of encouraging people i just call it the present until they are happy with it..then bash them with the simple present tense..which is anything but simple.
İ think the simple tense which Turks call Geniş Zaman/broad tense is very difficult to learn as there are so many variations.what do you think.

kaplumba

trying to learn Turkish
Yes I can see your point but I would have been totally flummoxed if I had been told it was present tense and not really understood about it meaning wanting, doing, going etc and the way Turks use it in a different way to us. Then at a later date finding out about the simple present tense. I think that if people really want to get their heads around Turkish they have to be prepared to get these tenses straight in their minds. For me it took a bit of doing but I think I have a better understanding of how the language is constructed. I'm still very much a beginner but I do have an idea of how to use new words as I learn them.

Helenm150

trying to learn Turkish
I told my hairdresser the other day that I will be trying to learn Turkish this winter - he paused for a moment - put down the hairdryer - looked at me - and said "imkansiz" - which apparently means "impossible" ha ha!

trying to learn Turkish
Hi Jane thats it also true..but İ think..and in this i would disagree with your teacher..the Turkish simple present tense is very different to the English simple present tense in that it relates to things that are not always in the present.

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
trying to learn Turkish
Oh, I love your discussion about tenses !
I do agree with Jane, that you really do need to know about tenses if you want to learn Turkish, you really have to drill it in
I have been drilling the present continuous till I hated it, I was learning it like we used to learn tables of multiplication at home, it worked though !

And another thing you really really have to know by heart are the endings of the possesive , and to be able not to mix them up with the endings of the tenses (and they do ressemble each other, don't they ?)
I think if you know those two by heart, you are really getting somewhere

By the way : I do love the geniş zaman, it is so more beautifull then the continuous time, but indeed very difficult, and as Shirley says, it has a lot of meanings we (haha) don't have in English (lol, neither in Dutch)

Mirazz

trying to learn Turkish
I do agree with Jane, that you really do need to know about tenses if you want to learn Turkish, you really have to drill it in

And another thing you really really have to know by heart are the endings of the possesive , and to be able not to mix them up with the endings of the tenses /QUOTE]

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Any learning methods maybe? I have books galore and do try my best but it just does not seem to be registering:crazy: Maybe a good book recommendation. Heeeelllpppp -Miriam x

trying to learn Turkish
Hi Miriam have a look at this web site..ive posted a link before but there are so many links maybe we should have a sticky to links for learning and all the web sites easy to find.
This web site is by a Greek teacher of Turkish,he lives in Athens and is very approachable ..he loves feedback about his site.
e-Learning Turkish Grammar / e-Learning Turkish Language
where do you feel your strong points are..and where would you like the most explanations..
The language is fascinating as there is always something new to learn.

Firebrand

trying to learn Turkish
I told my hairdresser the other day that I will be trying to learn Turkish this winter - he paused for a moment - put down the hairdryer - looked at me - and said "imkansiz" - which apparently means "impossible" ha ha!

I don't think that he was being very fair to you! I think that learning English must be much harder as it seems that it is a language that makes up the rules as it goes along. At least with Turkish once you have the basics of grammar you can muddle along with the aid of a dictionary (and in my case a large helping of goodwill from the poor person I am directing it at!)

kaplumba

trying to learn Turkish

And another thing you really really have to know by heart are the endings of the possesive , and to be able not to mix them up with the endings of the tenses /QUOTE]

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Any learning methods maybe? I have books galore and do try my best but it just does not seem to be registering:crazy: Maybe a good book recommendation. Heeeelllpppp -Miriam x

I think you must discover what kind of learner you are. I am very much a visual learner and must see it written down before I have any chance of remembering it. After that it is important to use it a lot. Every time I am here I make an effort to speak to everybody about anything. They must think I'm some kind of crazy woman but I don't care. I have several computer games and many books. I have had years of private and group lessons. I have CD's in the car. So I have bombarded myself with ever possible method. The only thing I haven't done is taken a Turkish lover !!!!!! I still consider myself a beginner but I get by and have made many lovely friends by having a go.

Mirazz

trying to learn Turkish
Classes are really difficult to find where I live and private tutors even more rare! I have only been learning for about 18 months and think I should be talking like a native :). I think the only solution for me is to move there lol lol (dream on Miriam :().

trying to learn Turkish
Thanks everybody I have learnt something here definately!!!! so maybe it isn"t "imkansiz" for even me to learn!!!??? haha

sparrow

Nadine in disguise
trying to learn Turkish
I think you must discover what kind of learner you are. I am very much a visual learner and must see it written down before I have any chance of remembering it. After that it is important to use it a lot. Every time I am here I make an effort to speak to everybody about anything. They must think I'm some kind of crazy woman but I don't care. I have several computer games and many books. I have had years of private and group lessons. I have CD's in the car. So I have bombarded myself with ever possible method. The only thing I haven't done is taken a Turkish lover !!!!!! I still consider myself a beginner but I get by and have made many lovely friends by having a go.

You are great Jane !
:77wu:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom