eastriding

Trusting shopkeepers
Having run up a couple of bar bills and restraunt bills during the week, even though the owners didn't know me from Adam, I thought the owners had a trusting nature, (all paid up of course) but one shop owner was amazing. I was over at the shopping centre on my last day to use the orange cafes internet. I saw a big lalique glass style budda in the shop at the back of the centre that someone I know would love. The shopkeeper came down in price from 100 to 70 Lire but I told him I was windowshopping and didn't have my cards or the time to get to my hotel and back and wouldn't be back until next May, so he let me take the budda with a promise that I would pay him next May. I told him I had a villa but it's the first time I'd seen him. Either he was having a good day or I have a honest face.

parrot

Trusting shopkeepers
At a hotel we stayed in recently,when presented with the bill for various bits and pieces,by the owner,I jokingly said I have no money,I had to hastily stop the manager from paying this bill as he really thought I had no money.The majority are brilliant,but beware as there are still a lot of rip off merchants.

Last edited:

Raysalaff

Just Call Me Ray !
Trusting shopkeepers
We had a meal at Our Restaurant a couple of evenings before going home I paid with Visa, the machine had a problem and the paper roll got stuck,
The owner thought that my payment had not gone through and cancelled the payment.
He cleared the roll and I entered my PIN again every thing was OK.

The next morning whilst walking down to get some bread, one of the waiters called me over, I thought to ask me if I wanted breakfast, he then told me that my payment the night before had gone through twice, with that he called the owner over who handed me 40YTL the amount I had over paid. :thumbup: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Ray :)

peter the postie

Wer'e not really here
Trusting shopkeepers
Thats nice, my friend had the opposite happen to him at The Summer garden though. They fiddled about getting the machine working and when he got home they had charged him twice!!

rafiki

Andy
Trusting shopkeepers
When I first moved over to Turkey I went into 'Vittelos', a furniture shop near the 'Migros' I ordered some bedroom furniture and paid for it with a 'Visa card'
That evening the furniture was delivered and wasn't satisfactory or put together correctly after a lot of argueing and me losing my temper with the boss who had to make 2 or 3 trips backwards and forwards to the shop it was finished when the men left my apartment really pi**ed off with me I promised myself never to go into his shop again.
Two days later me and my missus were walking past his shop and the boss came running out shouting something to us and beckoning us into his shop, preparing myself for another argument I go into the shop only to be shown my 'Visa card' still sitting in the machine where I had left it!! now thats what I call honesty. I felt so rotten about shouting at him we went out and bought him and his wife and kid in the shop a gateaux..He was so surprised he was almost in tears when we took it into him..So yes, there are some trusting people out there!! :)

JohnF

Trusting shopkeepers
eastriding said:
Having run up a couple of bar bills and restraunt bills during the week, even though the owners didn't know me from Adam, I thought the owners had a trusting nature, (all paid up of course) but one shop owner was amazing.
I know it's fairly common practise in some area's to let holidaymakers do this, but sometimes it really can backfire on the bar owner.

A friend of ours was a partner in a bar in Fethiye and did this regularly. Unfortunately, he ended up with about 1500GBP worth of bills that were never paid over a period of less than 18 months. Right up until the day the bar closed, he really believed the majority of these individuals would eventually come in and pay their bills. The split was about 50/50 between folks who still lived in Fethiye/Calis and those who were there regularly with about 90% of them being from Brits.

Apart from a few biggies, the majority were all between 50 and 100YTL. Not a fortune in themselves but they soon added up.

JF

demsy3

Trusting shopkeepers
It is so refreshing to hear some positive comments after looking at so many negative things both on the internet forums and recent news stories

Top Bottom